• Worked through some problems, glad I did it

65 24.07%
  • Had too many problems, wish I hadn't updated

16 5.93%
  • Total disaster. Be afraid, be very Afraid

3 1.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I'd like to get everyone's input on this, so please forgive me for bumping my own post.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Blazer is faster after I upgraded. I did experience a soft reset today as well as a hang-up with a sound similar to holding a key down on a keyboard. I had to do a manual soft reset with that one. Weird!
    It seems that the screen on the Treo 600 is perceptibly better after doing the upgrade - it seems brighter and sharper - has anyone else noticed this? any idea why this change? i do like it!
    Originally posted by DaveTreo300600
    It seems that the screen on the Treo 600 is perceptibly better after doing the upgrade - it seems brighter and sharper - has anyone else noticed this? any idea why this change? i do like it!
    I highly doubt the upgrade improved your screen. More likely your screen settings (contrast & brightness) just got reset.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Everything went okay, except that my phonebook was not restored. I only have Account information, customer solutions, etc...

I filed a web-based tech support issue yesterday. They said that I should call to work through the issue.

I called. I spent 10 mins waiting for customer service. First question she asked: 'would you like to add a line for only .. $xxx --- NO!' A further few minutes while the rep verfied my account information. I told her the problem, she said that I should take my phone into a store. I said that wasn't going to help because most likely the phonebook was stored on my PC as a backup file.

So, she agreed to transfer me to someone else, that person turned out to be a machine, asking me to confirm my agreement to terms and service covering a recently added line. Um.... ok.... so I did that, then I got 'your new line is now activated' (it was already), and promptly hung up on.

Does anyone know which of the files in
    c:\program files\handspring\<user>\backup hold the phonebook info?

I have PhoneCallDB.PDB - but that seems to be just the call history

And PhoneFavorites.PDB is just the favorites.
    Last edited by stevep98; 01/30/2004 at 01:40 PM.
    The upgrade went very smooth for me, had the klondike issue (deleted and reinstalled). The thing that has me worried is that now my T6 seems to bog down on occassion like it is trying to figure out what button I pushed or is trying to process something. For example, I will hit the telephone button and it will take 20 seconds for it to turn on. I have tried numerous program deletions, reinstalls, and hard resets. Nothing seems to fix it. I was using treo600sms prior to this so I almost wish I had not upgraded.
    Hmm, not sure I know how to vote.

I installed it. I had plenty of problems, but I did succeeded.

I'm not sure if I am glad I did it. The only difference I have seen so far is that there are more blue pixels in the camera in low light than there were before.

And if it is "required", i'm still not sure if that's good. They may have stuck something in there to limit bandwidth during peak times or something, who knows. Beleive it or not, not all updates are for OUR benefit.

Hmmm .... what to vote, what to vote ....

I guess i'll go with #2. That browser cookie thing being fixed is nice. I don't have to keep deleting the WebCookies app.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Originally posted by stevep98
    Everything went okay, except that my phonebook was not restored. I only have Account information, customer solutions, etc...

HELP US!!!!!!!!

im having the same exact problem as you stevep98
    Ugh!
    Tried twice..same problem.
    After resetting it seemed to load something (horizontal black bar) then starting updating (little green dot) but bombed out and said Operation failed, Application not found.

When I re-synced I have had to reinstall license codes, and even Pocket Tunes gives a weird message. Avantgo doesn't load the graphics.

What a waste. I can't believe so many of you updated so successfully....not sure what's different about my system.

Well anyway I just hope I can everything back to the way it was!
    Jim
    Had a couple of problems with AvantGo, Agendus, and some Silverscreen themes. Reinstalled the apps and solved the bugs. Still no SMS yet.
    I deleted it and beamed it from my brother's treo but it still crashes.
    Greetings:

The upgrade destroyed (lost) all of the data I had put on my SD card via PowerRun.

Futhermore, software directly installed on the card had to have their registration codes re-entered.

I didn't notice any benefits from the upgrade.

Thank you.
    =====================
    Peter M. Abraham
    Dynamic Net, Inc.
    http://www.dynamicnet.net/
    Originally posted by ChemEngr

I highly doubt the upgrade improved your screen. More likely your screen settings (contrast & brightness) just got reset.
    You mean you don't have hi-res and BT now? I got both with my update... and when I look at "phone info" it shows that my Treo is now a model 610.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Have to give HS their props on this one...updater put "everything back in its place" when it finished--and now SMS works! (Too bad this is now my wife's T600, and I've "upgraded" to the SMS-less T608... )
  15. dre
    I began my install with about 5 megs of free memory. I did not turn off LauncherX or findhack (both installed on my treo). During the ROM upgrade, just when the black progress bar started, I received an error message saying that operation couldn't be completed because a file couldn't be found (not sure what the name of the file was). Panic time. Figured my Treo would never work again as the ROM was probably now empty. Calmed down and continued operation. Install software left treo software pretty much the same as it reinstalled (as in hotsync) after the error. Figured I would try again. I then turned off LauncherX and findhack (because instructions say turn off all hacks despite my understanding that 5.0 doesn't use hacks) and tried again. Same problem! At this point nothing was being reinstalled from hotsync, either. Fortunately, I had saved a copy of my Handspring folder on my PC in another location (I did a hotsync BEFORE I started the entire process and then saved a copy of the folder) so I figured that I could experiment a bit. I next decided to perform a hard rest and then try the install a third time. I did this but the install program tried to reintall all of the missing software before it performed the ROM upgrade so I aborted the reinstall. Finally, I had to do a hard rest again. Throw out the data folder inside of the Handspring folder (data folder contained my backup and data files). This time installer did not try to install old software because there was none there (no folder) and it did the upgrade fine. After upgrade was complete I copied back the orginal Handspring folder and did a hotsync. I had to repeat the hotsync three times before hotsync restored everything as it was supposed to do(including passwords, e.g., resource files). One other thing, I did have to delete the files that installer put on Treo after each upgrade attempt (look at files on the treo before install and then note differences or look inside install tool before you say OK to upgrade but after you started the upgrade process). Otherwise, installer assumed that install already took place. All in all, took me about an hour to get the whole thing done properly. Now the only benefits are that numbers work on Sprint PCS site and hopefully SMS will work when it comes out. Otherwise, haven't seen any differences. I do have a lot of Palm stuff on my device (e.g., Snappermail, Adgendus, Mobile Access, pdf reader, quickoffice, a number of games, filez, FindHack, ptunes, kinoma, etc.) and all seem to still work fine now (as they did before upgrade).

My suggestion, make a backup copy of Handspring folder before starting upgrade process and look inside install tool before clicking on last upgrade button to see what software installer is installing on your treo so you can delete it by hand if you need to).

Have fun.
    The updater worked exactly as described in the instructions. The only things I lost were AvantGo and Vindigo which the setup program had said would have to be reinstalled.
    Update is working fine for me.

Documents To Go caused a soft reset when trying to open a document after the update. I reinstalled the Documents To Go handheld applications and it cured the problem. All is well now.
    was Orange UK phone. Update went fine for me except:

I CANNOT answer calls that say 'No Caller ID'!!!

Its driving me nuts! Anyone else having this problem? Anyone know a solution?
    Originally posted by ekerbuddy
    was Orange UK phone. Update went fine for me except:

I CANNOT answer calls that say 'No Caller ID'!!!

Its driving me nuts! Anyone else having this problem? Anyone know a solution?
    The upgrade was only for Sprint PCS phones, how and why would you have installed it on an Orange phone?
    I am still trying to figure out what will happen if one does not update (aside from not getting SMS which does not interest me anyway).

Any hard facts on this?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast