1.    #1  
    So... i tried it on Panther running Virtual PC XP Home Edition... Disabled my mac hotsync, then hotsynced to the virtual pc... then voila... updater! it worked.

i suppose handspring should just include vpcxp in the updater. that would be that.
    that they didn't just make it a prc file or something that everyone could use.
    Someone on this thread extracted and posted the files. I installed it with no problems.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I just got off of the phone with a Sprint tech who said that they "have a Mac version but [they're] not sure that it works". Apparently Handspring provided this file to them, and they haven't tested the Mac version well or something. He recommended that I go to a Sprint store. I recommended that they put *anything* on the web site regarding a Mac version being in the works, if only so that they're not completely disregarding us.

In the meantime, let's hammer PalmOne until they fix this, or they pressure Sprint to fix it.

I'm in agreement with people who say that it should have been in generic PRC form so that anyone (including Linux) could update easily. This is BS. I paid as much for this phone and service as everyone else, and would have been less inclined to support a company that doesn't support me (Sprint and palmOne) had I known in advance.
    Is this a problem, yes. Is it a major problem.... definitely not. Just use the files posted in the other thread and upgrade. It works fine and isn't any big deal. Is it really worth getting so worked up over?
    Originally posted by dacreativeguy
    Is this a problem, yes. Is it a major problem.... definitely not. Just use the files posted in the other thread and upgrade. It works fine and isn't any big deal. Is it really worth getting so worked up over?
    Of course it is. =)

I actually have the means to update my Treo - I also have a PC for just such occasions, though I have only fired it up once in a year and had to coax it into cooperating... It's just fundamentally bad practice, and if people don't speak up things get worse.

As for using files posted by users, how are people supposed to know if those are the real files, or that the installer process does not require some tiny, arcane thing that's not included in the PRCs? Better safe than sorry...
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I agree all mac users should call sprint and let them know, the more mac users they know they have the more willing they will be to not be so ignorant.