Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Can anyone who is using the InfoWave Symmetry Pro product tell me what their experience has been with MS Exchange/Outlook integration? I've been using Visto Message Express and it's been pretty poor...about half of the time I can't even connect, mail delivery is unreliable (messages are skipped), etc. I'm interested in the Symmetry Pro Workgroup edition as I can apparently support 10 of my users on one PC (this would be great as I have a couple of laptop users who can't always connect to our network). Also, what was the pricing on the workgroup product for your company?

Thanks for your help...

Roy
    I've been using the desktop version of Sym Pro for about 3 weeks now. works pretty well.

I am using the immediate message delivery option - it sends an SMS message to my hand held and then my handheld downloads the new messages.

overall I would say message delivery has been good. I miss fewer messages than I did with my Blackberry. Mostly the issue will be that as I am moving around I either don't get the SMS message immediately or I do and I can't get a GPRS connection going - but that's not all that often.

I've tried it with AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile (I have an AT&T Treo that I unlocked). I believe AT&T was a bit better about GPRS coverage - but I could be wrong. T-Mobile is far cheaper in any event.

To sum it up - I like Symmetry Pro - it does what I need it to do with sufficient reliability. They let you try it for 2 weeks as a trial, no restrictions, if you want to see how well it works for you.
    I'm a Beta tester for SEVEN, maker of Sprint's Business Connect solution. I'm using it on T-Mobile in conjunction with Exchange 5.5/Outlook XP.

It's just like BizConnect, which I've used for a year with my old Treo 300 and loved. There are a few shortcomings, mainly around calendaring, but overall, it's the best solution I've found after trying everything except Good (which is way too expensive).

SEVEN installs a piece of client software on your desktop PC in the office which bridges over to their service for real-time 2-way synchronization.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jpsf
    I've been using the desktop version of Sym Pro for about 3 weeks now. works pretty well.

I am using the immediate message delivery option - it sends an SMS message to my hand held and then my handheld downloads the new messages.

overall I would say message delivery has been good. I miss fewer messages than I did with my Blackberry. Mostly the issue will be that as I am moving around I either don't get the SMS message immediately or I do and I can't get a GPRS connection going - but that's not all that often.

I've tried it with AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile (I have an AT&T Treo that I unlocked). I believe AT&T was a bit better about GPRS coverage - but I could be wrong. T-Mobile is far cheaper in any event.

To sum it up - I like Symmetry Pro - it does what I need it to do with sufficient reliability. They let you try it for 2 weeks as a trial, no restrictions, if you want to see how well it works for you.
    Question: Are you using the Workgroup option, and if so, what's the price range? I'm looking for something that's inbetween the generally cheap individual versions and the outrageously expensive enterprise versions (like good.com).

Bigger question: You mentioned you unlocked your AT&T Treo. I have one that was returned by a former employee, now I would like to unlock it and use it with T-Mobile (our corporate plan). Any advice on this? Thanks!

Roy
    I've been using Visto with my Exchange server and have had some issues. Generally I like the service but it has not been totally reliable. I often don't get SMS messages that there's new mail. Sometimes I can't connect but it's not often enough to complain and sometimes it's clearly the GPRS service being unavailable. I'm using a Cingular Treo 600 in Los Angeles. I haven't heard of InfoWave Symmetry Pro, can you post their URL and I'll look into it?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    BTW, I just tried to install the Symmetry software and it says it's not compatible with Outlook 2002???? This doesn't make sense...it's 2004 now, how long has this software been out? Is anybody using this with Outlook 2002?
    I've been having good results with the trial version of BaseJet. I don't know if they have a workgroup solution, but as an individual solution it works better for me than Sympro, and is a lot cheaper.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have been reviewing Infowave's Symmetry.Pro and I can't find pricing information. I am looking to install the individual version on my desktop. How much for 1 license to the software?

Thanks
    Sym Pro individual is $12.95 a month. Worth it for me right now -
    Originally posted by mmiller683
    How much for 1 license to the software?
    $12.95 per month or $99.95 per year.
    Originally posted by Roymus
    BTW, I just tried to install the Symmetry software and it says it's not compatible with Outlook 2002???? This doesn't make sense...it's 2004 now, how long has this software been out? Is anybody using this with Outlook 2002?
    According to their website, it supports Outlook 2003. I can't imagine that it would support 2003 and not 2002. I am using Outlook 2003 and it works fine.

http://www.infowave.com/products/ind_s-pro-features.asp

edit: I did notice that their .PDF file on their website also indicates Outlook 98, 2000 or XP. They should probably include 2003 on that now.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I tried to install the Workgroup app and it refused to install when it found Outlook 2002 on the machine. I've got a call into their tech support. Apparently I'm not the only one who's having trouble finding basic pricing information, either. Is Infowave here to stay (i.e., viable)?
    Originally posted by Roymus
    I tried to install the Workgroup app and it refused to install when it found Outlook 2002 on the machine. I've got a call into their tech support. Apparently I'm not the only one who's having trouble finding basic pricing information, either. Is Infowave here to stay (i.e., viable)?
    I guess that's the distinction then. It must still be an issue in their workgroup edition.

I have to agree with you too. I was sure I had seen the pricing before but when I went back to their website, I couldn't find it. So I must have read it elsewhere originally. But they did e-mail me with those figures I mentioned earlier.
    I tried the Symmetry Pro Workgroup version and was not impressed.

I am (still) using Business Connection because for the minimal price, it does what it does pretty well. It's not what I ultimately want, but I can get by.

What attracted me to Sym Pro was the calendar synch - notably missing in Sprint Business Connection. Unfortunately, it only works ONE WAY - to the device. Items you enter must wait for a hotsynch to show, which makes it hard for a delegate to see when you have open times in your schedule.

I sent an email asking about the pricing for Symmetry Pro. You ready?

For the server, with 5 client license: $925

Annual maintenance, per client: $35

Annual "Access Fee": $24

So it's $925 up front, and $59/user recurring. No thanks. If they had good 5-way nav support, the ability to delete emails without reading them (like BC does) and TRUE calendar synch (I tend to think of it as ASymmetry Pro), then I *might* consider it.

Until then... I'll see what Sprint delivers with BC.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Ouch! No wonder they weren't advertising their pricing. I was expecting something in the $500-$700 range. For that price, I might was well purchase goodlink or visto enterprise. Plus, I'm not too pleased about the fact that I've been trying to talk to a human being from Sym Pro for 3 days and haven't been successful (you'd think that the salespeople at least would call!). Thanks for the info, and I think I'll take your advice and pass...

Roy