Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I now have Kinoma working for full length movies with excellent quality and reasonable sized files. ONLY DRAWBACk is it means buying decent programmes!
    I am now using DVDCopyexpress to rip to VOB files (about $45) then Dr Divx(about $48) to encode the VOB to avi. on the full size mode. This results in an avi about 500+MB which can then be converted using Kinoma to about 400mb depending on the quality you want. I guess you can get two moderately looking movies on one 512 SD card, but I prefer better quality.
    This is not rocket science, unlike the Vdub and other decoders which did my head in and wasted many hours! So it costs you to get the decoders, but what the heck, time is money!
    Wow those are some massive files! My high quality divx files only come out to ~140mb. I don't think I could ever use kinoma with output files that large, there wouldn't be room on my card for much else.

Virtual dub isn't very complex, the directions on mmplayers site itself walks you through how to use it for the most part:
    http://www.mmplayer.com/encoding.php
    heck I'll even give a walkthrough on its use (how I make a t600 movie) if you anyone really want's it.

Well, the only thing that matters is that your happy! Best of luck to you on your movie watching!
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

can you post that walkthrough..

starting with a dvd maybe?
    okay, so I've thrown together a ripping guide for mmplayer, which can be found here:
    http://tek.8m.net/mmplayer_DVD_copying.htm

I just wrote the faq up in word and saved as web page, so there's a good chance for errors if your not using internet explorer. This is also just a quick mock up, please email me with any errors, desired clarifications or any general comments about the guide.

Once I figure out why my university is determined to cache an archaic site of mine instead of using the current files I put on their server, I'll redo the guide and post it there.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

When I select the audio processing mode below, it will not let me "save as avi". It seems to only let me use the default modes. (none of which are mono). What do you recommend?

Also, around what size should we be getting for these type of files? A movie I did came out about 200 megs (but I had to use stereo sounds).

Once again- great job, just wanted to get a few clarifications

"For the audio, select “Audio -> Full processing mode” from the menu.
    Next in the menu select “Audio -> Compression” in the new window, select “Lame MP3” in the left pane and then check the box “Show all formats.” I myself prefer “48000Hz, 96kbps, CBR, mono 12KB/s.” Select the “OK” button . . . we are all set to go!
    Under the “File” menu, select “save as avi” and find a place to put your new .avi file, then hit save. After this finishes converting your movie you are now finished, after you have made sure your copy is working, you can delete your initial .avi file (the large one.)
    "
    Thanks, glad to hear my guide is working and helping out!

okay so in the audio compression window did you make sure to select the "show all formats" option? That should bring up all the mono settings.

Then, the "save as AVI" option is under the file menu in the main window. I went ahead and added some extra text to clarify that.

For hour and a half movies I've been seeing files sizes around 160mb. Two hour movies strech over 200mb. If you want to reduce the size some you can lower the bitrate to 112 or even 96 without too much loss.

Forget MMplayer Kinoma works...for now that is! Once PalmOS Cobalt appears, Kinoma will be dead fyi...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by Tekara
    Thanks, glad to hear my guide is working and helping out!

okay so in the audio compression window did you make sure to select the "show all formats" option? That should bring up all the mono settings.

Then, the "save as AVI" option is under the file menu in the main window. I went ahead and added some extra text to clarify that.

For hour and a half movies I've been seeing files sizes around 160mb. Two hour movies strech over 200mb. If you want to reduce the size some you can lower the bitrate to 112 or even 96 without too much loss.
    Yes. I did select the show all formats option. The mono option does show up then. I can select hit and hit ok.

However, when I then choose save as AVI and enter in a file name, I get the following error. "Error Initializing audio stream compression; the requested conversion is not possible."

(I am using version 1.5.10 of virtual dub)
    Wow those are some massive files! My high quality divx files only come out to ~140mb. I don't think I could ever use kinoma with output files that large, there wouldn't be room on my card for much else.

Virtual dub isn't very complex, the directions on mmplayers site itself walks you through how to use it for the most part:
    http://www.mmplayer.com/encoding.php
    heck I'll even give a walkthrough on its use (how I make a t600 movie) if you anyone really want's it.

Well, the only thing that matters is that your happy! Best of luck to you on your movie watching!
    Tekara,

Thanks for your guide. I've found it to be very helpful in getting up to speed on DVD ripping/VirtualDub et al. The FlasKMPEG website has a number of downloadable versions. Your manual did not specify which version. So, what version do I go with? Thanks.

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/14/2004 at 08:24 PM.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    gfunk -> I hope so, I really do like mmplayer, especially for the quality of movies that it plays.

LouisW -> hmm, that is an odd error, one that I'm not sure how to correct. . . about all I can say is to just go ahead and stick with the stereo encoding if it's working.

aolumide -> I've been using the 0.78.39 beta. . . I'll go ahead and put that info into my guide.
    Last edited by Tekara; 02/14/2004 at 08:00 PM.

Tekara-- I've downloaded the appropriate software and codecs, but when I try to save as .avi, I get the error message
    "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the audio source format."

What could I be doing wrong?
    hmm. . . did you rip a DVD or are you trying to convert an existing avi?

can you play the original avi? the one that you are trying to convert?

Tekara,

I actually had the same issue with saving my AVI file in mono format (using VDUB version 1.5.10 ) as reported by LouisW earlier. Had to go stereo format. The video and audio quality were impressive given it was running on a 160 X 120 screen size, and synched perfectly for the entire movie.

My initial VOB file size was 1.7 GB, and my final Treo AVI file was 192 MB!The DVD in question was S.W.A.T (Collin Farrell and Sam Jackson).

Now that I've conquered VDUB (props to your guide!), I'm going to experiment with a couple of things:

1) Using the Radium MP3 codec instead of LAME. Heard good things about it. Any info to share on this?

2) I may have used an inappropriate angle setting when I first ripped the DVD with DVDEncrypter. Again, any gotchas you care to share?

Overall, I just want to see how much more I could increase the overall quality of my 'production', though I'm not even sure it can get any better. Thanks for your great guide, man.

cheers,

aolumide
    My input on a few peoples' questions:

Someone had the following error:

No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the audio source format.
    This (I think) means that your "source" video is using a codec for the audio that your computer doesn't recognize. If you are able to even play this video on this computer then this would be a bit strange indeed. Does the video play?

Go to "properties" of the file and eventually worm down into the details of the file and Windows XP (and probably others) will outright tell you what codecs are being used for both audio and video. Post a reply here what audio codec your source file is using and if the video plays on your computer or not and I will try to give another suggestion.

I have had 100% success translating vids just by farting around with it and getting recipes for the various formats that I use.

Error Initializing audio stream compression; the requested conversion is not possible.
    Try going under AUDIO and then CONVERSION (not COMPRESSION) and check the box to "convert stereo to mono" and that should take care of that problem. Sometimes just using compression with mono works, sometimes the jump straight to compression from stereo to mono requires you check this box. Not sure what conditions require it. I've even needed to go into Conversion when jumping broad steps in audio bitrates and junk.

My first step was to get a VCD converted to the Treo. I got that working perfectly with like 3 recipes (high quality byte hog, med quality, and good quality tiny filesize). The tiny file size is about 1/2 the size of Kinoma and (in my opinioin) STILL better quality. Now any time I have any problems with a file and virtdub, I just convert it to VCD MPG1 first and then use my recipe virtdub settings and the movie comes out beautiful every time. Many programs can be used to convert to MPG1 VCD, I use one called TMPGEnc and use a template in it called "VCD NTSC". Granted this is two steps, but it eliminates headaches for me and yields great results.
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    Originally posted by mk3cn4
    My first step was to get a VCD converted to the Treo. I got that working perfectly with like 3 recipes (high quality byte hog, med quality, and good quality tiny filesize). The tiny file size is about 1/2 the size of Kinoma and (in my opinioin) STILL better quality. Now any time I have any problems with a file and virtdub, I just convert it to VCD MPG1 first and then use my recipe virtdub settings and the movie comes out beautiful every time. Many programs can be used to convert to MPG1 VCD, I use one called TMPGEnc and use a template in it called "VCD NTSC". Granted this is two steps, but it eliminates headaches for me and yields great results.
    mk3cn4,

Assuming one has ripped a dvd into its component VOB and IFO files, does your statement imply converting the pertinent VOB file to a VCD MPEG1 format using the TMPGEmc tool?

Also, could you elaborate in more detail on your 3 VDUB receipes (what are the exact settings for each one?)

Thx.

aolumide
    aolumide -> thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot.

you actually can get away with better quality, the treo600 is actually able to play a full 24fps, so when you do your first compression you can set it to the 24fps and have vobdec not mess with the framrate at all.

I can't really claim that there is a large visable difference as the "ghosting" on the treo600's screen is pretty bad and still causes a few of the blurring effects that one might initially blame on the slow framrate of 15fps.

for the radium codec, I've run into a problem with it's general availability. It seems like few places are willing to carry it due to "liscensing" problems, even though it might have some good potential, I'm not sure I really want to try and support it.

for the angle, you can catch that pretty early, after you rip the vob files you can use a dvd playing program to watch the files with. . . or you can even use flask itself, just hit the play button. If the movie has some inconsistencies or if the language isn't correct, try using a different angle. . . or an angle to begin with.

a few of my anime titles use different angles to show the opening sequence and credits in different languages. E.g. angle 1 is japanese, angle 2 is english, etc.

general thoughts -> I'm thinking that I should go ahead and switch my guide over to just using stereo sound, those that have used stereo have reported no ill effects and the file size doesn't appear that much larger.

I'm debating on just leaving the movie to run at 24fps (same as source DVD. If a few of you would like to be test subjects, go ahead and try it out and tell me thoughts on the end result. My initial tests show the file to be about 10-20mb larger and a bit smoother running.

all you need to do is make sure that flaskmpeg rips the vob files at default rate of 23.976fps and tell vobdec to make no changes to the framerate.

This (I think) means that your "source" video is using a codec for the audio that your computer doesn't recognize. If you are able to even play this video on this computer then this would be a bit strange indeed. Does the video play?
    The codec is MPEG Layer-3 Decoder, which I then installed (as part of the SLD Codec pack).

I couldn't compress the audio file, so I converted at the lowest setting (8,000Hz). VirtualDub was able to create the compressed file, which plays on my computer, but crashes MMPlayer.

I'm familiar with TMPGEnc, which I use to convert .avi to .mpg (to play on my standalone DVD player). Perhaps I'd have more success with this. I too would appreciate instructions.
    Originally posted by aolumide

mk3cn4,

Assuming one has ripped a dvd into its component VOB and IFO files, does your statement imply converting the pertinent VOB file to a VCD MPEG1 format using the TMPGEmc tool?

Also, could you elaborate in more detail on your 3 VDUB receipes (what are the exact settings for each one?)

Thx.

aolumide
    My vids are typically not DVD rips but it shouldn't matter. If you start with a DVD, you need to convert that away from VOB files. There are many programs out there that will convert it for you, I think Flask was one of them. Virtdub has a problem with MPG2 (the native DVD format), and Virtdub has inconsistant output for different sources and combinations (in my opinion), so I always use TMPGEnc and use the VCD[NTSC] template and convert the video to MPG1 VCD format first. TMPGENC won't be able to use the VOB files as sources, you need to get them to a windows-viewable format first, but after that TMPGENC will then get it to your common denominator of VCD format where you can use your indentical virtdub settings time and time again with no variations in virtdub, where most of the confusion and problems lie. It seems like you need to tweak virtdub based on the source, the source's framerate, the source's codec, etc etc etc.. doing this step ensures the source is now an MPG1 VCD, the exact same as the last video you just converted. Problems gone.

My recipes in Virtdub are just variations of Divx bitrates and mp3 bitrates, to where I have the settings saved as "treosmall", "treomed", and "treolarge". I am at work so I don't know the exact settings but I am thinking that I used 128bitrate and MP3 mono for small(?) and maybe 250bitrate and stereo for larger high quality. The rest of the settings are the same from recollection, just as described elsewhere here.

Did the Radium Codec help anyone? Did anyone else show that the Lame MP3 codec was indeed LAME?
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    Originally posted by mk3cn4
    My recipes in Virtdub are just variations of Divx bitrates and mp3 bitrates, to where I have the settings saved as "treosmall", "treomed", and "treolarge". I am at work so I don't know the exact settings but I am thinking that I used 128bitrate and MP3 mono for small(?) and maybe 250bitrate and stereo for larger high quality. The rest of the settings are the same from recollection, just as described elsewhere here.
    Thx for responding, mk3cn4 . If you don't mind, when you can, I'd appreciate it if you could post your divx and mp3 settings in detail.
    Did the Radium Codec help anyone? Did anyone else show that the Lame MP3 codec was indeed LAME?
    I found the Radium MP3 codec on a german web site. Don't know if it's the same version as yours but I have to say that I did not notice any significant difference in audio compared to the LAME codec.

rgds,

aolumide
    aolumide -> thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot.
    You're welcome, Tekara. Your taking the time to put the guide together for others exemplifies what the spirit of a forum such as this (T|C) should be: Disseminating information for the betterment of all.
    I'm debating on just leaving the movie to run at 24fps (same as source DVD. If a few of you would like to be test subjects, go ahead and try it out and tell me thoughts on the end result. My initial tests show the file to be about 10-20mb larger and a bit smoother running.
    I'll be able to do some testing this coming weekend, and let you know.
    all you need to do is make sure that flaskmpeg rips the vob files at default rate of 23.976fps and tell vobdec to make no changes to the framerate.
    Just to clarify: So, when using Flask MPEG to perform the first compression, you're saying to keep the frame rate at 23.97 fps (i.e In Flask, select from the menu "Options -> Advanced Options";Next click on "Video" tab, and select the Output Frame Rate radio button next to 23.97 fps?) If this is correct, should the “Deinterlace Output” and “blend instead of interpolate” checkboxes still be checked, or left unchecked?

Thanks for clarifying.

rgds,

aolumide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast