1.    #1  
    wow,
    Originally posted by godfather
    wow,
    Inherent in GSM not CDMA when data transfer is active.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Originally posted by ChemEngr

Inherent in GSM not CDMA when data transfer is active.
    I KNEW there was a reason that I wanted that crappy ATT Wireless data plan.
    Originally posted by godfather
    wow,
    Well, that makes 2 of us. And I am using a Sprint CDMA phone. It used to be that when I got a call and using data it would go to voicemail. However, yesterday I received a call while listening to Pocket Tunes. And I just made a call while using data. Has anyone else noticed this?

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    This thread seems confused.

My understanding is that if you are using 1xRTT (CDMA) or GPRS (GSM) data service, the only time you will be unable to receive calls is when your Treo is actively transmitting or receiving data (this is indicated by green arrows in the signal strength meter), and if you are using CSD service (dial-up access), all incoming calls will go to your voicemail untill you disconnect your data session.

Which would mean:

godfather -- you can't. You can receive a call while reading a page in Blazer, but not while Blazer is actively requesting or downloading a page.

ChemEngr -- it should be the same for both CDMA and GSM, I believe.

jimmyk001 -- you really don't want the crappy plan.

cash70 -- when you say "listening to Pocket Tunes," do you mean listening to Shoutcast? Otherwise, no big deal.

...Unless I'm confused, which is possible. In which case: !
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Snerdy's right. The GSM and CDMA versions operate the same in this regard. Neither can receive a call while a data session is "active." (meaning, downloading or uploading something)
    I concus. I bought the GSM and CDMA versions of the phone to test this very thing (there's a lot of misinformation on this board about this topic).

The CDMA and GSM version work EXACTLY the same in this regard meaning:

If you're *actively* using a data connection (ie, it says either "sending" or "receiving" in blazer), an incoming call will go directly to voice mail.

If you simply have a web browser or email client open but not actively sending or receiving data from the internet, the phone alerts you to the incoming call and you can answer it.

Once and for all: the GSM version does NOT allow you to answer an incoming call while actively using data. Hope this helps,

Jeff
    Concur. Argh.
    if this is true, then there goes one advantage GSM has been touting. I was envious of that feature but wasn't important to me. I've read hundreds of threads saying that GSM allows voice call interruption of active data streams. Who's right? Any GSM afficionados out there?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    this is true for HS's work, Sony Ericsson does allow for simultaneous voice and data sessions. Nokia's smartphones behave like HS's Treo though
    Originally posted by snerdy
    cash70 -- when you say "listening to Pocket Tunes," do you mean listening to Shoutcast? Otherwise, no big deal.
    Got you. That clears it. It wasn't Shoutcast. Thanks!

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    this is true for HS's work, Sony Ericsson does allow for simultaneous voice and data sessions. Nokia's smartphones behave like HS's Treo though
    Yeah, that makes sense, although it's probably still a kind of network hardware issue rather than a failing on the part of the manufacturer, per se. One of the factors that makes both the GSM and CDMA Treos behave the way they do is the class of the radio in the devices (again, this is just my understanding, I could be wrong). If Sony Ericsson puts a different type of radio in their devices, then, yes, this could be possible, I suppose.

ChemEngr -- there are definitely advantages to tout for GSM over CDMA. For instance, the GSM network inherently handles multiple calls better than CDMA. Basically with a GSM phone you can recieve multiple calls, conference them together, drop individual calls from the conference or hang up on one line while keeping the others connected. With CDMA you can only have two calls connected, you can only coference them if you initiate the calls and you can only hang up on all lines at once (although there is a kind of work-around where if you have a call on hold, that line sort of calls you back after you hang up on both the active calls). (Note: I'm a Sprint user and I might not have the GSM thing exactly correct.)

It may also be possible that no radios for simultaneous data & voice exist for CDMA. 100thMonkey indicates that GSM radios like this must exist, so that might be an answer, too.