Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by BertEEbklyn

I'm in NYC also and just did the update, but still can't send out SMS.
    I'm in NYC (Manhattan) could send & receive SMS before the update (did it yesterday for the first time) and can do it now, after the update.
    Originally posted by Fittske

The instructions tell you that you need to change you "contacts" conduit to somthin other than "do nothing." If you leave it on "do nothing" then it will not sync your contacts from you phone to your desktop.

The update worked for me! I followed the directions and it worked like a charm!

Good luck to all!
    Oh well. It was my fault since I didn't back up the data on my handheld on either Yahoo or Palm Desktop. I certainly learned my lesson.

But the data I lost wasn't critical.

Most importantly, I still have the number of the chick I'm going out with on Saturday, so I guess it's not so bad.
    1) Backup unit to sd card (backup buddy app used)
    2) do a hard reset
    3) load updater 1.10
    4) restore device from sd card
    5) hot sync ( make sure handheld overrights desktop is selected for system under custom in hot sync)

15-20 minutes at the most

no problems software version is now 1.10, all apps and prefrences restored and working fine
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/28/2004 at 12:12 AM.
    I'm assuming this wasn't there before because I see people asking all the time where to find a silent ringer, but in my sound preferences, I now have an option to turn the sound off. I can't use the volume buttons on the side to change it to this, but it works if i go to my preferences.

I only noticed this after the update, but maybe installing Lightwav might have done it.
    Charged to 100%
    Hard Reset
    build a test hotsync ID
    sync'd
    reset
    ran the update
    Hard Reset
    Restored data with BackupMan --- Pays for itself...

I think the cleaner the better
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
    Originally posted by jhoff80
    I'm assuming this wasn't there before because I see people asking all the time where to find a silent ringer, but in my sound preferences, I now have an option to turn the sound off. I can't use the volume buttons on the side to change it to this, but it works if i go to my preferences.

I only noticed this after the update, but maybe installing Lightwav might have done it.
    Actually, I just noticed a FEW changes to this...I now have an OFF option for volumes...and when you choose one, it actually plays it at that volume so you can hear what that level sounds like...then I noticed that there is a new category for Mail notifications. I'm definitely not getting resets...Overall, it's a GREAT update! I also should point out that I've had many palm devices in the past, and it has never been so easy as now to reinstall all of my stuff to it. When I had a IIIx I used to have to reinstall everything and even then, all my prefs would be gone...this device, I just resync my empty device, and EVERYTHING goes to it, prefs and all!! So the update actually took under 10 minutes for me. I just synced...created a new temp profile and hard resetted my device, installed the update, then deleted the temp profile, and re-hard resetted my device, and then used my old profile to sync again. All said and done it was painless and not time consuming at all!
    I had this same exact problem of looping resets.

Found that I didn't quite have 4meg of memory remaining, so removed a file to achieve this. Then reran the updater, but still ended up with the same looping resets. Finally, remembering this happening with another PDA, I removed Launcher X from the backup folder, did a hard reset, reran the updater and everything ran correctly. Once I got it to complete, I then reinstalled Launcher X with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by NCTreo600
    No idea how this worked. I tried unsuccessfully twice. Each time my T600 would loop into system crash, reset, system crash, reset, system crash, reset...etc etc etc. I finally said F'it, and just hard reset it myself and hotsync'd all my settings back.

Now, when I go to the phone info, it says software: Treo600-1.0-SPR. But that is impossible! It never made it through...

I'm baffled, and somewhat dismayed...

Matt
    RJuhl
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    2) do a hard reset
    3) load updater 1.10
    5) hot sync ( make sure handheld overrights desktop is selected for system under custom in hot sync)

no problems software version is now 1.10, all apps and prefrences restored and working fine

These instructions are the most clear that I have read. Thanks, this is what I will do.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    2) do a hard reset
    3) load updater 1.10

Indeed, these are by far the easiest to follow. If you have a SD backup solution (I use Backup Man) it will smooth the process quite a bit and make it painless.

Good luck to all.

ps: Still no SMS in Miami, FL.
    For those of you posting:

== It worked fine for me!

in response to someone else saying the update is broken for them - it doesn't matter at ALL that the update worked fine for you - an update is SUPPOSED to work fine for EVERYONE and if it does not then the update is broken.

====

As an aside - anyone gone into their newly-installed code and seen if the CDMA locking code has been changed/hardened?

Giggle.
    does anoneknow if this update fixed the loose sounds in games bug after a couple of minutes?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I tried installing the update this morning (I have a Windows machine at work and a Mac at home.) During the installation the Treo screen asked that I plug in the charger and select OK to continue. I have a USB cradle at work, but the charger is at home. Selecting "OK" only got the same screen request so I selected cancel and got a simple white screen. I sync'd again and everything came back without a problem.

I'm pretty sure I did not complete the installation, but at least my phone and PDA are working today. Does anybody know why the charger is required for installation? (I don't remember that being part of the instructions I read.)
    > ...Does anybody know why the charger is required for installation?...

The cynic in me says palmOne is intimately aware of TREO problems caused by non-full batteries and wants to make sure a "full charge"-equivalent is present during the critical part of the software update.

See NUMEROUS other threads discussing low-charge problems.
    Wow, don't I feel lucky. Didn't back anything up first and the update went through flawlessly.
    Originally posted by WHEATHIN
    Hey I've decided after hearing of the problems I'm not installing the upgrade.

May want to rethink that.

I talked to Sprint web support last nite regarding an entirely different issue. When the tech realized I was operating a Treo600 he said they had just received a memo regarding the update.

Apparently, the UPDATE IS NOT OPTIONAL BUT REQUIRED FOR CONTINUED USE OF THE TREO600

According to the memo that was circulating, without the update users will begin to experience phone memory loss, some users may start experiencing problems with voice calls and eventually the phone could stop operating altogether.

In all fairness I was only half listening to the CSR because I had every intention of installing the update and was busy fidgetting with my TIVO. BUT, the bottom line was that the update WAS NOT OPTIONAL.

Kimberly
    I don't have any kind of 3rd party backup system, and I didn't remove anything from my Treo (3rd party hacks), and everything went very very smoothly.

Took only about 5 minutes to complete and once I re-synced EVERYTHING was right back on my Treo, right down to Favorites and Preferences restored.

Could not have been easier.

Kimberly
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...Does anybody know why the charger is required for installation?...

The cynic in me says palmOne is intimately aware of TREO problems caused by non-full batteries and wants to make sure a "full charge"-equivalent is present during the critical part of the software update.

See NUMEROUS other threads discussing low-charge problems.
    I failed to mention my charge was 96% prior to the installation. Are you saying it has to be 100% to proceed?
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Rico

I failed to mention my charge was 96% prior to the installation. Are you saying it has to be 100% to proceed?
    He is saying he is being cynical with his answer. I say they put this in in case someone is LOW on battery power and the battery fails during the upgrade. They have to cover all the bases, I suppose.

I'd plug it in anyway because I'm paranoid.
    I tried updating with an 80% battery and I got the message that my charger was required.

So, unless your battery is at 100% then you will have to have it plugged into your charger.

If you want to try it without the charger, go ahead, I did and nothing BAD happened but I was not able to proceed until I plugged the charger in.

Kimberly
    That is correct.

There are threads here on treocentral that (1) note problems with non-full-charge and (2) note problems with what the TREO 600 REPORTS as charge-state.

Though =I= am cynical, the evidence of what is going on here is too blatant for even the most rosiest-glasses POV.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast