Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Vaja sent us an evaluation unit recently for review and I need a head check from all of you here. My opinion of this unit is not a good one - It offers very little protection especially for the screen and keyboard, the belt clip is of inexpensive quality, the clip button on back of the case cannot be removed - it must be ordered w/out if so desired, and the phone must be removed from the case in order to use the charging cradle - and these are just a few concerns. The price is extravagant, the shipping times are long and from reading about other people's experiences here it seems like thier customer support is virtually nonexistant.

The charter of Treo 600 Essentials is really to find the best products and solutions and provide information about why they are the best - we find what's essential! I do not want to become a place that hosts negative reviews about things people probably don't want anyway so instead of reviewing it I'm considering just sending it back to Vaja and letting them know why we feel it's an infereior product.

My concern is that my impression of Vaja and the I-Volution case does not reflect that of the general user community - so I'm asking for your feedback. Am I alone with my opinion?

Best,
    Derek @ Treo 600 Essentials
    Last edited by derek985; 01/28/2004 at 10:10 AM.
    I love my evolution case but I don't think it is for everyone.

As for the lack of protection of the keyboard/face - I think that there are two types of case users. The first want a lot of protection - either a flap or a clear plastic cover. The other wants accessibility - nothing in the way when they answer the phone. I suspect that depends on how frequently you get phone calls etc. Personally, I didn't want anything in the way when I answer the phone or check my calendar.

I didn't find the clip to be cheap. I am satisfied with it. Although it is not removable, that doesn't matter to me as I use it on my belt all the time anyway.

It is true that it won't sync in a cradle in the case - but I've found few that do. I have no problem with a sync cable.

Bottom line is that I think it is highly recommended but only for a subset of Treo users - but then I have yet to find a case that would appeal to everyone anyway.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    I don't own an ivolution case since I don't have my treo 600 yet (thanks T-mobile). But I had considered getting one once I do. However, I do agree with you that the price is just outrageous for this case. I understand that it's custom made and has all the color choices and everything, but that's still alot of $$$ for a phone case. So far that's my biggest reason against getting it.

As for the features/shortcomings you mentioned:
    Screen and keyboard protection are not necessarily the first things people are looking for when shopping for a case. In fact, I think that many cases that cover screens/keyboards detract from the functionality of the phone since you have to "open" them to use it. The i-volution case gives easy access to everything without getting in the way. It's mainly meant to protect the phone casing from scratches and offer slight protection if you drop it since the corners are covered. Also it's aesthetically pleasing. Personally I'm not at all interested in the belt clip so I can't comment on that. Plus I haven't seen it up close. Also I use a sync and charge cable (well, plan to use the one I'm currently using with my treo 180) so having it fit in a cradle isn't an issue either. I could definately understand how that would be a hassle if you're a cradle user, and agree you should include that in your review. And negative reviews ARE reviews too, so do include what you feel are any shortcomings of the products you report on.
    I am waiting for my I-Volution case, however, here are my 2 cents...

...cases (as any other accessory) are about personal preference. I don't think that you should "censor" your review because it might be different that the general user community. I had a Piel Frama case for about 6 weeks. Very nice case. But the flap was driving me crazy. I also found it a bit bulky (because of the flap). I upgraded to the Treo 600 from a Kyocera 6035. That phone had everything "exposed". I had it for 2 years with no problems. So the lack of protection to the screen and keyboard don't bother me. But I am sure it will be an issue with others. Expensive? Absolutely! But I had my Kyocera for 2 years and expect to have the Treo for about the same time. So I see it as a good investment. I can't comment on the clip yet and I only use the cradle at home.

Again, it is about personal preference. I think you should post your review with all your concerns.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    The I volution case is a stunner!

The clip is anything but cheap, in fact, I think the way it has a safety button to keep it from disengaging is brilliant. The metal stud on (actually "in" the case, will never come off - very secure. In fact, I had a necklace made to accomodate it, since I wear it around my neck sometimes (girl architects don't wear belts to work).

I have a Bando screen protecter, and throw my T600 in its IVo case right into my purse with the rest of the clutter - no problem.

If you are looking for a clunky case that impeeds any possible damage to the device (and, hence, your ability to use it readily) then, this case sucks. Otherwise, I think you're WAY OFF BASE.

BTW, I ordered a NUTSHELL case back in October and sent it back - It was plenty Clunky - maybe you'd like that. AND, NUTSHELL's CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS THE BEST! so there you have it. Apparently, it is STYLE OR SERVICE.
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    I ordered mine December 20 and still haven't gotten mine. Anyone else order it that long ago without getting theirs?
    hi Derek, thanks for the very useful info on the website. Anyway, I've ordered a vaja I-vol case as I think it will service my needs best of all the cases I've looked at ie ;
    - keeps the phone slim looking, all the other cases add so much bulk
    - screen protection for me is not an issue as I always use a screen protector
    - I never wear a phone on my belt so the clip question is an irrelevance, in my view it's great that vaja offer a version w/o a stupid 1/2 inch clip attachment sticking out
    - it's expensive undoubtedly but so are the other leather cases, see Piel Frama etc
    - the other cases I've tried eg HS form fit, Krusel are unusable with the stylus
    - it looks good and doesn't detract too much from the treo's good looks
    I also ordered mine in late December and have not yet seen it. I do have their 797 Treo 600 leather case and absolutely love it, very high quality.
    Got mine 2 weeks ago, looks very nice . i bought it primary for carrying the treo, it slip in and out from the case easely.

I love the case

Marc-Andre
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Architect
    The I volution case is a stunner!
    I've been stunned alright - with the astronimical price, underwhelming features, and "when-they-get-around-to-it" style customer support.

The color combinations are pretty though.

Keep in mind that as a reviewer - I have to paint a complete picture of the types of variables people are considering before purchase - and things like protection, customer support, and price are all part of that picture.

D.
    no offence but it doesn't sound to me like you'd be able to write a subjective, unbiased review bearing in mind your previous comments !!! People know the price when they're buying it and thus have obviously made a judgement that in their view - which after all is the only view that matters when you consider it's them who are splashing the cash - it's worth the money.
  12. sda
    Originally posted by derek985

I've been stunned alright - with the astronimical price, underwhelming features, and "when-they-get-around-to-it" style customer support.

The color combinations are pretty though.

Keep in mind that as a reviewer - I have to paint a complete picture of the types of variables people are considering before purchase - and things like protection, customer support, and price are all part of that picture.

D.
    Please don't write a negative review just because this case doesn't meet your individual standards. People look for different things in cases. I, for one, am not looking for screen or keyboard protection and find those cases of no use to me. That doesn't make those other cases bad products, just not fit for my purposes. For example, the Piel Frama case seems to be a fantastic product (fit, finish, quality, price), but I can't stand the use of flap cases. That doesn't make the case bad, just not for me.

The i-volution case is prohibitively expensive, but does match all the other attributes I value. It is attractive, has a nice fit, is not too bulky, and provides adequate protection from the occasional bumps and bruises. It allows easy access for the charger and hotsync cable and like ALL other cases, must be removed before putting the device on the cradle. I have sent one email to their support organization and received a prompt response, so I have no complaints about that either. Overall, I think that the quality and value of the case is consistent with others, save for the rather high price. Since everyone has their own price threshold, I think that even though it should be a consideration, it must still be left to the buyer to decide if it's worth the money.

I hope you take these comments into serious consideration and perform a balanced report on this particular product.
    To those of you who are waiting:

I'd check with the company. Mine was ordered the first week of January and arrived in ten days - and it was a custom order.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
  14.    #14  
    You know what?

I've spent a lot of time and money on this site for the benefit of the Treo community. I'm tired of this. I ask for some constructive collaboration and I get personal attacks.

In fact, I'm so tired of it I've decided to close Treo 600 Essentials.

Goodbye. Go kick someone else around.
    wow i just dont understand ?????
  16. sda
    I hope my comments weren't taken negatively. I just wanted to say that people look for different things in cases, and that what's negative to one person might not be to someone else. It certainly wasn't an attack. I also think it commendable that you asked the community for additional input before writing the report (to see if indeed you are the only one that felt a particular way). I applaud what you're doing and hope you keep it up.
    You know what?

I've spent a lot of time and money on this site for the benefit of the Treo community. I'm tired of this. I ask for some constructive collaboration and I get personal attacks.

In fact, I'm so tired of it I've decided to close Treo 600 Essentials.

Goodbye. Go kick someone else around.
    That's a damn shame. I got so many benefits from Treo Essentials since you opened it. But if you are not enjoying it anymore, it's best to close it down, I hope just temporarily though.

You should know by now (or beforehand) that this is a forum that could get nasty anytime and most of the time. Forums are usually made up of chronic complainers and idiots, perfectionists, and a few sensible people and all of them don't really care what you or others think. This is an open discussion forum, so anything goes. There are times when I see too many negative posters that I just take a few days or a week to stay away from TreoCenetral. I've said some nasty comments myself and I didn't gave a cr@p how others responded to them. For now I just monitor the discussions to see if I can help the newbies or others that went through the same problems that I have resolved myself

FWIW, like any other forums, there are more people (lurkers) out there that visit these threads that are very nice and quite happy with their Treo and your Treo Essentials and you will never hear from them. And these people outnumber the idiots anytime!

I hope you would reconsider your decision sometime after taking a much needed break. Go Skiing or something.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    It sounds like someone needs thicker skin. No one, as far as I could tell, was being snarky; you're just taking honest criticism badly.

The internet is a big place, and if you don't want to be a part of it, then that's your choice.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by bshort
    It sounds like someone needs thicker skin. No one, as far as I could tell, was being snarky; you're just taking honest criticism badly.

The internet is a big place, and if you don't want to be a part of it, then that's your choice.
    Simply amazing. It just keeps getting better. I was wondering just how long it would take before one of your types of responses came up...

This little incident just happened to be the last straw - please give me a bit more credit by not being foolish enough to think that this was the only reason for my decision.

Some people on this board remind me of the folks on American Idol who sing so badly peoples ears bleed. When they're told they have a terrible voice - they simply can't believe it's true - they're suffering from denial.

If you truly believe that every response above was polite and constructive then maybe you should consider trying out for Idol.

Simply amazing. It just keeps getting better. I was wondering just how long it would take before one of your types of responses came up...

This little incident just happened to be the last straw - please give me a bit more credit by not being foolish enough to think that this was the only reason for my decision.

Some people on this board remind me of the folks on American Idol who sing so badly peoples ears bleed. When they're told they have a terrible voice - they simply can't believe it's true - they're suffering from denial.

If you truly believe that every response above was polite and constructive then maybe you should consider trying out for Idol.
    Who was being snarky?

Care to give an example?

Or would you just rather wail for attention?

Seriously dude, learn to let things go. You'll be much happier if you do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast