Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Although I would never have believed it before experiencing it myself, I love reading eBooks on my Treo 600! It is so convenient to have the book always with me, and to be able to pull my Treo (even in crowded subways) and read it.

I bought a few at Palm Digital Media and am happy with that, but some authors seem not to be carried by Palm Digital Media (for instance: no John Grisham novel, and 'A brief history of time' is not there either).

Are there other good sites for ebooks offering an extended catalog?

Thanks
    Dominique
    Amazon.com eBooks & Documents media has some eBooks.

Also there's MemoWare .
    ... however, many of those on Amazon.com are in Microsoft Reader format only. And guess what MS Reader is NOT compatible with?

Ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    E-books rule. I have turned my $50-$100 a month Waldenbooks habit into an ebook habit over the last year. I read about 2-3 books a week, and I have not bought a print book in over 4 months!!!!!!!!
    For great sci-fi www.baen.com offers an extensive FREE library, as well as pretty much any catalog title in the last 3 years for sale via webscriptions. They also have a few books (up to 4 now) that you can buy at a bookstore that have a CD in them with TONS of free ebooks. If interested let me know and I can zip and mail some of the free books to you. (it is legal as the CD clearly states it may be shared but not sold)

Here is a list of other ebook sites I use:

www.fictionwise.com (various ebook formats, wide selection fiction and non fiction)
    www.mobipocket.com(mobipocket format, wide selection fiction nonfiction and reference)

Both of these sites usualy will save a few dollars off of retail or better. The BAEN site is super cheap since all books range from 2-7 dollars even for new releases in hardcover.

Amazon has some books avaible for ebook purchase, but are usualy the same price as list.

Here is a list of readers in my order of preference:
    mobipocket: A free/purchase reader that uses an HTML like code to produce formated text and can incorporate images. You can even create your own ebooks if you want with a little work.
    This is the default reader for BAEN books and is great. The free version will do everything you need, while the pay version will allow you to autoscroll as well as change screen color.
    This one also comes with a news reader that pulls down articals from popular news web sites into the mobipocket reader.

palmreader: havent tried the free version of this, but the full version is fine. It handles pictures as well, but in a diffrent form.
    In palmreader, you have a hotlink to open a full screen image.

acrobat reader: havent used this one yet, but have it on my palm. Looks like it acts just like acrobat reader for the PC.
    I installed the Adobe Acrobat reader for Palm on my Treo 600. A lot of manuals and books can be downloaded. Its not got alot of features, but converts well and its free!!!
    oBoy!

[Treo 600 #4, working without error since July 2004]
    Originally posted by dbouchon
    Although I would never have believed it before experiencing it myself, I love reading eBooks on my Treo 600! It is so convenient to have the book always with me, and to be able to pull my Treo (even in crowded subways) and read it.

I bought a few at Palm Digital Media and am happy with that, but some authors seem not to be carried by Palm Digital Media (for instance: no John Grisham novel, and 'A brief history of time' is not there either).

Thanks
    If you want to try an audiobook, www.audible.com has lots of bestsellers. You can get a free month (2 books) because you are a new Treo owner.
    I get tons of stuff from:

http://www.memoware.com/

peace

Joel
    Also there are huge numbers of free, out-of-copyright (i.e. OLD) books available from Project Gutenberg. http://www.gutenberg.net/index.shtml
    It's easy to convert these to .prc format (several methods discussed on the Gutenberg site).
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I use Mobipocket but i havent tried any others. (Libraries over here let you lend eBooks for free)
    Originally posted by dbouchon

Thanks
    Read the following thread for an incredible list of available ebook sites!

http://palmonecity.com/forums/showth...p?threadid=218

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Look under "customers who bought this also bought......"

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=14304

I always had a feeling about Star Trek fans; now my suspicions have been confirmed.
    If you're using memoware, or converting text files or anything like that, I'd say use Isilo. The major feature of Isilo is that it compresses the files to smaller sizes.

For Adobe files, I actually prefer converting with Repligo than using the Adobe Acrobat reader, but thats just my opinion.
    Originally posted by lb505

If you want to try an audiobook, www.audible.com has lots of bestsellers. You can get a free month (2 books) because you are a new Treo owner.
    I have wanted to try Audible, but did not want to pay just to check it out...this is good news, but how does one get the free trial??? I went to the site, but didn't see the trial offer...
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    I am using Acrobat Reader but the spacing does not convert well to the Treo. It is readable, but not as good as other ebooks generated from text files. Also it is a little slow turning from page to page (about 1 to 2 sec).
    Originally posted by chazglenn3

I have wanted to try Audible, but did not want to pay just to check it out...this is good news, but how does one get the free trial??? I went to the site, but didn't see the trial offer...
    http://www.audible.com/treo04

Let me know if it doesn't work and I can send you a link through my account.
    I know the Treo 600 doesn't have a hi-res screen. That being said, what do other users find to be the best font for reading eBooks on PalmReader Pro. I've tried Agfa Monotype and ITC Font Pack...neither one produces acceptable results. Any suggestions (short of opening up a conventional book!). TIA.
    Its funny...i thought i was wrecked reading books - something that I attributed to my attention span being shortened by reading stuff on the internet. In fact I hadn't finished a book in YEARS. But since I downloaded the ereader, I've finished two books in 3 weeks.

Its great.
  18.    #18  
    I use Palm Reader basic (the free one from Palm Digital Media) with its default font and find it totally acceptable...
    Dominique
    Originally posted by lb505

I haven't been able to find the Treo 600 deal on audible.com. HELP!!!!
    Go Gators!
    KCGator;

See the post and link from Laurie above. I was able to get the deal through that link. You sign up for the subscription service and get two free books and one month free. Thanks Laurie!
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast