Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off I am not affiliated with Toysoft or Lightwav in any way.

One of the greatest things about the T600 is the wow factor and Lightwav has increased the wow factor by 100x. Anytime you can set ANY audio file to be your ringer it is just cool! I am getting ready to purchase the full version today even though there are some bug fixes and features needed. My hope with this thread is that everyone that loves this program can work to compile a reasonable list of fixes to be included soon. Here is my list.

1 - Ability to play mp3s from RAM or set a standard system ringer as a backup when the app can't access the mp3s on the SD card.

2 - Ability to silence a ring without affecting the call. (To work the same as standard system ringers).

3 - Volume control independent of PTunes.

4 - Someway to make Lightwav work along with CallFilter (another great app). CallFilter will prevent certain calls from coming through and will stop the system ringer from sounding, but the Lightwav ringer will still play.

5 - Ability to specify a specific sub-folder that holds the ringers. This would make the random sound feature more useful. This way every song on the SD card doesn't show up as an available ringer to play randomly.

6 - Finally, the ability to assign different ringers to different callers or categories of callers.

I have only found two bugs. One is that the person calling hears a quick clip of the music playing when you answer. The other is that Lightwav just doesn't play the mp3 sometimes. I believe this is related to the SD card becoming unmounted and would be solved by #1 above.

For all that haven't tried this app you should. Here is the link.Lightwave

The other thread that contained some of these ideas died out so hopefully this will put new life into this great app. I hope the developer is listening.
    Last edited by BigTreo; 02/01/2004 at 03:06 PM.
    May I add to the list?

LightWav, or at least the demo version, still has some instablilities that need to be fixed. It appears to be the proximate cause of a lot of soft resets; these are occurring much less frequently on my Treo600 now that I have deleted the demo. In addition, on several occasions, the ringtone/MP3 would not shut off even after I answered the incoming call.

Fix these two glitches, and add individual ringtone support, and I will be first in line to buy the real thing. Thank you, Toysoft, for your incredible effort on this program.
    It's the thought that counts, but I still think the whole thing should just be a sort of hack into the original ringtone database. Somehow make it so the normal ringtone database displays the mp3s and then when an mp3 is called for when there's an incoming phone call, tell ptunes to play the mp3. Same for the stop call, that way everything is nicely integrated with the treo. I'm sure I'm just going to have to wait for an updated ROM or new Treo to do that, but the closer anyone can get to making the mp3s integrated, the better the product will be. LightWav is just too external to me and I also had a ton of resets, especially in calls and answering calls. Not cool.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I do like it and it has potential.

But:

1) I set my alarm to an mp3.

The MP3 wont shut off unless I hit pause on the little pop up (that's after I hit "OK" or "SNOOZE" on the alarm). But the OK or SNOOZE should stop the MP3. It should send a STOP command to Pocket Tunes. It doesnt. You have to either hit pause on the control panel popup (which I believe wont let it play again on the next alarm if you hit snooze) or go into Pocket tunes and hit stop.

2) Let me pick an MP3 like I can pick a ringer for each caller.

It's still cool and has much potential. At least someone is trying!
    Would be better if the wav didnt play over other ringtones? and where you could have a different wav per person. I had to use a silent ringtone to make the wav sound right but all the other profiles have custom ringtones and the wav will play ontop of them.

hope they fix this.
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    Right,

maybe the trick would be to have some 'fake' MIDI ringtones that, when accessed, would trigger a specific MP3 file to be played (as long as, and only as long as, the fake MIDI file gets accessed by the system).

That way, it would behave exactly as MIDI ringtones work. The only thing, I guess, would be a need to create as many fake MIDI files as there are MP3 one wants to use as ringtone or alert tone.

This sounds like a hack thing .... Toysoft: would this sound possible?

EDIT: for typos and grammar...
    Last edited by dbouchon; 02/02/2004 at 12:29 PM.
    Dominique
    Originally posted by dbouchon
    Right,

maybe the trick would have to have some 'fake' MIDI ringtones that, when access, would trigger a specific MP3 files to be played (as long, and only as long, as the fake MIDI file get accessed by the system).

That way, it would behave exactly as MIDI ringtones work. The only thing, I guess, would be a need to create as many fake MIDI files as there are MP3 one wants to use as ringtone or alert tone.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking
  8.    #8  
    I actually don't think Lightwav is that far off. It does actually play the mp3s. Most of the concern is getting it to play them the same way that the standard ringers play. I think this is only a matter of digging a little deeper to determine what triggers are used to bring about the actions of the standard ringers. A good example is how CallFilter has been able to block a call before it is able to alert the user at all. There is something that CallFilter is using to trigger this before the actual ring. Granted I am not a programmer but I do know that most times things are possible. It's just a matter of finding the solution.

If you find the right triggers and make it a little more stable then you're cooking.

Oh yeah, as far as stability, the only issues I have had I have contributed to the network search issue. I say this because I had problems answering calls and keeping calls before lightwav. The network search issue is by far the biggest pain in the arse I have ever had with any electronic device.
    HI, I'm the developer of Lwav. Hopefully I can answer some or most of your questions.

1 - Ability to play mp3s from RAM or set a standard system ringer as a backup when the app can't access the mp3s on the SD card.

LWav can not play mp3 because PocketTune is not capable with playing sound files from ram. However, the current beta version of LWav CAN play wave files from ram. Hopefully we can release a windows app that will let you convert uncompressed wave files to palmOS db and can you hotsync and use it. currently in Lwav there is a button called "Convert" which you select a file and LWav will conver the wave file on the card to ram. You can then use it for alarm or ringtone (only new version)

2 - Ability to silence a ring without affecting the call. (To work the same as standard system ringers).

Yes, we have now hooked into the Phone->Sound Pref. Lwav will use the volume setting. so if you turned it to OFF during the meeting then lwav will not play the sound for incoming calls/sms/voicemail.

3 - Volume control independent of PTunes.

Already done in the new beta

4 - Someway to make Lightwav work along with CallFilter (another great app). CallFilter will prevent certain calls from coming through and will stop the system ringer from sounding, but the Lightwav ringer will still play.

Not sure if possible because there is not commuication between the 2 apps. in order for this to work, Lwav have to know not to handle the events. Who knows maybe we will come out with a version of our own software to block calls

5 - Ability to specify a specific sub-folder that holds the ringers. This would make the random sound feature more useful. This way every song on the SD card doesn't show up as an available ringer to play randomly.

hmmm... currently LWav searchs on 1: entire card, 2: audio folder 3: palm folder. doesn't everyone put the sound files in the /Audio folder?

6 - Finally, the ability to assign different ringers to different callers or categories of callers.

that is on our high prioirty list and will work on this ASAP.

new beta will be posted sometimes mid week visit our site www.toysoft.ca for details.

The new beta you can now assign any sound file to any appointments in datebook or datebk5. You can not assign notime or repeat appointments ;(

regards

danny
    Originally posted by Dalai Lama
    May I add to the list?

LightWav, or at least the demo version, still has some instablilities that need to be fixed. It appears to be the proximate cause of a lot of soft resets; these are occurring much less frequently on my Treo600 now that I have deleted the demo. In addition, on several occasions, the ringtone/MP3 would not shut off even after I answered the incoming call.

Fix these two glitches, and add individual ringtone support, and I will be first in line to buy the real thing. Thank you, Toysoft, for your incredible effort on this program.
    We have fixed a number of minor bugs and hopefully one of them is the bug that you have encounters. wait for the beta and please let us know if the problem still exists.
    Originally posted by dbouchon
    Right,

maybe the trick would be to have some 'fake' MIDI ringtones that, when accessed, would trigger a specific MP3 file to be played (as long as, and only as long as, the fake MIDI file gets accessed by the system).

EDIT: for typos and grammar...
    You can try this.

1. launch the Prefs app
    2. tap on Sound Prefs in the menu
    3. tap on Tones
    4. set unknown and known caller alarm to "Silent"

this will prevent the builtin midi ringtone to sound. I haven't tried on the real Treo yet
    Originally posted by smiley88

You can try this.

1. launch the Prefs app
    2. tap on Sound Prefs in the menu
    3. tap on Tones
    4. set unknown and known caller alarm to "Silent"

this will prevent the builtin midi ringtone to sound. I haven't tried on the real Treo yet
    I think he's saying he wants the midi file to trigger LightWav so that you'll see all of your mp3s and wav files in the midi database and when you select one of these fake midi, it'll act just like it were a midi, but LightWav would take care of the call for the midi and use the corresponding mp3/wav. unfortunately it would probably be very difficult to do this as it would probably require some kind of buffer overflow type hack so when the fake midi is played it would create the overflow and launch LightWav, then when LightWav captures an exit, it closes the midi. I don't know much about Palm programming, but there's probably an easier way to do it. If your new beta works like you say it does, it's getting pretty close to something we can all enjoy. What I mentioned is just a different, more integrated approach. I also agree with having some way to cancel the original midi ringtone so we don't have to disable all ringtones or create a blank midi. I'm sure when you guys find out how to assign a ringtone to an individual caller, that'll happen too. Great work on the app and it's good to see such close interaction with the Treo community.
    We are integrated with the Phone. The phone app still receive all the events. there isn't a way to tell the phone not the play the midi sound. The other method we can do is have lightwav answer the call and thus the phone app will never be active and I don't think we will go this approach.

in the order to pick the wav/mp3 from the ringtone popup list you'll have hack the OS and since OS5 doesn't allow hacking its abite difficult.

Yes, we have now hooked into the Phone->Sound Pref. Lwav will use the volume setting. so if you turned it to OFF during the meeting then lwav will not play the sound for incoming calls/sms/voicemail.
    I think for this one he was referring to the ability to silence a call when it comes in as opposed to from the sound pref. app. So more specifically, you receive a call, the ringer starts ringing, and the you can press a button on the keyboard or one of the volume buttons to just silence the ringer, as opposed to hitting ignore and sending the call immediately to voicemail.
  15.    #15  

hmmm... currently LWav searchs on 1: entire card, 2: audio folder 3: palm folder. doesn't everyone put the sound files in the /Audio folder?
    I have 2 full mp3 albums on my SD card that I listen to with Ptunes. I also have some songs that I have trimmed down to the specific parts I want to use as ringtones. These are completely separate from the albums but they are all under the /Audio folder. So now if I select random sound it will play any of the songs on those two albums or my actual mp3 ringtones. I actually listen to Rap music so some of these songs can be offensive as ringtones. I want to be able to tell Lightwav to ignore all of the other music on the card and just randomly play what resides in the /Audio/Ringtone folder (for example).

I know you might suggest that I place them in the /Palm folder but I have found two issues with this. The first is that there are some empty Snappermail sound files that show up in the "found music" list. The other issue is that Lightwav searches the entire card for music by default. Even when you change the setting to search the /Palm folder only Lightwav doesn't remove the old search results from the list. I guess you could address these two issues and say the problem is fixed but to me the real solution would be to allow a "ringtone only" folder to be assigned.

Thanks for listening.
  16.    #16  

LWav can not play mp3 because PocketTune is not capable with playing sound files from ram. However, the current beta version of LWav CAN play wave files from ram. Hopefully we can release a windows app that will let you convert uncompressed wave files to palmOS db and can you hotsync and use it. currently in Lwav there is a button called "Convert" which you select a file and LWav will conver the wave file on the card to ram. You can then use it for alarm or ringtone (only new version)
    This sounds like a viable option but I am worried about file size. I know in general a wav file is 10x the size of an mp3. If I have a 30 second mp3 that is 500k it becomes a 5mb wav file once converted. What I don't know (and I guess I'll have to try it to see) is what is the size of a 5mb wav file once converted to a palmos db. Something tells me it is still a pretty large file which makes this option weak.

It appears that you are working with the Ptunes developers to a certain extent (you mention each others products on your websites). Are you saying that it is not possible for Ptunes to support playing mp3s from RAM due to some Palm OS limitation? Or is it simply unlikely that they will add this support anytime soon.

Playing mp3s from RAM would make this a serious app. Currently this is my biggest issue and the reason why I actually haven't purchased yet. I am missing a lot of calls due to an unmounted SD card. At the very least you need to be able to set a backup system ringer in Lightwav that it will trigger when it can't find the mp3 file.

Thanks again
    I second BigTreo on the folder option. Searching on specific folders will be great. Or an alternative is using a Playlist. I wish I could use a random SMS ringtone. Random playing is pretty useless now.

Other than that, I'm just waiting on LightWav to hook up to Favorites for caller id.
    Hopefully the next version of PocketTunes can play mp3 from RAM. the conversion from the card to ram the file size will be the same. have a 1 min wave that is 2.2megs ;(
  19.    #19  
    That would be great! I'm glad to hear that it is possible.
  20.    #20  
    Okay so my trial period was up. So I decide to go ahead and buy the app. I figure in the meantime I will convert a wav file and use it from RAM. Now I can't get the wav file to ring. I can get the wav file to play. I can get mp3 files to play and ring. But, I can't get the wav file to ring. Smiley88 is there something I'm missing? My wav file is 8 bits and 24 khz. Is this too low? The sound quality when I play it is fine. I just can't get it to trigger when a call comes in.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast