1.    #1  
    Rumor: palmOne Working on Palm OS 6 Upgrade
    Submitted by PalmInfoCenter
    January 28, 2004 02:32 PM

updated New information received by PalmInfocenter indicates that palmOne is currently testing a Palm OS 6 upgrade for select current palmOne handhelds. Devices with Flashable ROM with enough room to spare to fit the new OS, should be able to be upgraded.
    A concerned PIC reader wrote into palmOne support to inquire whether palmOne would make Palm OS 6 available to current owners of the Tungsten C. The support person replied back with a detailed response, indicating that the company is in fact working on an upgrade.

will we be able to upgrade our treos from os 5.2 to os 6? how awesome would this be?! the article states its a matter of having enough flash memory to be able to allow room for the upgrade. i guess time will tell. any opinions?
    Would be cool if I knew what it did! lol

But an upgrade is an upgrade!
  3.    #3  
    palm os 6 will have several features which are regularly requested by business users - lotus and outlook support, as well as other additions.

i would like to see multitasking... able to web surf and talk on the phone at the same time.
    Originally posted by treobk214
    i would like to see multitasking... able to web surf and talk on the phone at the same time.
    I doubt a simple OS upgrade would allow that. I think that would require different hardware altogether.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    The hardware of the Treo 600 should be able to support multitasking without issue. Remember that it is based on the TI OMAP ARM processor, which is used in several Symbian and MS SmartPhone devices, all of which multitask quite well.

While I am not holding my breath waiting for an upgrade, assuming the Flash ROM is large enough and there are no telephony-related issues, a PalmOS 6 upgrade should be able to offer all the features you'd see on other devices.

Come on, Handspring. Make us happy!
    the treo may not have enuf ram to install the new os.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    There's a conference coming up to discuss the Palm OS 6 features. This page has some brief discussions. Looks pretty good.

http://palmsource.confreg.com/schedule/palmos/?r=hp3
    Originally posted by Tavisjohn

I doubt a simple OS upgrade would allow that. I think that would require different hardware altogether.
    Yes - as in a new radio. This is feature of the type of radio, because you can read email while on the phone, check your calendar while on the phone, it's just you cannot send DATA while on the phone. I believe that GSM has this functionality, but it's not inherrant in CDMA phones.

L
    Lee Ladisky

That is simply NOT possible, but not b/c of PalmOS. It's b/c the CDMA 1xrtt Treo600 wireless standard does not support simutaneous data and voice. You'll have to wait for 1xEvDv for that. Also the GSM Treo600 is a Class B device which also only supports voice and data services one at a time...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yes, both gsm and cdma versions would require different radios and the networks would possbly require different towers to allow for transmiting data and voice at the same time.

Don't expect this anytime soon for Palm or Pocket PC
    A concerned PIC reader wrote into palmOne support to inquire whether palmOne would make Palm OS 6 available to current owners of the Tungsten C. The support person replied back with a detailed response, indicating that the company is in fact working on an upgrade.

will we be able to upgrade our treos from os 5.2 to os 6? how awesome would this be?! the article states its a matter of having enough flash memory to be able to allow room for the upgrade. i guess time will tell. any opinions?
    Not trying to be a smart-***, but the article you quoted stated that one person asked PalmOne support whether it would be available for the Tungsten and received a detailed answer. If curious about Treo support, why not do the same rather than ask random TreoCentral users who have nothing to do with the actual development efforts?

-A
    Multitasking doesn't just mean data and telephone at the same time. I, for one, would be very happy to be able to multitask Palm applications. ( i.e. have a web page loading in the background while I check something in my calendar.

But I think you can expect OS6, especially in it's first iteration, to be way slow compared to OS 5. I'm not sure I'm willing to make that tradeoff.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

That is simply NOT possible, but not b/c of PalmOS. It's b/c the CDMA 1xrtt Treo600 wireless standard does not support simutaneous data and voice. You'll have to wait for 1xEvDv for that. Also the GSM Treo600 is a Class B device which also only supports voice and data services one at a time...
    Well, my Treo 600 allows both data and voice, but it is a GPRS one.

DdJ
    Originally posted by dejudicibus

Well, my Treo 600 allows both data and voice, but it is a GPRS one.

DdJ
    I doubt that. You cannot surf the web and make a voice call simutaneously on the GSM Treo600. It is a Class B device and thus simply is not possible. However what you may be referring to is the ability to receive a call while surfing the web. In this case the Treo will be automatically be able to switch to voice from data and vice versa w/o disconnecting. Obviously though, this is not the same thing as have voice+data at the same time...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions