1.    #1  
    Is it just me or is Sprint PCS Vision completely useless after 6:00 PM?

I've noticed that around 80% of the time you simply cannot browse the web using Vision. I can't even access Sprint's own portal after 6:00 PM EST. FYI, I live just south of Detroit.

What gives? Anyone else having the same problem?
  2. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    it's not vision. when this problem occurs ("Sending" but never "Receiving"), it only affects Blazer, the web browser. Apparently the version used for the 600 still uses a proxy server (and intermediate server that intercepts all web traffic between your 600 and the web site you want to visit). Older versions of the treo with lame processors offloaded some of the rendering/fetching work to the proxy server. The 600, with its ARM processor, does it all itself. But apparently Sprint configured things so that your web traffic still goes through their proxy servers (perhaps to continue to record your web usage?). And it is these hidden proxies which are likely the cause of the evening failures. These failures have been experienced at least up & down the east coast. If you search these forums, you'll find many reports. One work-around posted by someone was to configure a specific, working proxy (i think http://free-proxies.com has a list of them). I wish Sprint would post something about this. I gather that many of the people who use TreoCentral have substantive technical backgrounds but there is a dearth of understanding about how things actually work.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by mtk
    it's not vision. when this problem occurs ("Sending" but never "Receiving"), it only affects Blazer, the web browser. Apparently the version used for the 600 still uses a proxy server (and intermediate server that intercepts all web traffic between your 600 and the web site you want to visit). Older versions of the treo with lame processors offloaded some of the rendering/fetching work to the proxy server. The 600, with its ARM processor, does it all itself. But apparently Sprint configured things so that your web traffic still goes through their proxy servers (perhaps to continue to record your web usage?). And it is these hidden proxies which are likely the cause of the evening failures. These failures have been experienced at least up & down the east coast. If you search these forums, you'll find many reports. One work-around posted by someone was to configure a specific, working proxy (i think http://free-proxies.com has a list of them). I wish Sprint would post something about this. I gather that many of the people who use TreoCentral have substantive technical backgrounds but there is a dearth of understanding about how things actually work.
    Thanks for the tip. I considered this possibility, but incorrectly discounted it because Blazer includes proxy settings within its setup menus.

I'll check out the links you provided.

Thanks again the info...
  4.    #4  
    Will changing Blazer's proxy settings bypass Sprint's default proxy? If not, will changing the proxy setting do any good?

Just a thought...
  5. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    i don't know with certainty (there is no info on the setup that i know of) but based on the comments from people who have made the change, it is likely that specifying an explicit proxy avoids using a sprint proxy. that doesn't guarantee that they don't spy on you since your data traffic still passes through their network.