1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 600 and wish to protect the data on the device and the SD card.

Has anyone used PDA Defense? How about on the T600?

> When locked down:

1: do alarms show?

2: Does the phone ring, can I answer without unlocking?

3: Does Caller ID screen show?

4: Do scheduled apps like "BackupMan" still function properly?

> Is the SD card securly tied to the device from which it came? in other words if it is removed and placed into another device can the data on the SD card be accessed?

TIA

-Serp
    Last edited by Serpico; 02/01/2004 at 11:22 AM.
    Serpico
    ---------
    Newton->Palm Pilot->PalmIII->PalmVII->iPaq->i705->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650
  2. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    1: do alarms show? Yes

2: Does the phone ring, can I answer without unlocking? Yes, but the phone goes into hibernate at your scheduled time and the speaker and mic turn off (but the phone does not hang up) - hitting any key gets your call back. I haven't figured out a way to hang up without unlocking.

3: Does Caller ID screen show? Yes

4: Do scheduled apps like "BackupMan" still function properly? Yes

> Is the SD card securly tied to the device from which it came? in other words if it is removed and placed into another device can the data on the SD card be accessed? Data cannot be accessed on another device. I haven't checked it with another device that has PDADefense installed though.

Overall, I was dissapointed in the program. While it works fine on a Palm, it has significant limitations on a smartphone. Once activated, PDADef doesn't default to the password entry line, so you neen to first push the up button before entering a password. even with a simple (1 hard button) password, entering a password becomes a multipress headache:

Press a key to activate device
    Press up to get to the password entry line
    Enter password
    Press down to get to the OK button
    Press center

If it defaulted to the password entry line, and automaticall unlocked as soon as soon as you entered the password it would be OK (assuming they fixed the speaker/mic problem), but now it is just a PITA
    Cheers

Charles
  3.    #3  
    Well, I went ahead and purchased PDA Defense Professional anyway since your concerns regarding the clicks didn't really bother me too much.

Unfortunately,

I am not really happy w/the purchase.

The phone works, most of the time. However, without first unlocking the device when i hit "Dial" it asks for the unlock code first, and then launches PDA Defense but never dials the phone.

So, without unlocking the device first and then switching to the phone app, I cannot make calls easily... something I was looking for.

In addition, SnapperMail "Auto Fetch" fails as PDAD wants a PW so SnapperMail just sits there waiting... also a bummer.

Also, I had problems w/the SD card-- particularly how it encypts them... when you encrypt an SD card, PDAD makes a secure "partition" on the card... so you end up with "2 cards" in the Palm OS... one secure and one not. You can't select the entire card -- PDAD always leaves 2 MB in the non-encrypted partition.

Palm OS doesn't seem to like this, neither does the app "BackupMan" as it wants to copy itself to both partitions, but only writes it's backups to the non-encrypted partition... what good is that? A secure PDA with all its data backed up to a non-secure card! Doh!

Another issue i have is you can't "deactivate/reactivate" PDAD. If you clear the PW it insists you enter a new one when you power down.

I read the manual top-to-bottom and tried vigerously to overcome these issues on a 4 hour flight this week.. to no avail.

PDAD is now uninstalled. HUGE bummer.
    Serpico
    ---------
    Newton->Palm Pilot->PalmIII->PalmVII->iPaq->i705->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650
    There are no excellent security options available for the T600. OnlyMe is the best out there, and it's imperfect.

PDA Defense is litterally awful on the Treo 600 because the program sacrifices basic functionality (like the ability to dial contacts by selecting the number from your contact list!). TealLock has loads of subtle issues (like turning on the device unnecessarily). I wish the developer of GridLock would update the software because it's my favorite security interface. But it's incompatible with almost every good utility. mSafe was updated for the T600. But that's a pretty basic application-- not robust security.
    I've exchanged email with the developer of OnlyMe, and he does plan to update the app to support the 600. I have no idea how soon, though.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.