Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Can anyone tell me all the ways one can use Filez? I just downloaded the program and it seems good for deleting and beaming stuff... is there some other function that I am missing?
    What?
    It can edit all the files' attributes, like whether or not is is backed up, locked, etc.

Don't dismiss the power of deleting things. Because Filez sees all files it can delete preferences and stuff which is nice when you need to fix a problem with an app.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Hest
    Can anyone tell me all the ways one can use Filez? I just downloaded the program and it seems good for deleting and beaming stuff... is there some other function that I am missing?

Good point. Thanks.
    What?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    you can also use it to load files to the Treo that arnt normaly supported. Example:
    you have a video for mmplayer you want to load to the sd card. rename the video to an *.mp3, load to the card with hotsync, open filez and rename the file back to *.avi.

This and deleting orphan files are the main uses for filez.
    I also use it to fix some issues when running apps from my sd card that do not natively support running from the sd card.
    I can load the app on the treo, run the app to create database files etc. Then move the actual app.prc file to the SD card under palm/launcher, and then the app will run ok from the sd card. This does save space since the apps are usualy fairly large in comparison to the database files etc.
    ANother use is to use filez as a poor mans backup. I use it to grab all the file on the treo and copy to a folder I create on the SD card. THis is not as good as backupman or some of the other utils, but it does let me make quick backups of key database files on the fly so I can test changes etc.
    Anyone try both Filez and SuperUtility and have an opinion on which is better? Don't want two utility that do the same, but want one that's best.
    Originally posted by silky_green
    Anyone try both Filez and SuperUtility and have an opinion on which is better? Don't want two utility that do the same, but want one that's best.
    SuperUtility has a much nicer interface but pretty much the same features that Filez has or at least I only use features that are available in both.

One thing to consider is that Filez is free while SuperUtility is not. I'm sticking with Filez.
    I think you've overlooked the most useful Filez feature: you can edit the contents of a database file with the built-in hex editor. Select the filename, tap Menu and View or Edit. Not for the timid, and this does give you the power/ability to really goof things up, but very handy!