Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    There have been many things that I have installed on my Treo in a short span of time, but I swear that the newest Pocket Tunes is slower than the old version.

I really notice when I put it in the background and try to surf..Blazer just CREEPS! And so does general navigation and even phone.

Has anyone else upgraded to the latest and seen this behavior? I'm about to back rev this thing to 2.1, which performed just fine for me.

I don't need the volume key support if it will be this slow...

I'm open to the possibility that there's some funky combination that is making mine the exception...

Let me know if you have experienced same-

P
    They not only added the volume keys but a "Real" equalizer now... make sure you have the new equalizer/base boost turned off and you'll get similar play speed as before... It did for me at least. I thought it was a little faster even... i was able to play some higher bit mp3s off my card without as much trouble/skipping. It may however take more processing power. I like the changes so far.
    Noticed that the distortion in the audio is gone now with the new rev. The distortion sounded a little bit as if the sound was clipping. Checking source MP3's I didn't hear the distortion so I assumed it was PTunes.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I jacked with a bunch of stuff and ended up disabling volume rocker and verifying the Treo Butler didn't have the Volume buttons enabled.

I did some other color palette changes in Khroma and that seemed to do something as well, but I have no empirical data to support that statement.

Either way, I tested accessing Blazer directly from Ptunes and it took a "7 count" before I saw the page starting to load.

Of course, the PTunes preferences didn't allow me to regress very easily so perhaps it was the same before? Just seems like 7 seconds to switch to browser is pretty slow.

BTW, the speed was 7 seconds whether I had the browser screen OR the bookmarks as my default.

Would anyone else care to count their "switch time?"
    I had the same problem with PTunes 2.2.1. I tried a few things and my mp3s would actually STOP when I tried to use the radio, either in blazer or verichat. Needless to say, I want back to 2.1.1 since volume is the only useful thing it even has. If you figure out what causes the horrible slow down, let me know, I do have T600 butler installed, but I think that's it as far as things that might effect it. Maybe I'll go try the new version with that disabled and see if my mp3s stop again. After all, what good is playing mp3s if something updates over the data connection and the mp3s stop?
    Well, I reinstalled 2.2.1 and man did it just meraculously start working. I had gotten rid of a couple applications, my phone.prc for the dial pad skin, wavalarm and lightwav. I have a feeling wavalarm and/or lightwav caused the problem, so if you have them, you might want to check it. It works just as fast if not faster now as 2.1.1 did for me.
    Where do you get the update for the Treo 600. Normsofts website says to go to the manufacturers site for the appropriate patch (I have 2.1) but there does not seem to be anything at the Handspring site. Thanks.
    I also installed version 2.2.1 last night and noticed how slow it was. This morning (after reading this thread) I played with the settings, and it does seem to be the equalizer, with it disabled, the speed was acceptable, the volume setting didn't seem to make a difference.
    The upgrade is available at www.pocket-tunes.com
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I don't have Wavalarm OR Lightwav. I thought the Treo Butler "K Launch" was adding overhead, but that wasn't it.

When I am already PLAYING MP3's, response is decent. Summoning the popup controls for PTunes responds quickly and browser is fairly responsive with a *tiny* lag.

I've tried this test a few more times...IF Ptunes is actually playing a song, it will take 6.5-7 seconds to open Blazer. If Ptunes is just open and NOT playing a song, Blazer opens in about 3 seconds, which is acceptable.

Finally...YES it is cold out and NO I have nothing better to do with my time!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I played with the settings, and it does seem to be the equalizer, with it disabled, the speed was acceptable,
    Holy $%#^& Batman! I went into the EQ settings and forgotten I had turned it off...went and enabled it and it took 11 SECONDS to open Blazer from PTunes with the EQ turned on.

Now I'm searching through a desktop full of zip folders trying to find the 2.1 version so I can revert!

OY VEY.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I received a copy of 2.1 from the developer this afternoon and have tested both 2.1 and 2.2.1 side by side-

ENVIRONMENT= Sprint T600
    SONG= 128KB sample rate
    TEST= while playing song in Ptunes under different conditions, launch Blazer and see how long it takes to load Blazer and see the bookmarks page
    SAMPLE SIZE= Two runs for each test

RESULTS:

PTunes 2.1.1 with EQ DISABLED = 7.5 SECONDS
    PTunes 2.1.1 with EQ ENABLED = 7.5 SECONDS

PTunes 2.2.1 with EQ DISABLED = 8.5 SECONDS
    PTunes 2.2.1 with EQ ENABLED = 17.5 SECONDS!!!!
    PTunes 2.2.1 with Bass Boost = 10 SECONDS

Even after Blazer loads with 2.2.1, navigation remains sluggish with the EQ checked. Even Palm application launcher seems slower and everything else too.

I love the EQ, so I'm sticking with 2.1.1!

Hope this has been informative.
    Last edited by phildro; 01/31/2004 at 01:16 PM.
    The equaliser does appear to cause problems, with it enabled I am experiencing dither and 'jump' on mp3s. This does not happen when using Bass boost, or normal play.
    Waiting for response from PT.
    Looks like a big 'Bug'
    nasty since it is the Duluxe version.
    I have to say the sound quality is MUCH better than last version with less distortion and better hi-fi.
    In the old version, the equalizer wasn't a true equalizer, it was some sort of cheat method to use it only on MP3s. The newer versions of Pocket Tunes (2.2 and up) have a true equalizer that will work on both MP3s and Ogg files.
    On a related issue, I upgraded to Treo 1.1 and just tried PTunes to find it saying "Your preferences are for an earlier version of Pocket Tunes. Please upgrade." and then the application shutting off. Anyone seen this? It was working fine before the upgrade and I'd have assumed the restore would have brought back the version I had loaded. I'm installing the new version now but this thread has me concerned about load times! I'm afraid my hair may end up like Phildro after all of this!
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
    I noticed 2.1.1 is MUCH slower also - But it also sounds SO MUCH better!!! (With EQ on.) Maybe when you're browsing you could turn the EQ off?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The newer versions of Pocket Tunes (2.2 and up) have a true equalizer that will work on both MP3s and Ogg files.
    I've never used an Ogg file and not sure why it would be better? I was happy with the "FAKE" equalizer that had more bands so I could attenuate the bass on my tinny earbuds.

I noticed 2.1.1 is MUCH slower also
    I assume you mean 2.2.1?

"Your preferences are for an earlier version of Pocket Tunes. Please upgrade."
    I saw that before too. If you're back-revving, the best way I have found is to delete PTunes via the application launcher, install the original file that you dl'ed when you registered the Treo (has the license information) and then upgrade to the version that you want.

The quality is one thing that I have not done a comparison. Usually I listen to music while in transit to/from work, and there are always noisy trains and buses that interfere with the listening experience.

Are you guys listening to high quality headphones or the HS earbuds to notice the difference?

My priorities are more to be able to multitask quickly because I am almost always doing something on the Treo while listening to music.

Also, the volume control actually gets in my way! I use Volume Rocker to navigate Avantgo so by holding the volume UP button, I go back to the home page.

Now, I go back AND turn the volume up!

Getting better music quality is certainly a good goal, and my needs are pretty esoteric, so I guess the older version is just more appropriate for me at this point.

P
    Last edited by phildro; 02/01/2004 at 03:55 PM.