1.    #1  
    Is anybody using kinoma on their treo 600? do you have any problems with it? what sd card do you use? does it freeze up or does it run smoothly?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    I use Kinoma all the time and it works flawlessly on my Treo600. I use Kinoma Producer to regularly convert videos formatted for the Treo600 and quality is very smooth and consistant. Also have a 512 MB card...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I use Kinoma all the time and it works flawlessly on my Treo600. I use Kinoma Producer to regularly convert videos formatted for the Treo600 and quality is very smooth and consistant. Also have a 512 MB card...
    great to hear that. so...a couple questions. your 512 card...is that a sandisk card or another brand? kinoma producer...is that a separate program, or is that the proper name of the program i was talking about? ie....do i need 2 kinoma programs? one for the handheld to play videos and one one the desktop (for more $) to convert files? can you convert regular commercial dvd movies with kinoma producer (ie, does it have some built in copyright protection stuff?....like sony's memory sticks have "magic gate")

thanks!
    I too use kinoma player all the time as well as kinoma producer to convert my files. you do not need to be aa techie to figure out kinoma producer although it takes a long time to convert the files. I would recommend converting files as you go to sleep or off to work so that they will be done by the time you get back.

In fact I just finished watching Die Another Day on my treo while on a flight yesterday. worked perfectly!
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by zoomjuice
    I too use kinoma player all the time as well as kinoma producer to convert my files. you do not need to be aa techie to figure out kinoma producer although it takes a long time to convert the files. I would recommend converting files as you go to sleep or off to work so that they will be done by the time you get back.

In fact I just finished watching Die Another Day on my treo while on a flight yesterday. worked perfectly!
    so...kinoma player and producer are 2 separate programs then. one for the desktop and one for the handheld. and to record the james bond movie...did you need any other program (besides "kinoma producer") to convert it to kinoma format? i have a program from 321studios which is supposed to let me rip and burn dvds..but never used it.

is kinoma producer alone enough to take a regular commercial dvd...like die another day....and convert it to kinoma format? or did you record it directly...tivo style...from tv?
    hey southbound,

to answer soe of your more recent questions, yes you need two different programs: one to play the files on your handheld and the other on your desktop to convert the files to be played on your handheld.

kinoma producer is the app to convert the files and kinoma player is the app to play them. you can download the player for free or you can download both of them bundled together for $29.99. you can't play video if it is not converted first, so you will most likely have to download the bundled version, but rest assured it is worth every penny. in my limited experience the freeware apps require a level of techyness that I just do not possess. Although having a mac I do not have the range of free app choices that PC owners do.

and in regard to the sd card, i have been using a sandisk 256 card and it has been trouble free. i couldn't be happier. furthermore, in a seperate post i just placed, circuit city is selling the sandisk 512mb sd card for 129.99 after rebates, which seems to be the best deal out there right now. here is the link to that thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...47241/s/h.html
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by zoomjuice
    hey southbound,

in regard to the sd card, i have been using a sandisk 256 card and it has been trouble free. i couldn't be happier. furthermore, in a seperate post i just placed, circuit city is selling the sandisk 512mb sd card for 129.99 after rebates, which seems to be the best deal out there right now. here is the link to that thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...47241/s/h.html
    i checked out the other thread...seems like a great deal. but i have heard some people have had problems with sandisk cards. you say you just got that new card. have you tried it yet? is that the one you were talking about?
    Yes, you would need a third program to convert a dvd. there are a number of different apps that will work and i am not certain about the one you have but i believe it will work. you would first need to convert the dvd to a compressed format such as divx, .avi, etc. then use kinoma producer to convert it for your treo. it sounds like a complete pain but it is rather painless.

as far as the sandisk card, i thoroughly scoured the forums for information to aid in my purchase of buying an SD card and saw some people who were having trouble with their sandisk cards but it seems that most users were pretty happy with their cards. Also, I was concerned that I might need a faster card such as the ultra II because I would be using it largely for mp3's and movies.

First of all, the price difference for the simpletech or the ultra II card was significant. Secondly, I have had no problems whatsoever with my 256mb sandisk card which i have had for 2 months nor my 512mb card (even though I only got it today i immediately loaded it up and have had no trouble) and thirdly, not only is the 129.99 the best price out there among all internet merchants for a 512mb card, remember that it is circuit city so if i have any trouble at all I can take it back. Unlike every other online merchant who does not have a brick and mortar store to return it to. WIN WIN!
    Well it seems like others have already answered most of your questions...but in any case there all correct. The Kinoma Producer Desktop app is very easy to use and already has preset settings to convert for the Treo600. But Kinoma Producer can only convert from certain format like zoomjuice mentioned. There are tons of free apps out there to rip dvd's just do a search...

Also on a side note. There is one negative regarding Kinoma and that I've found that converted files sometime are much larger than the original divx or mpg files. Thus another option you might consider is MMplayer that can play divx for example natively on PalmOS. Do a search for this as there have been tons of very useful threads on this topic. The disadvantage of MMplayer is that there is not simple desktop component to convert files to Treo format and you'll most probaby have to learn to use apps like VirtualDub etc. However the learning curve isn't that bad and I would recommend you try it out...

Finally, I have a Sandisk 512 MB card. I have it b/c it was dirt cheap when I bought it. It's is pretty slow according to the VFSmark results, but I haven't had any other problems with it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    this is interesting to me... I have been using MMPlayer, but cant get the hang of virtualdub I guess because everything I convert is out of sync! The audio never matches the video for the entire thing. It is enough to make me want to try out Kinoma. Have you guys ever had this problem?
    I want to make sure it will work before I throw down $30 for it! Thanks!
    can't speak for gfunk but i have never had a problem with kinoma. well worth the $30 for me, however, again i am using a mac so virtualdub is not an option.

all i can say is that kinoma is practically dummy proof.
    I also believe you can export Kinoma out of Final Cut Pro 4.

Does anyone know any addresses to type into the "Open URL" component of Kinoma Player. Or does anyone know of a way to stream video into the Treo 600?
    I'm in the market (again) for a sd card and I seem to remember that my old card was not even at half capacity on average. I had a 256 card, holding 4-5 mini video's lots of pics from the camera and a couple of songs on it.

My question is how much space are you using on your cards for video or total? I don't want to go and repurchase all that room if it's not really needed.

Please advise.

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I ripped a DVD, compressed, encoded, etc. to fit on my phone and the file is now about 72MB. The movie is an hour and 45 minutes long.

I bought a 512MB card so that I could just have an extra to put all kinds of movies, cd's, etc on. I use the 256MB card mostly for programs and my audible books. It's probably 3/4 full.
    For ripping a dvd onto your computer, you can use the first two sections from the guide I worked up in my signiture; just skip the third section on using virtualdub to shrink the avi. After the second section you'll have a fairly large base .avi which kinoma producer can work with.

Kinoma can stream video but it can only stream kinoma formatted video, which isn't very useful in my book as kinoma isn't that popular a format. But if you have some skill with setting up a server you could, in theory, have your desktop at home server files to your treo over the net with kinoma, which is something mmplayer can't do.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Everytime i try to watch videos through mobetube.com i only get audio..not video...anyone else having this problem? what is the fix? thanks