1.    #1  
    Ok, just got a new treo (had old one replaced due to "network search" problem).

We can all admit that this nifty little thing is not the most stable device we've come across (can't count the number of times its frozer or resetted in the last month) - so i'm taking the minimalist approach.

I want to essentially only sync back my contacts and 4-5 necessary programs. How do I do that without getting back all the old crap that i either don't use or don't care about. How do i know what i can and can't delete from the "backup" folder. Should I delete EVERYTHING from my backup folder and reinstall the necessary programs from scratch (which would require looking up my registration codes again).

what do you suggest?
    Last edited by petesamprs; 01/28/2004 at 09:40 PM.
    For a clean start, I think your best bet is to delete everything from the backup. Then contact the developers of the few apps you want to keep and they can send you your registration codes.

Then buy SplashID or something else and keep your reg codes in a safe place...just in case.

Good Luck.
  3.    #3  
    followups:
    1) Are any of the files in the backup folder necessary for the operation of the phone - there's a lot of crap in there i don't recognize.

2) Will I lose my contacts/calendar info if i delete my backups for folder.

thanks
    Originally posted by petesamprs
    followups:
    1) Are any of the files in the backup folder necessary for the operation of the phone - there's a lot of crap in there i don't recognize.

2) Will I lose my contacts/calendar info if i delete my backups for folder.

thanks
    The only things NECESSARY for the operation of the Treo will be there after a hard reset. But if you delete the backups folder, I don't know if you'll get all your contacts and calendar entries back after a re-sync. You can always rename the backups folder and try it. Then rename it back if it fails.

I'd also go into Palm Desktop and do an export of all your data in each applet, so you can re-import them if necessary.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    It's my understanding that all you have to do is move your backup folder out of the programs/handspring/username location, like move it to the desktop for now. I've done hard resets that way when I want (need) to keep my username but get a clean start. Just make sure your hotsync conduits are properly set to retrieve your basic info, i.e. calendar, contacts, memos, etc.
    At any rate, I never delete my backup folder that way, then I can pick and choose what I want to reinstall.
    I believe your apps and many settings files etc are stored in the backup folder. contacts, memos, etc, are stored elsewhere.