1.    #1  
    Motion Apps (www.motionapps.com) has finally released a new version of mSafe that works on the 600. Once you get the program configured, you can send a coded SMS to lock the phone. The password screen displays your "Owner" prefs screen and survives a soft reset. It doesn't survive a hard reset, but that's the point--you protect your data from falling into the wrong hands.

This is a must-have for anyone whose data is more valuable than the phone itself!

(And, no, I have absolutely no affiliation with Motion Apps. I just think this is a fantastic program.)
    Cool, I'd been waiting for this to become available. Hope to hear some good reviews from users of it soon (considering I know there were lots of complaints about the built-in locking system, just wondering if this is any better). Since TMO won't be shipping until March I figure I'll have plenty of time to make a decision based on other user's opinions...
    LC,
    Please change/edit the title/subject. I almost missed this useful post due to the title, thought it might me some lame/senceless post with "it's alive" thank goodness I looked. I will be getting that soon.

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE AND 411 on that!!
    Take care, Matt
    This is a cool app! A real no brainer to setup too. I sent myself an SMS from the Sprint website (I guess I could have sent myself one from the Treo, now that is enabled) and it locked my phone right up. This makes me a little more secure about all of the information that I have on my phone - passwords, account numbers, even contact info. Thanks MotionApps - my check is in the mail.
  5. gse
    Hm. I sent myself the locking SMS and my phone did a soft reset. Never locked though.
    scott evans :: <a href="http://www.antisleep.com">www.antisleep.com</a>
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gse
    Hm. I sent myself the locking SMS and my phone did a soft reset. Never locked though.
    The first time I tried sending me the SMS the lock worked.

Then I tried a soft reset. The device didn't lock even if mSafe was told to do so.

Now I tried a second time with the SMS, but there wasn't a reaction any more (also no incoming SMS - seems that mSafe just swallowed incoming lock SMS). When I sent a different test SMS to myself, I received it within seconds. So there's no problem with the provider.

Then, even the "Lock Now" button on the mSafe main screen didn't work any more. The "System Lockout" dialog showed up, but when I pressed the "Lock" button, mSafe returned to its main screen.

Later, when I tried to use the phone application, out of a sudden the lock screen appeared. I entered the Password, the device worked again, and so did the lock feature.

This software is not stable enough yet.

Regards,

R.

PS: Using a GSM Version Treo 600, Hardware A, Firmware 01.15, Software Treo600-1.0-OCH. Might it have to do with the software version?
    I've found that if the Treo is switched on fully ie radio & Screen then it receives the locking email and locks it.

If the radio is on but the pda is off, it receives the sms message silently but ignores it.

So that means it's no good at the moment.

I've been waiting for MSafe for quite a while. I emailed them yesterday to ask if this problem was general, GSM related or a conflict with another app on my Treo, but no reply yet

Also, although a normal reset will cause it to lock the Treo, a warm reset will bypass it completely.

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Well this is bad news... hope they respond with some more info. I'd really like for this program to be stable...
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    Well this is bad news... hope they respond with some more info. I'd really like for this program to be stable...
    Don't get me wrong, I don't normally expect a quick reply.

But when their webstie has been saying"coming soon for the Treo 600" you would have thought their customer services dept. would be quick to answer a problem that was notified on the day they released it.

What also ticks me off is that last week I emailed them offering to beta test it. From the posts above it looks like there is a problem.

Shame as I am a registered user of MLights which works well on the Treo.

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    It's working like a charm for me! It'll lock my Treo when there the PDA is on or off, even if I'm in the middle of doing something.

I think it's great, but it wants me wanting more. I think what is needed is a scripting language of sorts that is hooked into SMS. How cool would it be to have the unit act on other SMS messages - launching various apps or performing other tasks?

Dunc
    Originally posted by Dunc
    It's working like a charm for me! It'll lock my Treo when there the PDA is on or off, even if I'm in the middle of doing something.

Dunc
    Could be a GSM thing then ?

We will have to wait until they respond.

Still is good to hear that it does work 100% on some units.

Hopefully others will try the trial and let us know if it works for them.

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    If you have a card with a backup on it (backupman, for instance) that is not encrypted, this is useless as all someone has ato do is restore it and that's it! Since the only app will be Backupman when the card is inserted, seems easy to me.

Just FYI!
    Just an idea, but what about an application that you can activate remotely via SMS, that then started taking periodic samples from the microphone AND the camera?

Maybe it would only take samples if the user was on the phone, or had it turned on.

The application could do this discreetly and then send those files to a website where you could watch and listen to your phone's abducter.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    If you have a card with a backup on it (backupman, for instance) that is not encrypted, this is useless as all someone has ato do is restore it and that's it! Since the only app will be Backupman when the card is inserted, seems easy to me.

Just FYI!
    Well other backup programs, such as Botzam Backup, can encrypt your backup or require a password to restore it. I won't have my Treo600 for another few weeks, but already planned on getting Botzam. I'm incredibly surprised that other backup programs (such as Backupman) don't already have the same feature... it seems like common sense.

From Botzam's site:
    Security - Data can be encrypted and password protected so that it will not be readable by anyone else in case you lose the backup card. Botzam Backup is designed with a plug in architecture so third party developers or security sensitive customers can implement their own encryption or compression algorithms. Plugins for TEA Encryption and Fast Compression are included as part of the package.
    Originally posted by ChasT

I've been waiting for MSafe for quite a while. I emailed them yesterday to ask if this problem was general, GSM related or a conflict with another app on my Treo, but no reply yet

Chas
    I've had a reply from Motion Apps.

It's an Orange phone thing and they are working on it.

There is a thread now going under the MSafe name, so lets take it there :menu:

Chas
    Thought of the day :