Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok so I'm a geek, I know but I have a few simple questions:

I live in Holland and use texting (SMS) very often (up to 20 a day, its very widely used here in Europe) and actually do my messages in Dutch mostly, the treo has a built in pre-emptive function, (auto-complete or T9 dictionary (as it used to be called on nokia and ericsson phones)

typing 'wel' becomes 'we'll' when you move along or type a space, this is great if your typing english but 'wel' is a very common word in dutch and I can't switch this function of or modify it (at least thats my question) I have tried various things and the only work-around is to make a 'quick-text' entry in SMS, that you can insert...

this works ok but is still a nuisance, interestingly if the quick text is only this word 'wel' then it is overridden by the 'we'll' text anyway when i carry on typing, so I have to make a short sentence with other words around it: i.e. 'alles wel? ik...'
    (meaning 'all well? I'm..') and then finish the message off...this fools it but I would love to know if there is a way to modify or switch of the pre-emptive function,

you used to be able to specify a language to use in T9 on nokia phones, but I type very quickly and don't need this helping hand at all, the nokia one used to make very bad guesses anyway..

so I would love to disable it, any ideas folks?

hansdspring please consider this modification for later versions, I am english but there are a great many users out there who don't need built-in aids that are 'english specific'

the best way is to make it an 'option' you can switch off, as most people will discover after SMSing for a while you get very quick and this then becomes a handicap...

oh yeah while I'm here perhaps you could try and center the screens in future too, mine is off-centre left and this is annoying once you notice it, disappointing for such an expensive hi-tech gadget

last question: anybody know what the little 'reset'-like hole is on the bottom of the Treo, opposite the headset hole? didnt notice untill i bought a case that had a hole in it in the same place, is it a secret enable button that finally allows bluetooth functionality and makes the hidden camera flash start working?

I just pressed it with a pin and I was right, I now have bluetooth and a flash! great...anyone else?
    <<< insert witty comment here >>>
    oh yeah while I'm here perhaps you could try and center the screens in future too, mine is off-centre left and this is annoying once you notice it, disappointing for such an expensive hi-tech gadget
    This has been discussed many times:
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=9314

last question: anybody know what the little 'reset'-like hole is on the bottom of the Treo, opposite the headset hole? didnt notice untill i bought a case that had a hole in it in the same place, is it a secret enable button that finally allows bluetooth functionality and makes the hidden camera flash start working?
    It's the mic.

Sorry i don't know how to turn off the auto-correct (to use M$ terminology).
  3.    #3  
    This has been discussed many times:
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=9314

thanks

>It's the mic.

thanks (I'll stop trying to activate bluetooth now)

>Sorry i don't know how to turn off the auto-correct (to use M$ terminology).

ok thanks, shame it was the only serious question I had...oh well
    Originally posted by martinp
    ok so I'm a geek, I know but I have a few simple questions:
    A geek? Naw gawd bless you!!

The Treo isnt perfect, so rather than being negative about these issues perhaps its better to be positive and regard them as 'quirks'

Regards
    delete unwitty signature
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by walrab

so rather than being negative about these issues perhaps its better to be positive and regard them as 'quirks'

Regards
    quirks? girlfriends have quirks not expensive gadgets that take up too much of my time...not sure i was being negative even, the SMS issue is a point I havent seen mentionned before and seems to me logical to ask, perhaps you could be really 'positive' too and provide an answer?
    My Treo doesn't have predictive text...it sure would be nice though
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    Can be easily solved by using Quickwrite.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    what's the built-in app that martinp mentioned?
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    what's the built-in app that martinp mentioned?
    I verified this "problem" just using the built-in SMS application on my Cingular GSM 600 (go into the body and type wel followed by a space...it will convert it to we'll just like he said!). I also tested using the built-in email program.

This is normally one of the first things I DISABLE on M$ Word so I can definitely understand martinp's frustration!
  10.    #10  
    the built in app is just the SMS app
    it has a 'pre-emptive' text function

for example:

type 'wel' in the body of an SMS message then press space bar, it turns into 'we'll'
    because it assumes thats what you are going to type...(a short cut)

that's what i mean

it's a handy idea but should be an optional thing you can disable

IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I use TextPlus from www.smartcell.com It worked for me through the various palm PDAs including the Treo 600.
    Last edited by Tiger Beer; 05/23/2004 at 09:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I did not think that I had the text shortcuts, until I tried the wel, thing. I see what you mean, and as far as I could tell there was no option to disable it. I think that was very nearsighted of the devolepers to do.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    martinp -

Maybe you should try TextPlus from SmartCell as mentioned in this thread, but download the Dutch dictionary from thier site. Not sure if it will work, but you will have a 30 day trial to test it out. It may override the built in predictive text.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    One method:
    1. Type wel then space, which turns it into we'll
    2. Press backspace two times then space and it will turn back into wel

Hope that helped
    I just gave that solution to someone else in another thread.
    Funny that Treo doesn't have an option to disable T9 (all other phones that use it does).

Hey there are a lot of Dutch members here
    Greetings from St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
    Suddenly I don't feel so special anymore of being a 'Caribbean' member
    It's a small world....
  16.    #16  
    wow my old post has suddenly come back to life
    new solutions great...

thanks for the smartcell solution I'll have a go and see
    if it overrides the system

as for the typing back space solution, that's what i
    always do or rather have to do, but that's my point
    its a pain in the a*** because it slows me down

nice avatar by the way jo jo
    I find it very irritating as well.
    In Norwegian, we use the word "i" all the time, and the Treo of course always changes it ("corrects it") to a capital "I".

I had the same problem with my Tungsten W, but via the W forums @ brighthand I received a small hack from someone, that gave me full control over the auto-correct feature. I could add words, or I could completely disable the whole thing.
    The hack was an early beta, but it worked great.
    Unfortunately I'm not able to find it neither on my PC or on my Brighthand account (my account was no longer valid, probably because I haven't used it for 8 months), 'cause I would really like to try it on my Treo to see if it somehow was compatible.

But it should most definately be possible for the right programmer to fix something!

I'll keep looking for the hack, and I'll let you know if I find it!

/Christopher
  18.    #18  
    christopher

thanks for the reply, that hack sounds good I'd be
    interested if you find anything, do you know when the
    messages were posted on brighthand forums?
    surely i could search the forums without being a member?
    if you remember any part of the title or whatever let me know
    then I'll do a search on the net

once again, thanks for your post, I was convinced this
    thread was history but finally it looks like i may get
    a solution after all

regards

martin

p.s. is that where you live on the avatar? wow!
    Last edited by martinp; 05/24/2004 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by walrab
    delete unwitty signature
    hey I just read back and noticed that, it's the first
    time someone actually did insert ond and
    you know... I like that!

walrab you win...er nothing really

martin
    Quote Originally Posted by martinp
    thanks for the reply, that hack sounds good I'd be
    interested if you find anything, do you know when the
    messages were posted on brighthand forums?
    surely i could search the forums without being a member?
    if you remember any part of the title or whatever let me know
    then I'll do a search on the net
    Problem is, I'm pretty sure the author of the hack pm'ed me on the Brighthand forums (no email), and since my account has been shut down I'm not able to log in and read the PM's.
    But feel free to search at brighthand.com (the forums, the tungsten w forum), this must have been late summer 03 and my user name is (was)grenness.

I will search through my email inbox again just to make sure it's not there.

And IF we should find it, keep in mind that the W is OS 4, so I doubt that it would work without further modifications.

/Christopher

PS. My avatar shows one of the many "fjords" of my country, but unfortunately I live in a pretty ordinary suburb outside the capital Oslo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast