1.    #1  
    So I'm watching the highly sporadic rollout of SMS in this discussion list and keep testing my own unit.

I have the firmware update on here (yes, I realize that doesn't make it work or not work but rather addresses related bugs). I'm in central Virginia (Sweet Briar near Lynchburg and south of Charlottesville).

The entire time I've owned my phone (since November) I have gotten:

Unable to communicate with the network. The message will automatically be resent later.

This hasn't changed at all even in recent days. Both voice and data work in my area.

I ask because I keep seeing references to an error message indicating the service is not yet available... as if the phone acknowledges that it should work but just not quite yet. My particular error message seems a lot more blunt.

Am I reading too much into this or is my area just completely overlooked as it has been with nearly every other service from Sprint since day one?

I'm testing by sending SMS messages to my own ten-digit cell number.

Thanks!
    - Aaron
    ---
    Aaron's MAME'd Millipede:
    http://sparhawk.sbc.edu/MAME
    weird, I'm in the l.a. california area waiting too... since I got the treo in dec, I've gotten the "service not available" message. just today (and only one time) I got the "unable to communicate with network, will be resent later" message. thought we were making progress here, but I guess not. it's back to "service not available again..
    -- berto
    Originally posted by amahler

The entire time I've owned my phone (since November) I have gotten:

Unable to communicate with the network. The message will automatically be resent later.
    I also received this message for the first time today, however, I think it was due to the fact that my phone was actually out of service. At some point, when I wasn't paying attention, my phone went back into service and the message-send was attempted. That's when I received the normal message telling me that the service is not available yet...blah blah blah.
    So, I'm not sure what your phone's problem is since you have both data and voice. I would just recommend waiting until you see that other people in the VA/DC area (me, for instance) get SMS. Then, if it doesn't work, call Vision.