Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
    To all worrying about the "sky falling in" when attempting the update, please note that I just put my phone in the cradle, dloaded the updater and 5 mins later all was completed perfectly. I think one of the problems with forums is that you only tend to hear of the problems and not the norms.

To the undecided I say go for it. Its really no big deal.

P.S. I was also running around 30 apps from SilverScreen to Agendus. I did no pre-install soft resets of disabling and all came back perfectly. A+ to Sprint.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Am I the only one who can't get the updater to download to my computer?
    I applied the update without incident.

I did a full backup using BackupBuddy and did a full restore after without waiting to see if I had any problems, and so far, the only thing I've noticed is that I had to reenter registration info for a Palmreader book.

Stupid thing STILL won't fold the laundry though.
    Originally posted by shaber
    I applied the update without incident.

I did a full backup using BackupBuddy and did a full restore after without waiting to see if I had any problems, and so far, the only thing I've noticed is that I had to reenter registration info for a Palmreader book.
    Same here... no problems But, until you mentioned Palm Reader I hadn't thought to try opening it. BBVFS didn't restore my registration info either... but I just put it back in there
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Originally posted by Magohn
    To all worrying about the "sky falling in" when attempting the update, please note that I just put my phone in the cradle, dloaded the updater and 5 mins later all was completed perfectly. I think one of the problems with forums is that you only tend to hear of the problems and not the norms.

To the undecided I say go for it. Its really no big deal.

I tried the simple, straightforward appoach as well (after charging and backing up to an SD card, just to be sure.) The straightforward approach (following Palm's instructions), didn't work for me, attempted twice. I then created a temporary user name, following the steps I found on this thread, and everything worked great. All my original settings and registrations were retrieved from my SD card without incident.

I want to thank those that have posted successful and unsuccessful attempts here, and most of all thank you for the solutions posted here. I know they must have helped more than just me!
    Yes, I think it does do a hard reset.

I highly recommend doing a backup before you apply it, and a restore right after to minimize the chance of any minor problems, but most of those seem to be fixed by reinstalling the software with the trouble.
    To anybody who thinks this update wasn't as easy as it could've been........ you obviously never owned and updated the Kyocera 7135

We had to get our hands on the flash update files and install tool ourselves (against Kyocera's wishes... and they had people out on the Internet looking to see if those files were being openly distributed), and if the 7135 got fried in the process you were completely hosed.

It was kind of fun living dangerously like that though (but I don't mind it this way at all : )
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    I was disappointed that the update was such a pain in the a**. I mean, anyone who doesn't read TC is probably sitting their scratching their head at the "cannot find application" error.

Joe and Jane soccermom don't know to do a backup, create a new user, hard reset, restore, etc.

If you have the battery power and the free memory, the update should just, well ... work.

ROM updates aren't new and here we are in 2004 trying to fitz around and figure out why the "press a button to update" thing won't work.

They outta test these things before releasing them to the general public. Especially when they send an SMS telling you that it is a REQUIRED update.

I'm sure tech support is gettting some calls. And they deserve it.
    And for the record, I had to do the workaround, and I don't even have any hacks running.

I've no idea why I had to hard reset and create another name, but most of my collegues had to do the same.

It seems like it goes smoothly for some, but that is far from being the rule.

Not good for a "required" update.

If you had it work for you first time around, congrats.
    Originally posted by Rico

I want to thank those that have posted successful and unsuccessful attempts here, and most of all thank you for the solutions posted here. I know they must have helped more than just me!
    i second that. i also got the dreaded application not found error, called sprint, and was told simply, what update? we don't know about any updates. sincere thanks to all who posted all the helpful info to get me out of this mess.
    I have tried multiple times to install the updater and after reset and tries to install, it shows a message that reads: "cannot find the operation application".
    Then the applications menu shows just a fraction of the programs that I had before, and on top, a file that says "ROM update".

Anybody has any idea how to get it back to the way it was before without a hard reset?
    Well finally installed the update..had problems initially but worked the second time! The first time I just tried installing it normally on my existing profile but it jsut went into an endless loop requiring a soft reset. After the reset, all my info was already deleted so I just hard reseted and ran the update via a clean new temporary profile. The update ran smoothly this time. Afterwards I just restored from the SD card via Backupman and that was it! Whew!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Ranynmansf,
    Actually, I just noticed a FEW changes to this...I now have an OFF option for volumes...and when you choose one, it actually plays it at that volume so you can hear what that level sounds like...then I noticed that there is a new category for Mail notifications.
    I am running V1.1 and have the same above options.
    Just FYI to whom ever.
    BTW, my T600 is in the truck getting a full charge so I can take the plung....let's hope my next post is a nice, happy, short one..LOL
    Regards, Matt Burkhard
    Nice, happy, short one....
    Started the process per Handspring's detailed instructions. After I synced and hit reset on the Treo. I got a message on the Treo saying that I had to be hooked up to the charger (95% charge). I hit ok anyway and it would not take it (was not hooked up). Hit cancel on both the Treo and the PC.

Got my USB charge/sync cable and tried again. Followed the instuctions to a "T". Including the turning off of stuff like
    Graffiti Anywhere
    TreoAlertMgr
    Treo600SMS
    TST
    Pocket Tunes (hot stop, not pause)
    restored valuse to OEM settings on
    Phone Guard
    Mlights
    (all before I hit the HotSync button of course)

Let it rip and all was good.

12:22 start
    12:24 done with ROM update (Treo Screen has B/W sequence screen to look at with "Do NOT reset durring this process" during the update)

12:24 hit hotsync again, per instuctions to restore my "old data"
    12:29 done (I have a BUNCH of DTG files that had to be done and such.

Everything seems fine. I even hot my Pocket Tunes hotkey "P" from the phone screen and it took right off with the last song
    Drowning Pool - Bodies (thank goodness, the Treo didn't hit the floor LOL)

Only thing to complain about if I HAD to, Graffiti Anywhere is not working, but it's a hack and probably needs to be reinstalled. Also my Graffiti1 files are gone, but that's OK with me, now i can trouble shoot the "auto shift" not working that all of the GA users have.

EVEN MY CARRIER HACK splash screen worked "out of the box" (after the ROM update).

Hope this info at least helps someone, Matt

Is the "ARMTelephony Wr... " file new? Via App Launcher, menu, info?
    I also have more free memory now too, had 6.4M beofre, have 7.2M now. Perhaps the re-doing cleaned up orphaned files?
    Anybody else having this problem? I installed the updater 1.10 yesterday. Ever since, every time I hit the "power" key to turn the screen back on (the left-most button of the four beneath the screen), my Treo 600 performs a soft reset.

Very irritating. Anybody have a clue as to what I should do? I'm also going to post this in a separate thread.
    ROFLMAO.
    also have more free memory now too, had 6.4M beofre, have 7.2M now. Perhaps the re-doing cleaned up orphaned files?
    Nothings free...
    The HS mail client didn't reinstall it's self with the hotsync. That is where some of it came from.

Double clicked the PRC on the ole PC and hotsynced it in and it even had my old emails and all the correct settings. Also Klondike was hosed, had to do the same to that PRC.

So HS mail Client was missing
    Klondike was hosed

Both were VERY EASY to fix, no harm done
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    ROFLMAO.

Nothings free...
    The HS mail client didn't reinstall it's self with the hotsync. That is where some of it came from.

Double clicked the PRC on the ole PC and hotsynced it in and it even had my old emails and all the correct settings. Also Klondike was hosed, had to do the same to that PRC.

So HS mail Client was missing
    Klondike was hosed

Both were VERY EASY to fix, no harm done
    hmm....everything was exactly the same after the HotSync....mail and all. Well...except AvantGo.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I did the update without having to do anything unusual. It took less than 20 minutes.
    After many false starts, with installations causing infinite soft reset loops, the instructions that worked smoothly for me were:

1. Download and install Syncall (freeware) from PalmGear to make sure all application data is saved. HotSynch with current profile.
    2. Create new profile (e.g. "Temp") on Palm Desktop.
    3. Hard reset. HotSynch new profile.
    4. Install update as instructed by program.
    5. Once the update is finished, hard reset and HotSynch your old profile.
    6. Voila, you are experienced!

I haven't noticed any substantial changes so far. My perception of a reduced blue dot problem with the camera is most likely wishful thinking. Blazer boots faster, but doesn't seem to load pages faster.

The update is ostensibly just a bug fix plus SMS enabling where service is online. SMS service is still reported as not yet available when I try to send messages without Treo600SMS (I'm in Los Angeles).