Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My successes in Manhattan have been from my 908 area code number to other 908 area code phones (north-central New Jersey area code).
    I have 646 numbers (switched from T-MOBILE).
    In my case, both numbers are in 646, both phones are Treo 600, both in Manhattan, both Sprint.
    Same plan even, same account (add-a-phone option)
    Dominique
    My Treo600SMS application from PDAapps.com stopped working about 1 week ago but i could still receive. I decided to disable the application from my Treo600 and all of a sudden my SMS started working. I live and work in Manhattan both uptown and downtown. The SMS has been working flawlessly between different carriers, to email addresses, and between treo600's (to my friend in boston) It is awesome, so fast, and with minimal lag. Not sure why it would only work in some areas.
    Wait a minute, area codes are meaningless for geographical location. These are mobile phones we're talking about here. I'm asking where the handsets were physically located.

dbouchon -- you're saying that both of the handsets involved in your successful SMS transaction were in Mahattan at the time? Can you send a message to someone in another borough or a different state?

Edit: I just read petesamprs post, which clarifies the situation. Not dependent on location. Thanks petesamprs.
    SMS isn't working in the San Francisco Bay Area either... =(

"Message not delivered because service is not available yet."
    I installed the update today, while at work in downtown Manhattan, and sent SMS messages all afternoon.

Then I got in a cab to go home to Brooklyn.

And got "Message Not Delivered. This service will be available soon. You will receive a text message when it is ready..." all the way home.
    The new SMS service is definitely working in Manhattan -- I'm down by Wall Street now and I am able to send messages to Sprint & non-Sprint numers. Still no service in Brooklyn or Westcester. This is very cool, the service seems to work very well. I'm looking forward to the full roll-out!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Well, I'm going to commute tomorrow morning into NYC - and my memory was that as the train rolled along the island, no SMS.. The second I was in Manhattan, by Penn Station, MO-SMS worked. I'm going to bet that they are doing this tower by tower, and that it is 100% location based. Go figure.. I'll be testing tomorrow from NYC - that's for sure
    In addition to NYC it works for me in the Summit NJ area. It may well be a one region at a time deployment.
    I also deleted treo600sms. Now that Sprint's SMS is working (in NYC), it has served its purpose and I chose to remove it so that I don't another piece of software to potentially crash the device. Worth the $20 for the 4 months though.
  11.    #31  
    I have tried everywhere, still no SMS, still get the error (52)

I have tried in Penn Sta, 45th & 5th, E. Village and in cabs, still nothing.
    Do I need to do the latest upgrade? (Can't cause I'm on a Mac, which is BS on Sprint's part.)

Am I doing something wrong: I hit the Mail button (third from the left) Hit NEW, enter the number in the TO area ( I use format 917-123-4567), then enter the message and hit send. I never did configure this, do I need to?

thanks
    Originally posted by petesamprs
    I also deleted treo600sms. Now that Sprint's SMS is working (in NYC), it has served its purpose and I chose to remove it so that I don't another piece of software to potentially crash the device. Worth the $20 for the 4 months though.
    I took it out of mine also... Served its purpose!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Well.. it's working this monring - I'm right near Grand Central Terminal - I"ll be by Penn station later, and update people then.
    Update.

I'm up in Westchester County and my SMS just worked.
    Up until this morning, I couldn't send SMS from anywhere. BUT LO AND BEHOLD...I'M IN SOUTHERN NJ AND IT'S WORKING!!! I've sent several messages and confirmed receipt to phones (non-Sprint and Sprint) and emails...AND IT WORKS! GREAT DAY TO BE ALIVE!!!

please excuse my overwhelming excitement...i've just surprised that sprint has actually achieved something
    Yep... in edison NJ, WORKING...... chatted with AOL IM :-D soooo happy.
    Here are my results.

My Treo 300 in Livingston, NJ with a 973 number using Treo300sms sending to a Treo 600 with a 973 number in Milwaukee does NOT work.

The reverse (using the native SMS app on the 600) DOES work.

I can send SMSes to the 300 and 600 using the web site (selecting SMS, not Automatic).

I note that this is the 600 Forum, but I would have to say that SMS is not really a device-specific issue. However, for consistency's sake, I am keeping the information within this thread.
    Working smoke detectors save lives.
    Originally posted by Varangian
    I have tried everywhere, still no SMS, still get the error (52)

I have tried in Penn Sta, 45th & 5th, E. Village and in cabs, still nothing.
    Do I need to do the latest upgrade? (Can't cause I'm on a Mac, which is BS on Sprint's part.)

Am I doing something wrong: I hit the Mail button (third from the left) Hit NEW, enter the number in the TO area ( I use format 917-123-4567), then enter the message and hit send. I never did configure this, do I need to?

thanks

Its not the mail button that's for email. you have to use the SMS button to test. also dont use dashes in the sms.

BTW Still not working in Bklyn.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Newark airport - Not able to send SMS - 02-03-04 @ 5:20PM......
    Brooklyn, STILL N-O-T And MY sms worked in NJ...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast