View Poll Results: How many Treo 600 replacements have you had?

Voters
378. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero - Still using my first one

210 55.56%
  • One

98 25.93%
  • Two

40 10.58%
  • Three or more

30 7.94%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well number two lasted from 1/29 to 2/18. Went stone cold dead. No life no nothing. Charged it for 2 hours still wouldn't lite up. Thank God for the Best Buy warranty. Number 3 is running fine, rev C 1-17-2004 build date.
    Although Sprint took three freaking hours to activate it.

Hope this one last awhile. The guys at BB are getting to know my name.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    A 45% replacement rate?????

Yikes!!!!

No wonder they are in short supply. Nearly half of them are going to people who already purchased one and need a replacement. I guess it solves that "they are hard to obtain" mystery.

Goodness gracious. I'm shocked. I don't believe i've every seen a product failure rate that high in my life.

I'm glad they are good about replacing them ... but this simply cannot be very profitable for the company.

What is going on?
    Originally posted by GoodNamesRTaken
    What is going on?
    It's a handspring product, that's what's going on.

Maybe this sounds like trolling, but I speak from painful experience, having owned every handspring product ever made save 2 that don't count( Treo 300, had the 180 and 270; and Visor Platinum, I had a Pro, though.). Do a search for the Visor Edge and its quality control problems.

It's not usually bad design (though the hinge on the 1st gen treos is easily breakable), it's just bad quality control. So much crap gets through QC it makes my head spin. The only good news is that once you get past that dicey 6 month range, you can be pretty confident in the device. When they die, it's usually within warranty.
    Hmmm .... lets see, I've had 4 Handspring products over the course of as many years:

1. Visor Deluxe
    - replaced once for cracking around springboard slot (cosmetic)

2. Visor Pro
    - never replaced

3. Visor Platinum
    - never replaced

4. Treo 270
    - never replaced

Of course, I treat them somewhat carefully. The visors were usually in cases in my pocket, although the last one was used with the visor phone so it hung on my belt. The treo has always been in a case on my belt.

I suspect people are either very unlucky or slightly rougher with their electronics than I am. I tend to treat the visors/treos more like laptops and less like nokia $0 phones.
    "I suspect people are either very unlucky or slightly rougher with their electronics than I am. I tend to treat the visors/treos more like laptops and less like nokia $0 phones."

I baby mine too. Almost too a fault. People often say "If you have to treat it like that, it can't be that convenient".

I won't use it after eating an In-n-Out burger until I can wash my hands. I take it off my belt and hold it in my hand when I get on the bus or subway so that nobody will brush up against it. I won't take it to the beach. I have it in the form fitted case and can thus almost never use the sylus. I won't use it out of the case lest the oils from my hand get on the case.

Sometimes babying it so much does reduce usability a bit.

But after reading about the 45%+ failure rates, i'm beginning to think that maybe I should carry it in a Titanium Laptop Case.
    well... i'm not that bad

I do take my visor/treo nearly everywhere. They have been overseas, to the beach, skiing etc. It is usually protected by a case and screen protectors, but I use the stylus just as musch as is needed.

In short, I'm careful but the visor/treo is part of my everyday life. They have been jarred, bumped, and jostled, but I try to avoid it.
    I just started using my 3rd Treo 600, so I should qualify to post on this thread. My first two Treo's had voice-quality problems, as I've posted about and discussed *ad nauseum* on two other threads But luckily, this new (Sprint) Treo 600 is the first one I've owned, with a phone that works great -- whether on handset, speakerphone, or headset!

My first Treo was a survivor, even though it had voice quality problems. Last December, I had it on my belt in a makeshift (not-so-good) case. I climbed up to the top of a 12' slide at the children's park to help my daughter get started down the slide. Right as she started down the slide, I felt the Treo slip off my belt and heard it hit the pavement hard, 12' below. I went down and picked it up, and it still worked! Just a little "antenna scratch". The I firmly secured it to my belt, so that wouldn't happen again. She wanted to go down the slide again, so back up the ladder we went. You guessed it - the Treo hurtles 12' to the pavement below *again*. IT STILL WORKED! Hard impact both times.

Now, I use the Nutshell leather belt case. They have an overly-tight belt clip, which is perfect A mugger couldn't get that thing off!
    Last edited by sbell22; 02/19/2004 at 01:47 PM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    My new Sprint Treo 600 is waiting for me at home as I type, and I hope I won't have to replace it. I should have replaced my T-Mobile Treo 270, which always had an extremely balky phone (couldn't get back on the network when it wandered out of range, or if it just sat for a while, and would freeze up frequently, requiring soft resets to make or receive calls). But I wasn't a very heavy phone user and just put it off until it was too late and it was out of warranty. Better luck this time, let's hope!
    Yes, having a Treo while having young children presents an extra special challenge.

Don't you just love in when you carry them, and they kick the shiznit out of it when it is hanging off your belt?

It's like they know exactly where it is, and start kicking your sides like they are riding a horse.

And the playground. Oh, the playground. Fuhgetabboutit.

Every time you move some little snot-monger runs directly into the side of you, chucks a rock at you, or you whack the heck out of the device while navigating those tine little playground habitrail things (I'm 6'2" and have little room to spare).

They really, really need to make a case for those of us with children. Preferably a titanium/bullter proof kevlar/5" space age foam padding combination type of thing.
    Yes, it's true they don't mix. I keep mine in my pocket rather than on a belt clip, but anytime I left it out, my 2-year-old daughter loved to play with it. I'm amazed she never broke the flip, given how flimsy it is. I'm thrilled the 600 doesn't have a flip.
    First one crapped out with "network Search" after 122 days of usage. The next one (refurbed)lasted exactly three days. It seems that even though it was in a heavy leather case that totally enveloped it, it didn't care for the 3 foot drop onto the parking lot. Good thing it was in the case - didn't get a scratch on the outside. However, the display wound up with some nasty vertical red lines and would fade in and out. So off I go to the Sprint store to get it replaced.

To my surprise the manager says" Gee Sir, I'm sorry you're having such bad luck with this phone. I don't want you to wait for another to get shipped out so I'm going to give you a NEW ONE FROM STOCK!!" Couldn't believe it. In and out with a fully funtional, provisioned NEW phone in ten minutes flat.
    Two minuts later I'm fully restored (Thanks to BackUpMan!).

Hopefully, the third times the charm!
    Waiting for my first replacement ordered today. See my post at http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t48787/s.html Subject: A very sick T600. Hit by the constant "Network Search" problem while making a call.
    All this colloquial commentary is useless if we are to understand the extent of the problem with these products. May I suggest that you enter your responses on the survey form. Otherwise this is just more fluff reading without real information.

I was in a Sprint store today replacing my third 300. I asked about the 600 from a service standpoint and the tech rolled his eyes and pointed to his head (which was bald). He said, and I quote, " I had a full head of hair before the Treo 600 arrived".

He said they have had so many replacements on the T600 due to defects that inventories have run dry. He said the product has the worst defect record of any phone on the market (Hybrid or otherwise). He cited one customer that had gone through 5 600's to get one that worked.

I have been totally amazed at how tolerant this community is to the serious problems of Handspring products. They shipped products with massive defects, and yet it seems this group accepts this as the norm. It's bizarre. Nevertheless it would be helpful to get some numeric index of returns to guage this.
    Originally posted by prospero
    All this colloquial commentary is useless if we are to understand the extent of the problem with these products. May I suggest that you enter your responses on the survey form. Otherwise this is just more fluff reading without real information.

I was in a Sprint store today replacing my third 300. I asked about the 600 from a service standpoint and the tech rolled his eyes and pointed to his head (which was bald). He said, and I quote, " I had a full head of hair before the Treo 600 arrived".

He said they have had so many replacements on the T600 due to defects that inventories have run dry. He said the product has the worst defect record of any phone on the market (Hybrid or otherwise). He cited one customer that had gone through 5 600's to get one that worked.

I have been totally amazed at how tolerant this community is to the serious problems of Handspring products. They shipped products with massive defects, and yet it seems this group accepts this as the norm. It's bizarre. Nevertheless it would be helpful to get some numeric index of returns to guage this.
    I'd be intereted in the numbers as well, but judging by my own experience I'm not surprised at all.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I had 3 speakers went out and all... switched to a vm4500 and am a lot more happy.
    Originally posted by blondegoalie
    switched to a vm4500 and am a lot more happy.
    hey me too
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Just because we are discussing the reliability of the phone doesn't mean that we haven't registered a vote (I know I did).

If nobody commented, your thread would drop off the radar.
  18. GTI
    In another thread on Treo speakers, sbell22 said:

GTI, this one is a "PalmOne" branded phone. The other two were not.

The screen has a slight bluish tint. But that could be contrast, I haven't adjusted it yet

Steve, could you comment on whether the box for your new palmOne Treo 600 showed the palmOne logo on the picture, or any other identifying marks? In checking at CompUSA who have some rebates this week, all their phone showed the Handspring logo on the phone picture (and the phones inside).

Also, as you use the phone and since you have had two other Handspring units, could you comment on any other changes in the palmOne unit?

Perhaps this discussion would be best on the thread:
    "Treo 600 says PalmOne on the Front"
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/t...20&pagenumber=2

Thanks
    My SD card started having problems ejecting. I was able to get it out at Best Buy. They did see that the unit was having problems and replaced it (Two replacement is the way to go . . . )
    I had voted previously with "None", but am awaiting replacement for the buzzing problem which went from intermittent to almost always. Since I hade voted previously, the poll looks like it won't accept my new vote.

If the system only lets you vote once, then the % who have replaced their phones may be understated. Of course, those who have never had to replace theirs my be less likely to vote in the poll, but it would still be interesting to see if the percentage has gone up.

My replacement was ordered on May 18 through Palm One, with an estimated ship date of May 24. The service rep said this was an advanced replacement, and that this was the best they could do. It has since been changed to May 28, and on May 28th it was changed to June 3.

What are others experiencing?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast