1.    #1  
    I realize it's no one's job on here to be my Treo Advisory council, but I desperately need help with, most likely, the most simple of processes. I just received my Treo600 yesterday. However, I have been reading all the forums, etc. on here and elsewhere for days to try to get me up to speed. Evidently, it didn't work. Here are my problems and I would be OH-SO-GRATEFUL for anyone who would take the time to help a poor girl out!!

1. I cannot get my Treo to go to any Palm Download sites. It says "Page is unavailable."

2. Downloading the necessities (FileZ, KeyCaps600, Backup Man, Datebk5, Card Export, etc.): HOW DO IT DO THIS? Am I not able to surf the palm sites on my laptop and then sync them to my Treo? Do I have to go to the download site using my Treo?

3. Without having an SD card reader (and naturally not being able to download Card Export), is there not a way I can save the programs onto my SD card?

4. When I download programs, do all the charges to purchase the program bill to my wireless carrier (i.e., Sprint)?

As you see, I need a 101 class. I have searched for Threads here b/f posting, as I am embarrassed to have to ask for such a novice task.

Thanks so much though!!!! (I leave for a business trip to Phoenix tomorrow, so I would really love to get all this figured out!)
    Originally posted by annelise
    2. Downloading the necessities (FileZ, KeyCaps600, Backup Man, Datebk5, Card Export, etc.): HOW DO IT DO THIS? Am I not able to surf the palm sites on my laptop and then sync them to my Treo? Do I have to go to the download site using my Treo?
    Just go to the website where the programs are available and download them to your laptop. Unzip if necessary. Using the Palm Desktop application, just click on install, find the files, and Hotsync. I would recommend that you read the readme files or any supporting documentation. They will most likely tell you which files to install. Also, I would recommend that you install one program at a time. That way if something goes wrong you know which one is giving you problems.

3. Without having an SD card reader (and naturally not being able to download Card Export), is there not a way I can save the programs onto my SD card?
    You can either install them directly to the card, depending on the program, using the Palm Desktop install tool. Once you have selected the file it will allow you to change the destination. However, if you don't have a launcher like ZLauncher, you will want to first install PowerRun. It would be better IMO to install the applications to main memory then use PowerRun or ZLauncher to move them to the card.

4. When I download programs, do all the charges to purchase the program bill to my wireless carrier (i.e., Sprint)?
    Where are you downloading the programs from? Normally they are either free or you are downloading a trial version. If you decide to keep it then you would pay directly to the website where you downloaded the program from (i.e., Handango, PalmGear, etc.)

cash70
    Last edited by cash70; 01/31/2004 at 06:07 PM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Also, keep in mind that there are alternatives to the things that you listed as "necessities", and those alternatives are available in the same places you'd get the things listed. Different people want different features, and one of the interesting things about all of this is making your device truly yours by tricking it out with whatever floats your boat. =) Go to PalmGear and Handango and do some searches, then compare features, download demos and such.

Have fun!

(tip: visit astraware.com for a wide range of viciously addictive, well-crafted, time-wasting games)
  4.    #4  
    Ok, thanks SO MUCH for replying to me!!!!!

Question: That's the problem...How do I find/get a program on my Handheld to run these programs. Here is my error message and perhaps someone has had the same thing???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HotSync operation started 01/31/04 19:46:14
    ERROR: The following file(s) could not be installed to the SecureDigital (SD) Card because there is no application on your handheld to open these files.
    If you have recently installed such an application, please run that application and then perform a HotSync operation.
    FileZ.pgz
    powerrun13.pgz
    Install To Card synchronization failed
    Conduit Error: Unknown error. (1000)
    OK Date Book
    OK Address Book
    OK To Do List
    OK Memo Pad
    OK Treo Pictures

-----------------------------------------------------
    I have been using the "Install button thing" you mentioned from the Palm Desktop and specifying to send it to the SD card (I've been doing that all along); I hit "Add" after I find the file (such as Filez or PowerRun) in the folder I saved it into. A box comes up that says "this file will be added during the next hot sync." I do a hot sync and the above message comes up. I may have gotten in over my head with this device. I love electronic gadgets and love computers, but I am having the hardest time w/ this lil Treo.

Is there any customer service that fully supports these devices for us??? I feel so badly asking others to help me.

Thanks so much though ! Really!!
    Ok, thanks SO MUCH for replying to me!!!!!

FileZ.pgz
    powerrun13.pgz
    From PalmGear you should have a few options for downloads. This extension (.pgz) is for a special format that PalmGear uses and I think you can't sync it directly without a special conduit (an add-on module for the HotSync process).

On Palmgear, there are anywhere from 1 to 3 different ways that these things are packaged up. You should grab the "zip" versions (if using Windows) or the "sit" versions (if using a Mac). Then that file is "decompressed" (it should happen automatically), leaving you with the file that you really should be trying to sync in HotSync. You're looking for files with .prc at the end (at least for now .