Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The Blazer problem has manifested itself in other forums and I wanted to start a thread so that everyone is clear on what is going on.

Blazer is NOT broken for Sprint users. As most of you know, Sprint is in the middle of a huge network upgrade and for some reason, the connectivity that blazer uses is working sporadically, if at all.

In addition, people have complained that Vision Picture service is broken or has been broken by the update. My contention is that Picture sharing depends on Blazer and a good network, and the network is spotty right now.

I have found an interim solution that works on all sites except Vision home pages and such. Why you need to look at Vision pages when there are better news and entertainment sites is beyond me, but there you have it.

To "FIX" blazer- go to http://free-proxies.com find an IP address near the top of the list and take note of the IP address and port. Go into Blazer > Options > Preferences > Advanced > Set Proxy and key in the IP address and port that you noted.

Try to surf Blazer now and it should work...

NOTE: long-term it is probably better to use the Sprint servers, so periodically I just uncheck the proxy setting (THE ADDRESS IS SAVED ANYWAY) and try to browse as original. I am guessing that the network upgrades will be having hiccups through mid-to-late February (just an educated guess) and so this will serve to keep you connected until then.

Many of us are performing the 1.1 update and I want to be clear that this is not breaking Blazer or the other programs and services that depend upon it.

Philip
    Last edited by phildro; 01/27/2004 at 09:59 PM.
    Worked great thanks....

Sprint needs to get their proxies together. I did think the 600 didn't use proxies. I guess I was wrong.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thanks, it worked fine, I took the top one on the list and *poof* it worked.

Steve
    Originally posted by richlee91
    Worked great thanks....

Sprint needs to get their proxies together. I did think the 600 didn't use proxies. I guess I was wrong.
    Blazer 3 doesn't use a proxy to preprocess pages like Blazer 2 does, but it still can use a regular HTTP proxy like any other browser.

It appears that if you don't set a proxy in Blazer, Sprint sends the traffic through one of their proxies. It's not clear what exactly the Sprint proxies do.
    Thank you for saving me the call to the Sprint PCS crack staff
    this reminds me of the days when vision just rolled out...

they had to give everyone a free three months, that way you could not complain about the service not working because you weren't paying for it.

I sure the PCS support people are just loaded with calls right now of vision services not working.

digidep
    Welcome to the oxymoron thread.

Not working != broken
    Free == pay

I mean, seriously -- you have to wonder about a site called "free-whatever," when their whole point is to sell you a better version of their free products.

Okay, okay -- I'm just poking fun at the subject. However...

Let's not make any mistake here -- Blazer is junk right now. It may get better, sure, but right now it sucks. This proxy workaround will get you back online, or you could use Xiino, but the Blazer? She is broken.

(Yes, I hope Blazer recovers, too. Xiino is okay, but Blazer is better ...when it works. What I really want is a freakin' whole new browser, but even though I believe we will get a better browser for the Treo eventually, I certainly won't be holding my breath for it.)
    About an hour and a half ago Sprint provisioned my Treo again and Blazer is much faster than it ever was. I've had intermittent problems for the past week, but now I am cooking with gas.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Free == pay
    I assume you are talking about free-proxies? If you go to the home page, there is a long list of FREE proxies that work just fine.

If, for some very odd reason, you would like to pay money and get yourself a lower-latency proxy you can, but that is not necessary.

I created the thread to help those who don't have a handle on the problem, some of which are spending meaningless hours on the phone with support, and others who are trying to get a replacement phone that won't be any better.

Finally, this has taught all of us that indeed Sprint seems to be using a proxy, contrary to previous thinking.

Free=Free
    Blazer=fine
    Sprint Proxy currently=up AND down
    Clicked on the link for the proxies.......it does not work....Any suggestions?

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    http://free-proxies.com/

Just worked for me...not from Blazer obviously!

Here is a snip from the top of the list

200.171.1.111 3128 2096 ms No 01/27 17:27
    212.0.138.6 80 2107 ms No 01/27 17:01
    200.149.0.131 3128 2109 ms No 01/27 12:57
    213.77.149.2 3128 2138 ms No 01/27 09:12
    212.165.147.237 3128 2145 ms No 01/27 17:08

Port number is after the IP- some are 80, some are 3128...both seem to work.

I am in NYC as well-- tried w/o proxy and didn't work. Perhaps the microconductivity of the snowflakes in your area are at higher concentrations than mine.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The link had a comma in it...all is well now
    I tried a few of the proxies. Still didn't work. It was working this morning after the update though. This has happened before where blazer would not work for a few hours (email & SMS works). I'm still attributing this to the network upgrades Sprint is doing for the SMS rollout. I can wait.........................
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Originally posted by phildro

I assume you are talking about free-proxies? If you go to the home page, there is a long list of FREE proxies that work just fine.

If, for some very odd reason, you would like to pay money and get yourself a lower-latency proxy you can, but that is not necessary.

I created the thread to help those who don't have a handle on the problem, some of which are spending meaningless hours on the phone with support, and others who are trying to get a replacement phone that won't be any better.

Finally, this has taught all of us that indeed Sprint seems to be using a proxy, contrary to previous thinking.

Free=Free
    Blazer=fine
    Sprint Proxy currently=up AND down
    I wanted to thank you for your suggestion.

I knew what the problem was, and I knew that calling sprint wouldn't solve the problem with blazer. What I didn't realize was that using a free proxy would solve the problem (in the short term). I thought that I would just have to ride this out. Not only did you identify the situation but you also provided a list of free proxies for us to use... what more could someone ask for.
    Originally posted by phildro
    I created the thread to help those who don't have a handle on the problem.
    Yeah, that's cool. I apologize for mucking up your thread.

Your free-proxies.com solution is groovy and definitely gets Blazer back on it's feet.
    Last edited by snerdy; 01/27/2004 at 11:47 PM.
    Blazer is working fine for me.

Then again we haven't gotten the SMS update yet here in Cali.
    Phildro,

Thanks for the URL correction. Vision is up and running but I will "favorite" that site ......just in case!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Worked for me too in NYC.
    Post-"upgrade" (hmm...there's gotta be a better word for it) I did the free proxy server thing (thanks!) and that worked okay, but it was slow, and a number of my typical sites weren't working.

I bit the bullet, called sprint wireless web support, waited 18 minutes (headset, took out the trash, etc.) and spoke to someone who walked me through unlocking the network settings, swapping the primary and secondary HA settings, adding an HA password (which was blank, for some reason) and then connecting. It said "connecting to Sprint Provisioning" and then completed.

Blazer is now *****ingly fast (faster than I've seen it) and no problems with any of the sites.
    This has to be one of the coolest, most useful posts. Thanks!

---EDIT---

Wait a sec... They want $18.95 a month to offer a proxy list with decent latency?

The free links on the site have (AT BEST) a latency of 2316 ms!

I did a Google and came up with these lower latency free proxies... http://www.openproxies.com/

(from the first page)

IP Address Port Latency Anon Last Checked (PST)
    64.1.38.133 80 339 ms No 01/29 05:27
    148.245.163.35 3128 344 ms No 01/29 04:56
    64.1.38.131 80 346 ms No 01/29 05:42
    66.250.68.40 8080 349 ms No 01/29 06:13
    216.46.129.160 80 350 ms No 01/29 04:42
    148.244.153.33 8080 355 ms No 01/29 05:04
    64.1.39.201 80 357 ms No 01/29 04:31
    148.245.163.193 3128 358 ms No 01/29 05:50
    216.8.87.9 3128 360 ms No 01/29 06:10
    148.223.217.3 3128 369 ms No 01/29 00:45
    Last edited by gamedeveloper; 01/29/2004 at 08:23 AM.
    "I see dead pixels..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast