Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I know I should be skeptical of Samsung "actually" realeasing this but with FCC approval I am becoming more of a believer.

Other than the lack of a keyboard....how does this stack up against the T600. if the T610 rumors are true it is a "no brainer" but...

Thanks!

i500
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Speaking of the i505, I was really shocked to see that it only has 162 x 176 resolution. In my mind, this does not make it an improvement over the Treo 600 at all. I currently own a Treo 270 and the only reason I haven't purchased the Treo 600 is that I am holding out for a high resolution screen. Since Samsung has the i500, I cannot understand why they would release the i505 with the same low resolution screen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Treo 610 having a high resolution screen. This doesn't really answer your question, but something I wanted to throw in.
    There's a full article on the i505 on Brighthand's website under Smartphones.
    No Keyboard = No Comparison. Honestly.
    When I bought my Treo, the first software I loaded on it was a graffiti replacement. I never used it. I'd hate to give up the keyboard now. I also like the form factor of the Treo better.
    Originally posted by Boxer
    Speaking of the i505, I was really shocked to see that it only has 162 x 176 resolution. In my mind, this does not make it an improvement over the Treo 600 at all.
    FYI, while the i505's screen will only be 162x176, it will be able to support 65k colors unlike the 4000 something on the Treo600. So it is better technically...

Since Samsung has the i500, I cannot understand why they would release the i505 with the same low resolution screen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Treo 610 having a high resolution screen. This doesn't really answer your question, but something I wanted to throw in.
    There's a full article on the i505 on Brighthand's website under Smartphones.
    Understand, that it is rumored that the i505 is just one of THREE palmos smartphones that Samsung has under development. Both the SGH-i500/i530 and rumored "SPH-i550" are supposed to have high res screens...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    does anyone know if the Samsung i505 will have a display on the outside?
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    The manner in which Samsung releases its smartphones, based on previous performance, we won't see the SGH-i500's, the i505 or the i550 until the Treo 900 is out.

See, I'm new to the Treo community. The Treo 600 is my first real Treo experience (I had a T300 for a very short time). I've been a long time Samsung Palm phone user. Starting with the i300, went to the i330 and then waited and waited and waited for the i500. I got it when it first came out and was so horribly disappointed.

Samsung does a very poor job of properly integrating the phone and the PDA together. So I don't care what form factor they come out with, I'm completely in love with my Treo 600... just ask my ex-girlfriend.

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    [i]I'm completely in love with my Treo 600... just ask my ex-girlfriend.

-M- [/B]
    Genius...love that line.

The Samsung smart phones would be nice if they had a keyboard (a PDA in my mind is nothing without a keyboard these days) and a outside display (I hate having to open the phone to see who is calling).
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    theres no comparison until a phone has a keyboard.
    theres no comparison until a phone has a keyboard.
    Normally I would agree with you there, but in this case I think I'ld have to disagree. Let's behonest here, the Treo600 keyboard isn't exactly perfect. Yes I think its great for responding to short emails, sms's and IM etc...but for anything longer it just isn't that convenient. In fact I think the Treo600 keyboard is actually a downgrade from the Treo300 and other deives like the blackberry and Tw. However, I realize this and for me that works just fine for what it is meant to do imo.... But for anything requiring large amounts of data entry, I always just pull out my Palm Wireless Keyboard (which incidently I am using right now to respond to this post ) Thus IMO if you relate functionality in terms of short amounts of data entry, the i505 etc via T9 and the inumerable other types of data entry from Tengo to Quickwrite to graffiti is still a very attractive alternative especially for those who want more a of a phone-type clam shell design. Furthermore you will able to use an external keyboard with the i505 just like you can with the Treo as well! Anyways, I'm not saying I'ld prefer this Samsung over theTreo....but if alternative like the i530 with much superior specs like high rez, bluetooth, 1 MP camera, faster proc etc was available right now, I'ld definitely consider it even if it didn't have a keyboard....
    gotta agree with gFunk...
    The Treo keyboard is great for SMS and the odd (small) email but when it comes to bulk text entry in say, Docs2Go, it's out with my Ir keyboard.

Also the T270 keyboard was ergonomically better than the T600 (my personal pref).
    www.gsmworld.com
    yeah i see that point. it was easier typing on the t300. but ive gotten accustomed to the t600 now and can type just as fast on the t600. its basically what you are accustomed to and what you get used to working with over an extended period of time. when you get comfortable with a device, thats the one what works the best. right now, the treo 600 works the best for me, keyboard-wise. i never have to type large documents, however, so the ir keyboard, while pretty cool, is not necessary to me.