Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I have read all the threads regarding webmail. However, none of them address my question, I think!

My company uses a webmail service (http://webmail.companyname.com/exchange) to give external access to our MS Outlook information which resides behind our firewall on our Exchange server. I hit the URL, put in my username and password, and tada, I am in an internet hosted version of my Outlook folder. It's pretty slick from my laptop, but I cannot find a way to access the site from my Treo 600. I get an "Unknown Authentication Type" error. I('m told it could be the lack of support for Java and JavaScript.)

Oh, to give it one more twist, I work in a remote location and use this webmail service from my laptop unless I happen to be visiting the HQ. Leaving my laptop at home to host something like Visto, wouldn't really work.

Does anyone have any ideas? The tech support people at AT&T and Handspring don't have all the info. Neither do I. For example, my IT people tell me the sight still uses Exchange server, but others insist, since it is web based, it must be pop3.

I'm willing to subscribe to whatever will make it work, within reason. I have talked to everyone I can think of. Maybe I should have asked here first!

Anyway, Thanks for your help!

Mac
    Right next to this thread is one titled "PCS Mail Buildup". Link follows. It has your answer. If you'r not a Sprint customer create a Yahoo email account and use it instead of a sprint email account.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t47361/s.html
    Our company uses the same webmail protocol. I find that I can use my Handspring E-mail client to access my company e-mail. You just set the incoming server to "webmail.company_name.com". They don't allow me to use their outgoing server to send mail so I just use my Yahoo account for that. This way, I don't have to bother with going to the web for e-mail. I can also set it up to check the mail automatically.

I hope this helps!

Paul
    Have you tried http://webmail.companyname.com ?
    That is what I use and it works great.
    Paul, I tried this and it doesn't work. THe incoming server says (pop3) and it an exchange server we are working with. are the selections that I am missing?
    Thanks
    For incoming (POP3) server, I just type webmail.company_name.com. Under the Name tab, I put in my full name, my email address, and my user name. Of course, you have to enter a password as well. Under the Advanced tab, I just check to leave mail on the server. This is what works for me. Let me know if any of this helps.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Thanks Paul,

I'm making progress. I am connecting to the server now. The webmail.company_name.com lets me connect. But, so far, no emails. I have sent test messages every which way to test what is and isn't working. So far, no luck, but no error messages either.

When you started did download your inbox or just new unopened emails?

How are you charged for your yahoo account? Air time? Data rates?

Thanks again, It's good to be making progress.

Mac
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Thanks Paul,

I'm making progress. I am connecting to the server now. The webmail.company_name.com lets me connect. But, so far, no emails. I have sent test messages every which way to test what is and isn't working. So far, no luck, but no error messages either.

Mac
    I was getting the same too, check the log for that account and i bet you will see that it will say lost network connection.

You get no error, correct? Then you get the inbox and it's empty, correct?

Howabout Webmail via Blazer, stil no go?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Burkhardi,

Your a prophet! And your exactly right. I haven't had a chance to tweek it any more. I'll let you know how I do. Keep me posted too.
    Originally posted by McTreo
    Thanks Paul,

Mac
    Mac,

I had to make sure that the SSL boxes under "Advanced" were not checked. Otherwise, I couldn't log in. As for downloading, I just hit "send and receive" and my mails started to pour in. Since the default was set to download only the last seven days, that was all the mail that I got. But, you should definitely get those e-mails. These were mails that I had already opened on my work PC. As for Yahoo, I pay a $30 a year (I think) to get the POP3 access from them. It is well worth it. Air time and data rates are a flat $10 to Sprint each month. I think that this is the best deal out there.

Paul
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. My SSL is turned off and I still have an empty inbox. As Burkhardi mentioned, I get a "lost network connection" message in the log. I've got to believe I'm close, but I don't know what else to try. Anyone?....... Anyone?......

The earlier post from dgoodisi sounds like a slick solution once I can reach my email. I look forward to trying it.

Thanks! -Mac
    I also get the "lost network connection" message in the log while using the Handspring Beta Mail client trying to connect to Yahooo and SPrint PCS mail.
    I'm nothing to do with the above company but they solved all my email and webmail problems using www.gopherking.com (and 20 a year). For this I can access all my email accounts whether they are simap imap pop pop3 etc. I then use gprs to connect all my accounts. This is very fast and efficient. Very nice people to deal with.

I spoke to our IT people and much of the webmail problem exists around Firewalls and the simap protocol. Gopherking gets round all these problems in that it supports many of the latest protocols. Hope this helps and that I'm not teaching my grandmother to ...........
    Regards
    TC
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. In my on-going efforts to solve this puzzle, I have asked my IT folks if they can have a copy of my email sent to an outside pop3 address. The first attempt wouldn't let them copy outside the network. They are currently checking on a couple of things.

nssrac,

I checked out the gopherking site you mentioned. They look real good. Were your problems you mentioned similar to what I have discribed? What is their support like in the states?

God's country?.........you must live in the highlands!

Thanks again!

Mac
    Gods Country (County) is Yorkshire. I could never collect or send my email because most modern companies/universities use high levels of security to protect their servers. Hence using Gopherking which allows the use of simap etc. It is an American company so I would think their support is good. They have certainly resonded to and helped me in the UK.
    Regards
    TC
    I am outrageously happy in my stupidity - Snoopy Poster (circa 1970)
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Thanks! I'm downloading a trial. Will advise.

Mac

PS I love Top Cat