1.    #1  
    I have Exchange forward a copy of my email to my Sprintpcs address and then I pick it up with Snapper. Snapper is easier and faster than getting it on the Vision site on my Treo. The problem is, my Sprintpcs mail builds up very quickly and is very slow to erase, even on the website. I spend about 20 minutes a day doing it. I talked to Sprint about having it erased automatically after one day or so, but no dice. Is there a way to access email from my Exchange server to my Treo without having it sent to my Sprintpcs address first? My systems guy says no, but I need another opinion because this is a real hassle. Any other advise on how to get around this problem would also be appreciated. Thanks.
    Probably not, as your company probably has a firewall in place that would prevent direct POP3/IMAP access. And since both POP3 and IMAP aren't secure without SSL, those could present security issues with username/password floating over the internet in plain text.

If your systems guy believes in the security of IIS, there's always the option of making Outlook Web Access available, and there are a couple of alternate OWA versions out there that are more suited for PDA and WAP/WML access with PDA's and cell phones. But that would require using Blazer, not Snappermail.

If VPN is an option, then you could use the Mergic VPN client to connect to the network, putting you behind the firewall, then you could use Snapper to get to the mail server.

- Mike
  3.    #3  
    I have Outlook Web Access, but I can't get it on my Treo 600. I get "Access Denied" and "Unknown Authentication Type." I dont' get the cooked to put in my name and my password either. Is there something I can do to get Outlook Web Access on the Treo 600?
    Originally posted by Cliffeley
    I have Exchange forward a copy of my email to my Sprintpcs address and then I pick it up with Snapper. Snapper is easier and faster than getting it on the Vision site on my Treo. The problem is, my Sprintpcs mail builds up very quickly and is very slow to erase, even on the website. I spend about 20 minutes a day doing it. I talked to Sprint about having it erased automatically after one day or so, but no dice. Is there a way to access email from my Exchange server to my Treo without having it sent to my Sprintpcs address first? My systems guy says no, but I need another opinion because this is a real hassle. Any other advise on how to get around this problem would also be appreciated. Thanks.
    Search this forum for "TreoHelper", username "pototaho".

Download and install treohelper v56. Perform a soft reset to allow treohelper to intercept SMS messages.

Login to your sprint account in a browser. Under PCS Mail there is a configuration option to send a notification to your phone when email arrives. Not sure where it is, check filters.

In treohelper goto SMS in the dropdown. Set a SMS text filer and configure it to launch SnapperMail when that filter is triggered and to "delete" the SMS message. You will need to experiment with the filter to trigger only when Sprint sends you an email notification. Verichat uses SMS also, you don't want to loose your IM notifications from Verichat as well.

Configure Snapper to delete email off the server.

Now you have "push" email. Everythime your Sprint email account gets an email it sends an sms to your phone. Treohelper intercepts the SMS, deletes it, and launches snappermail. Snapper downloads the email.
    There are several desktop redirectors that you can load on your office pc and sync your exchange inbox with your pda, over ssl.

You probably already are paying for one of them, Business Connection Personal Edition, with your Vision services.

This works reasonably, and keeps your inbox in sync.

There are many threads going over this, and lots more on the Sprint site.
  6.    #6  
    dgoodisi

Thanks for the tips on that. It doesn't seem to work, but I must be doing something wrong. Snapper doesn't start when I get an email notification. If you have any tips, please let me know. I'll continue to search for the potatoho message about it. Thanks again.
    Originally posted by Cliffeley
    dgoodisi

Thanks for the tips on that. It doesn't seem to work, but I must be doing something wrong. Snapper doesn't start when I get an email notification. If you have any tips, please let me know. I'll continue to search for the potatoho message about it. Thanks again.
    First confirm that you are getting the SMS notifications from Sprint when an email arrives.

If the SMS is arriving then try using the "@" as the filter text in TreoHelper, make sure the "Use this filter" check box is checked, and I would temporarily uncheck the "Delete" check box.

And don't forget the soft reset.
    Cliffeley: have you tried Sprint Business Connection? This will give you direct access to you Exchange (or Domino), and includes a Web UI page, where you can view (and delete!) up to 25 messages at a time. In that way, it's much faster/easier than the web UI for PCS Mail....
    Business connection requires the opening of another port in the firewall, and my company wouldn't do it. Several products are available that use the same port as web access, however, so if you have web access they should work. I've tried (in order of preference):

BaseJet
    Symmetry Pro
    Visto Message Express
    Inbox to Go
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Cliffeley,

This is what I do to get around the problem of having the Sprint inbox pile up every day.

I do everything you do except, I add the following:

When TreoHelper is alerted by SMS and launches SnapperMail to fetch my mail, I have an additional profile in SnapperMail that downloads the SprintPCS inbox and directs its fetched messages into the SnapperMail trash folder. I also have a SnapperMail rule that tells SnapperMail to remove the message from Sprint's inbox upon upon 0 days). Oila. No full inbox and the SprintPCS inbox is cleared out in arrears upon every Snappermail fetch. Of course, this only works if you don't plan on using the Sprint email account for real mail.
    Last edited by Trez; 02/09/2004 at 12:52 PM.
    meyerweb - What special port are you referring to for Business connection? The beauty of BC is it uses standard ports to 80 / 443 to communicate through which is pretty standard in most organizations that support Internet access. In fact it is effective enough that most IT orgs don't really realize it is going on and so it does not burden them with deployment issues.
    how do you forward from exchange? that would help a lot but I don't know how
    Originally posted by dgoodisi

Search this forum for "TreoHelper", username "pototaho".

Download and install treohelper v56. Perform a soft reset to allow treohelper to intercept SMS messages.

Login to your sprint account in a browser. Under PCS Mail there is a configuration option to send a notification to your phone when email arrives. Not sure where it is, check filters.

In treohelper goto SMS in the dropdown. Set a SMS text filer and configure it to launch SnapperMail when that filter is triggered and to "delete" the SMS message. You will need to experiment with the filter to trigger only when Sprint sends you an email notification. Verichat uses SMS also, you don't want to loose your IM notifications from Verichat as well.

Configure Snapper to delete email off the server.

Now you have "push" email. Everythime your Sprint email account gets an email it sends an sms to your phone. Treohelper intercepts the SMS, deletes it, and launches snappermail. Snapper downloads the email.
    This works exactly as explained fy dgoodisi for me! The only things is that the text messsages I get from the sprintpcs mail now say "check PCS Mail". Thus I've changed the Treohlper Trigger to "PCS Mail" and it works fine...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions