1.    #1  
    A friend of mine is having really good results with a DVD->PocketPC encoder that outputs .wmv files. I'd like to try it, but can't find any Windows Media Video players for Palm OS. Are there any such beasts?
  2.    #2  
    Guess there aren't any?

I did discover MGI Photo Suite Mobile Edition supposedly supports .wmv files, but it's no longer produced by MGI (Now part of Roxio).
    Last edited by dune; 02/04/2004 at 10:56 AM.
    saw one on a support board on a Tungsten site, but it was hackware and received poor feedback...

...but it seems it is possible.

I'm sitting on a mountain of .wma's myself hoping to make better use of them.
    One of the best uses of this will be to use it in conjunction with BeyondTV from Snapstream (http://www.snapstream.com).
    I believe SoundRec will play *.wmv files off the SD card...
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    What about the Palm version of the RealPlayer? It is a new version, but I have no .wmv files to test this with.
    I don't think Real does video of any kind, neither does SoundRec.
    I think WMA files are being confused with WMV files...add my name to the list of peeps interested in a video player that supports WMV. I haven't found a solution...if not a player, any software recommended to convert files?
    Kinoma Producer does a good job converting video files to fit the Palm OS. I use QuickTime videos on my Mac and convert them with KP.
    Kinoma is a good product, but it doesn't do WMV files -I guess I can understand why if there are extra charges for the support
    I think the reason you don't see any WMV players for Palm is the licensing fee associated with WMV. For instance, Pocket Tunes now supports WMA, but they had to pay a hefty licensing fee to get that in there.

How mplayer (the linux one, not mmplayer) does it, I'm not sure.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Use tmpenc to convert the wmv to mpeg and then use kinomer Producer to get it on your pda, or you could skip that and use mmplayer on your pda to play the mpeg file you created with tmpgenc!
    I would just encode to DIVX to begin with. That is very portable and better quality than WMV IMHO.
    I agree, but that's not the format I'm receiving the files in, and I don't have control over it. I guess I'll give tmpenc a try
    can you please tell us the name of this encoder as i am very intrested thanks
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by dune
    A friend of mine is having really good results with a DVD->PocketPC encoder that outputs .wmv files. I'd like to try it, but can't find any Windows Media Video players for Palm OS. Are there any such beasts?

Try FX Mpeg:

http://www.softforall.com/Multimedia...er07070018.htm

The demo will allow you to convert only to MPEG-1 with no time limit. Yo can then convert with Kinoma Producer or just use virtualdub to convert to mmplayer...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Try FX Mpeg:

http://www.softforall.com/Multimedia...er07070018.htm

The demo will allow you to convert only to MPEG-1 with no time limit. Yo can then convert with Kinoma Producer or just use virtualdub to convert to mmplayer...

I'll give it a try gfunkmagic -thanks for the help!
    google "any video converter free" (use the quotes). That will convert that for free FAST and easily. In fact in converts anything I've thrown at it including youtube to anything I could use.

Far easier then then tools they mentioned in my opinion.