Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It isn't necessarily that the BB is faster, it's just different technology. I used the color 7230 BB for several months until T-Mobile offered thier unlimited data packages. Then I switched to the SE P900 and most recently to the Treo 600. Saved me the $40/mo BB fee.

The BB is push technology which means as soon as an e-mail arrives into your mailbox, it is pushed to the BB unit. Makes it convenient for always staying in touch. The Treo 600 can be set to go and get e-mail every x mnutes. Not really a big deal in comparison. Either way, you have your new messages within a few minutes of them arriving in your inbox.

What I did not like about the BB was the phone. Very difficult to position the earpiece without losing volume, and kind of ackward to talk on. The color screen was actually very disappointing as well as the backlighting. What I did like was the keyboard and spacing of the keys. Very easy to type with using 2 thumbs.

My SE P900 was a nice unit but still a little bulky and inconsistant JOT recognition. The TREO unit is the perfect combination of phone and PDA. My only gripe is the keyboard is a little on the small side, but not so small that it is unusable. Just takes a little more practice than the BB.

I was never a Treo fan with thier previous designs. The goofy flip lid on the 270s, etc... But this new 600 is the perfect design and balance for both a phone and PDA. Performance and ergonomics are near perfect.

Enjoy............just my $.10 worth.
    Thanks,

np
    As a phone, the Treo 600 far outperforms the BlackBerry - and it does take a while to figure out where to hold the BB for optimal use. I like the keyboard on the BlackBerry better than on the Treo 600, and if you need corporate e mail, it's no comparison (unless you are running a Goodlink server, which I am not) - the BlackBerry wins hands down.

The BlackBerry has some intelligence built into the keyboard interface. For example, if you are typing an e mail address, the first time you hit the space bar it adds an @ sign, and all subsequent spaces are translated to .

So it makes it very easy to type e mail addresses...

I don't miss the BlackBerry. I am still attached (literally) to my T-Mobile BlackBerry 7230, and won't be switching to a Treo 600. But the Treo 600 is still really nice.

It all depends on your requirements!
  3.    #23  
    Thanks for all the info.

Just got this letter from my rep (no phone yet, though) -

Here is the push e-mail solution for the Treo I referenced
    earlier. I don't
    have any personal experience with it but it might be worth you
    investigating.

Thanks,
    J

> Subject: FYI - push email on TREO 600
    >
    >
    > This company offers a "PUSH" email solution to all Palm
    devices including
    > the Treo 600.  They charge $45.00 per year to use their host
    exchange.
    > Here is their web-site.
    >
    > www.basejet.com
    >
    >
    > M A
    > Account Executive - Corporate Saleswww.basejet.com
    thankyou for the comparisons! ive always been curious regarding the blackberry. after reading the post im glad i went with the treo.

thanks again
    Folks,

Regarding the types of data services oferred by T-Mobile...there is a big difference if you plan to use a laptop with your phone as a modem.

Only the VPN solution (I think) gives you a true internet IP, while the others are done via NAT and/or proxy. The price is the same for unlimited on all.

Now this was as of 1 year ago when I last tested T-Mobile. When I tried to use my corporate network, the VPN would not connect. Then I called them, and they told me I needed a true internet connection and swictched me over.

Hope this helps...

Glenn
  6.    #26  
    My rep called yesterday and said that T-mo will be releasing another 300 phones today (for entire USA).

Thanks for all the info in this thread - BTW.
    "Mandatory On-Topic Content:
    If they don't come out with one on T-Mo, I'll probably get one through AT&T, unlock it, and swap SIM cards depending on whether I was using voice (AT&T) or data (T-Mo) at the time."

How would you manage to have phone service with ATT and data service with T-Mo at the same time? I have a 600 on order with ATT but I'm worried about their data costs. I know the units can be unlocked, but not sure about the next step. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    You can get a data-only plan from T-Mobile for $30. I assume he meant having a voice plan with AT&T as well as that. Sounds a bit inconvenient to me, even if the data price for TMO is that much better than AT&T. And like he said, the phone would need to be unlocked first so that he could swap SIMs (he wouldn't be using both at the same time).

Wouldn't it just be easier to stick with TMO then? Get the data and voice through them? I don't see the point in splitting it up....
    Prior to making the AT&T commitment to thier GSM product, you may want to gather some opinions on some of these forums. Everything I have heard is that AT&T's network is pathetic. Slow, frequent disconnects, poor coverage, etc... The fact that both Cingular and AT&T entered into a roaming agreement with T-Mo says a lot about their own GSM penetration and coverage.

Secondly, why bother going through the hassle and expense of unlocking an AT&T Treo 600, when you can purchase one that is already unlocked from any Cingular dealer or store. I did that, poped my T-Mo SIM in, and away I went.

IMO, T-Mo has excellent coverage and the best voice and data plans out there. I am on a 5000 minute/$99 plan with unlimited data for $2.99/mo. Granted I am grandfathered from a year ago when I joined, but even today, you can get unlimited data on your Treo, POP3 e-mail, web access all for as little as $4.99.

I would strongly recommend against doing a voice plan with one carrier and a data plan with another. If you are in fact committed to GSM technology, select the best provider and use one for all.
    Thanks,

np
  10.    #30  
    Latest letter from T-mo - CALL A T-MO CORPORATE REP *TODAY* - (if you would like to try to get one of these 300 T600's)

"You were confirmed so you should get your Treo on Thursday. Call
    me when you
    get it and read me the number off the sim card you have that
    will come in
    the box and I will do a sim swap for you.

Thanks,
    J"
    First off, not affiliated, blah blah...

I just placed my order for a Tmo T600 today through BusFish.com. This is a small online business that is a authorized Tmo reseler. They have access to the coveted Tmo T600 and I placed my order today and I spoke to the man in chrge at BusFish and it will be here by Fri. Last I spoke with him he had 9 T600's left. It cost me $575 as an existing Tmo customer (it would be $499 with new activation). I got tired of waiting for Tmo and HS to release the T600 through "consumer" channels, and although i may have ended up paying a little more than when that happens- when will "when" be? I want it now and I was willing to pay a little more for that convenience.

Check out BusFish.com if you want to go this route.

NOTE: the site will say OUT OF STOCK, because they order them from their supply warehouse as the orders come in, so don't get discouraged when you see this.
  12.    #32  
    Oh, yeah - cost of T600 from T-mo is $499 as an existing customer.
    Originally posted by MoseGiganticus
    First off, not affiliated, blah blah...

I just placed my order for a Tmo T600 today through BusFish.com. This is a small online business that is a authorized Tmo reseler. They have access to the coveted Tmo T600 and I placed my order today and I spoke to the man in chrge at BusFish and it will be here by Fri. Last I spoke with him he had 9 T600's left. It cost me $575 as an existing Tmo customer (it would be $499 with new activation). I got tired of waiting for Tmo and HS to release the T600 through "consumer" channels, and although i may have ended up paying a little more than when that happens- when will "when" be? I want it now and I was willing to pay a little more for that convenience.

Check out BusFish.com if you want to go this route.

NOTE: the site will say OUT OF STOCK, because they order them from their supply warehouse as the orders come in, so don't get discouraged when you see this.
    MoseGiganticus.....can you please update us when your unit comes in. Have you ever done business with BusFish or known anyone that has ??

Thanks for the info.......
    Thanks,

np
    I have never dealt with BusFish before, I actuallyfound out about it through BusFish posting a thread saying they had Tmo T600's. BusFish is a very small company (as far as I can tell run by one guy, David). I spoke with David at length about the T600, Tmo, HS, etc... He's a very cool guy. I admit I was suspicious at first buying a $600 device from a company that I found out about from their own post, but I am as confident with them now as I would be ordering from HS themselves.

My T600 is scheduled for delivery today (it's 1:22am Thursday). I won't be home until about 11pm Thurs night, but it should be waiting for me. UPS has the tracking number as being on it's way. I'll let you all know when i get it.
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
  15.    #35  
    T-mo sent my Treo 600! It arrived 2/5/04.
    Same here; our second T600 (for my wife) arrived yesterday afternoon. She loves it!
    <insert jealousy here>
    Ok, I just spoke to my roomate who informaed me that my T600 just arrived via UPS. So although I have not been there to confirm it, I trust that he's not lying to me (that would be cruel). Now I just have to wait until 10pm to get home and play with it (I guess I won't be sleeping tonight!).

Unless something unforseen happend in shipping- BusFish rocks!
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    Im a current T-mobile customer but do not have a represenative is there a number that you used to get yours (T600 that is)?

Eddie
    MoseGiganticus

I would have to agree with your assesment of BusFish.com I received my Fed-X tracking number today, less than 18 hours after I ordered the Treo 600. It is scheduled for delivery on Monday.

David at www.busfish.com was very professional and prompt with his communication.

Thanks,

np
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast