Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by dutchtrumpet

make backup

hard reset your device

run updater with different hotsync ID

restore backup
    This is what I had to do after getting just a blank white screen the first 3 times I tried.
    Originally posted by WHEATHIN
    Hey I've decided after hearing of the problems I'm not installing the upgrade.

1) I don't use SMS at all.

2) My Treo works fine, no trouble with web cookies or whatever.

3) I have had my Hot Sync ID since the Palm Professional and I'm not giving it up. Doing so WILL cause you to lose many apps you have purchased that are linked to the Hot Sync ID.

Just my 2 cents. I would consider installing a ROM update to add voice recording as a feature.

Good luck to everyone who does upgrade.
    You're not changing your Hotsync ID permanently. The best way to do this update is to Hotsync your current ID, backing up all porgrams and saved preferences. Then create a second ID on your PC. Hard reset the 600. Do the upgrade using the NEW, SECOND ID you made. Then restore your data from the first ID.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    Update went well.....the first time!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    it always cracks me up...it's an update just follow the on screen instructions
    On the XP system I normally use (work system), the updater and the POP3 mailer don't show up on the support screen.... but on my win95 system at home, both of those show up. Same URL... wierd... I ended up downloading on one and transferring to the other to get the update on the system I sync with...
    Originally posted by Doug Hillman

Why is it "out the window"? It's still "early 2004" for quite some time now. 'Nother 2 months at least, by my reckoning.
    Well I was referring to January. In any case, my expectations for a Rom update in the next couple months is very low. However considering the unexpected Treo610 rumors, I guess anything is possible huh?

FWIW, I'm not particularly counting on either of those upgrades regardless. The lack of a voice recorder isn't really a problem to be "solved." It's a feature of some other phones that isn't present and wasn't promised on the Treo 600. IF PalmOne ever did release an upgrade to add that funcionality, I'd be highly appreciative. But I'm not counting on it, no matter what some 3rd party source may have claimed. The same really holds true for the camera. It's pretty crappy, but if you finagle it right you can take pictures without blue dots. An upgrade with better automatic (or manual) controls would be nice, but it's not something I think any of us should really expect.
    Well I think a little historical perspective needs to be clarified here. Handspring definitely did intend for the Treo600 to have voice recorder functionality when they initially released it. The problem is that they basically ran out of time and money to do this. In fact there is nothing hardware-wise that prevents the Treo600 from having voice recorder functionality. The only thing lacking were the appropiate API's available to Devs and it now appears the merger with Palm may have even further delayed the update release. Finally Audiost is not just claiming it, they've plainly stated on their product descriptions that they clearly expect Treo600 compatibility the SPRING OF 2004.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    So much for the upgrade.... It didn't restore my email app, splashid stuff. I'm going to have to set aside an hour or more to getting this upgrade right. Why can't it be easier...

Luckily I had just done a backup, so I just restored the phone back to the way it was before I started...
    This update stinks. PalmOne should pull that piece of crap off their website until they can get the bugs worked out of the install process. I had to do the hard reset trick, and I'm still praying that I'll get everything back the way I had it. I've used Palm Pilots for years and know my way around them enough to figure this out, with help from this forum. God help those who thought they had a regular phone and that updating their phone would be a cakewalk.
    Funny thing, all I did was follow the instructions and it worked perfectly.
    Keep in mind that it can not restore files and settings that are not in your backup folder. No problem just do a restore from backupbuddy. If you are not backing up to a SD card you will have to re-enter all of those settings. Things like registration codes for 3rd party software.
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    $70 (and however else too),
    Couple off the wall questions. WHen you go to the about, in the help menus, does it still say Handspring and show flip (like in application manager, "options","about Applications" and mine shows Handspring Applicationas V.5.2H. Or is all the Handspring stuff repalces with Pa1m One now?
    Still the same "Handspring Applications v.5.2H.

Do any of the undocumented features (tricks/work arounds) not work now, in other words, did Sprint put the heavy on them to remove stuff, like the ability to send pictures from the HS mail app, to force you HAVE to use picture mail, and stuff like that?
    Not that I am aware of. I use Snappermail. No problems at all.

BTW, what have you seen so far? Is this like the Treo300 update, don't upgrade unless you have an issue? The Treo300 upgrade was pretty transparent from what I remember people saying. I never did it, due to all the poor responce from people saying to only do it if you have issues, and mine was fine.

Thanks again.
    I didn't have the 300 (Kyocera 6035), however, this upgrade has been pretty transparent for me so far. I didn't experience any of the issues listed nor did I need any of the other features other than "Corrects SMS Messaging with Sprint's new network SMS implementation " I took the chance to see if I can finally get SMS working one of these days.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    After installing the update I lost all my contacts!!!!

All of my e-mails and everything else are there, but all of my contacts are gone.

I was using Yahoo Intellisync.

Anyone else have this problem??????
    Wow, Intellisync was a nightmare.

I lost all of my contacts, todo list and memos after installing the update
    the update installed fine. didn't seem to fix anything though. my main issue now is that whenver i run chatter and then switch to the web it performs a soft reset. i had chatter background mode checked but quiet mode turned off..anyone have any solutions to my problem?
    Anyone in the NYC metro area able to SMS out from their Treo 600 with the new update?

For me it looks like it tries to send, the gives a "message not delivered" message saying "This service will be available soon".
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular
    After installing the update I lost all my contacts!!!!

The instructions tell you that you need to change you "contacts" conduit to somthin other than "do nothing." If you leave it on "do nothing" then it will not sync your contacts from you phone to your desktop.

The update worked for me! I followed the directions and it worked like a charm!

Good luck to all!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Well, soon as I saw it, like an ***** I decided to go Gung Ho and install it on my laptop before doing a backup on my desktop w/ Backup Buddy (only talking one day of data, pretty much nothing).

The actual installer PC Software never finsihed, but the flash did complete and wipe the treo. Went ahead and restored using BBuddy, and life is good again.. Tried sending out a message, and it's a no go (Long Island area). Was able to send SMS directly out this afternoon while in NYC. Crashing does not seem to be happening, which is good.

All is right with the world again

Oh - what's the ## code to check to make sure things actually did update?
    Originally posted by grepmstr
    Anyone in the NYC metro area able to SMS out from their Treo 600 with the new update?

For me it looks like it tries to send, the gives a "message not delivered" message saying "This service will be available soon".
    I'm in NYC also and just did the update, but still can't send out SMS.
    Update went absolutely fine...

Here's THE safest way to update
    1) HotSync to backup everything (use BackupBuddy if you want to be EXTRA sure)
    2) Copy everything out of your backup folder and place it in a temp directory (your backup folder is something like c:\Palm\your username\Backup or c:\Program Files\Palm (or Handspring)\your username\Backup
    3) Delete EVERYTHING from that Backup folder (so it doesn't get restored after the hard reset - delete the archive folder as well just in case
    4) Hard Reset your device
    5) Run the updater program on your PC and follow the instructions (select your palm username when you first hotsync).

After the update and everything is working, THEN start reinstalling everything from that temp folder you made in step 2.

Yes, it's a pain, and it took me almost 2 hours to re-register and configure everything the same way again, but you will not have problems this way.
    Originally posted by cue79
    Well, soon as I saw it, like an ***** I decided to go Gung Ho and install it on my laptop before doing a backup on my desktop w/ Backup Buddy (only talking one day of data, pretty much nothing).

The actual installer PC Software never finsihed, but the flash did complete and wipe the treo. Went ahead and restored using BBuddy, and life is good again.. Tried sending out a message, and it's a no go (Long Island area). Was able to send SMS directly out this afternoon while in NYC. Crashing does not seem to be happening, which is good.

All is right with the world again

Oh - what's the ## code to check to make sure things actually did update?
    ##786
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    the code is ##786

Mine went flawlessly. Didn't take anywhere near 8 minutes though.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast