Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Hi,

unbelievable, but its up and running - the 3G network from T-Mo, UMTS.

Possible speed: 384 kBit

A few minutes ago I performed a first test with a Nokia 7600 and a Tungsten T3.

But I am not sure its really faster than my Treo 600 and GPRS.

Anybody here with an idea how to test the performance UMTS vs. GPRS? I want to download a file about 384 k from an ftp server. The Treo with GPRS and the T3 with UMTS. Anybody here who wants to download the file with a Treo and a CDMA network? So we have some hopefully usable results. I can upload the file to a Minnesota or San Francisco based Server.

Oliver
    RTFM
    Why don't you test it here:

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

Mike
    Originally posted by knoppi
    Hi,

unbelievable, but its up and running - the 3G network from T-Mo, UMTS.

Possible speed: 384 kBit

A few minutes ago I performed a first test with a Nokia 7600 and a Tungsten T3.

But I am not sure its really faster than my Treo 600 and GPRS.

Anybody here with an idea how to test the performance UMTS vs. GPRS? I want to download a file about 384 k from an ftp server. The Treo with GPRS and the T3 with UMTS. Anybody here who wants to download the file with a Treo and a CDMA network? So we have some hopefully usable results. I can upload the file to a Minnesota or San Francisco based Server.

Oliver
    Where are you located? I'm just curious because I wasn't aware that TMo had deployed UMTS in any part of their network as yet, in addition to there being only a few UMTS capable handsets available. In any event if you are browsing via UMTS then there is no comparison, GPRS on the current class 10 devices can only do around 50k in average conditions. Sprints 1xrtt while billed as 3G isn't truly 3G compliant and will only get you 70-80k under average conditions. UMTS' theorectical throughput is much greater than either 1xrtt or GPRS, even in real world conditions you should still best the data raters of the two former protocols several times over.