1.    #1  
    After successfully self-installing a new battery in my 270 two weeks ago, I managed to drop it onto the hard, cold concrete floor at work. Picked it up to find that it won't boot up at all now. Turn it on and you just get a blue screen.

Managed to coax a few brief signs of life out of it, but it refuses to load the OS. I suspect that something may have come disconnected, but removing the case shows no obvious disconnections. Haven't unscrewed the PCB off as I would prefer to have some idea of what to look for beforehand.

So, I am left with a few options.

1. Pay $200 + sales tax to have Handspring repair it. Not an appealing idea since I could get a new 270 for $400 new from them or $220 on eBay.

2. Buy an unlocked Treo 600 from Cingular for $700. Pricey...

3. Wait for the "mid-February" pre-order to begin for the T-Mobile T600 and hope that I can get some sort of break on price by trading in my dead 270.

4. Ditch the whole integrated approach and buy a cheap phone and a cheap PDA.

5. Find instructions on a DIY fix or a cheaper repair service.

Does anyone have some advice on how to proceed? Links to repair shops? Links to stores selling cheap, refurbished T270s? General pointing and laughing in my direction?

Thanks.
    Definately worth an attempt to repair IMHO.

Most likely one of the flex film connectors "opened up" and now your display connections or keyboard connections are intermitent or open.

Check out this long thread for advice on opening up a treo and working on a repair:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...43799/s/h.html

One step that was left out of my diassasembly instructions is seperating the main PCB from the keyboard. It requires you unscrew a few screws. Once seperated you will have acces to the flex connectors.

GG
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Gordon-Gekko
    Definately worth an attempt to repair IMHO.

Most likely one of the flex film connectors "opened up" and now your display connections or keyboard connections are intermitent or open.
    Yeah, a DIY fix is my preference as well; now that I have some pictures and advice to go on, I have a better foundation for such an approach.

Much obliged; I'll post an update after I give it a go.
  4.    #4  
    Took me about twenty minutes to get the flex connector settled in just right, but it my 270 lives again!

Thanks alot GG; I really appreciate the help.