Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I don't even have a Treo yet (damn Canadian carriers), but I'm already thinking about how I would use it. I am wondering if such an application exists:

It would consist of two parts
    - a POP3/IMAP client running on my home computer that checks several of my email accounts and downloads new messages. The messages would be collected into one pool and stored on the machine.
    - a POP3 server would allow connections from my Treo and send down all of the aggregate messages that the client collected.

This should work as I always have my home computer running, it has a static hostname (dynamic IP but mapped to static host name via dynamic DNS).

That way, the home computer would do most of the work of connecting to the various email accounts that I have and downloading messages, but the Treo would just need to connect to my home computer (and you could use any POP3 mail client for PalmOS).

Does something like this exist already? If not, I guess it's a project I could start one of these eons.
  2.    #2  
    I'm surprised that there isn't such a tool, at least not something popular as no one seems to be suggesting anything even close.

Don't all speak at once

Mike
    Mike:

Is it absolutely necessary to store all the messages in a pop3 server on your home machine?

Seems like you can get the same effect by running something as simple as Microsoft Outlook Express, include all the accounts you want to retrieve, and then forward everything to a different pop3 account which you could retreive from the Treo. Just make sure the account you forward to isn't one you check from your home machine so you don't get into a forwarding loop.
  4.    #4  
    Technically that would work in that I would get the messages, but one problem would be that all of the messages would now be from me instead of the original sender.
    Sounds way, way too complicated. Use IMAP and Chatter, and you don't need anything else.
  6.    #6  
    That is not going to work for all mail hosts, this would be a universal solution.

From the lack of replies, it seems like nothing of the sort exists as I would expect someone to say "oh ya, check out Software XYZ. It will do what you want".
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I run a program at home from software602.com called 602Pro Lan Suite which has a free 5 user version. It acts as a fax server and pop server (and possibly more.) I use it as a network fax server so I can fax from any computer on my network. I don't use the pop part of it, but it has the ability to download all mail from several accounts and store them on your network. Then you connect to it via its pop server to get your mail. It can sort it out for several users, too. If you open your computer to the internet then you should be able to use your treo to access that pop server and do what you are looking for.

Jason
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Jason, I'll look into it. At first glace it looks like it may work. Much appreciated.

Mike
    Please don't confuse this dopey monkey with me, the original dopey monkey. "It's my avatar, and I'll cry if I want to..."

Paul
  10.    #10  
    Paul, while we are on the topic (or off the topic as it may be), it's an ape

Now if I could only find him holding a Treo!

Mike
    Originally posted by kazinvan
    Hello,

I don't even have a Treo yet (damn Canadian carriers), but I'm already thinking about how I would use it. I am wondering if such an application exists:

It would consist of two parts
    - a POP3/IMAP client running on my home computer that checks several of my email accounts and downloads new messages. The messages would be collected into one pool and stored on the machine.
    - a POP3 server would allow connections from my Treo and send down all of the aggregate messages that the client collected.

This should work as I always have my home computer running, it has a static hostname (dynamic IP but mapped to static host name via dynamic DNS).

That way, the home computer would do most of the work of connecting to the various email accounts that I have and downloading messages, but the Treo would just need to connect to my home computer (and you could use any POP3 mail client for PalmOS).

Does something like this exist already? If not, I guess it's a project I could start one of these eons.
    I think what you are looking for is the SEVEN (www.seven.com) client (rebranded by Sprint as Business Connection).

Here's how it works:

On a PC connected to the internet 24/7, setup MS Outlook to check all your email accounts every couple of minutes and deliver them all to the "Inbox" folder. The SEVEN client, which is running in the background, will push any new emails that arrive in the Outlook Inbox over to the SEVEN client that is on your Treo 600. Any changes you make on either the Treo or the desktop are reflected on the other. For instance, delete an email from the Treo and it will be moved from your Inbox folder in Outlook to the "deleted items" folder in Outlook. Or send an email from your Treo and it looks like you sent it from your PC. The two clients (PC and Palm) sync with each other as often as every 15 minutes so that they mirror each other perfectly and automatically.

Unfortunately, it is up to the carrier to offer this software/service. You can see a list of who offers it on Seven's website.

The only other piece of software that could help you out is Dataviz's (www.dataviz.com) Inbox-to-go Wireless. It is almost identical to the SEVEN software in how it works with the exception that it doesn't automatically check for new email. You have to tap the "send/receive" button but once you do, it will sync with the Outlook Inbox on your PC and any new messages that have arrived will appear on your Treo. Likewise, any changes you make on the Inbox-to-go Wireless client on the Treo will be reflected on the PC, just like with the SEVEN software. The upside to Inbox-to-go is that it has excellent attachment support when coupled with Dataviz's popular Docs-to-go software. SEVEN's software has very limited attachment support, converting things like MS documents and excel spreadsheets into a text-only format.

So assuming you don't have access to the SEVEN software, Inbox-to-go Wireless I think is your best bet (not carrier dependent). You will have to tap the "send/receive" button whenever you want it to check for new email but it does have excellent attachment support and is definitely capable of doing the things you listed as requirements.
    Of course, if you use Chatter, you don't need to have anything running on your PC at all. And your messages get pushed within seconds, not minutes. As long as you don't need attachments, that is (and I didn't see that in your requirements).

Marc
    I use fetchmail. You configure it for multiple accounts, I have three POPs and an IMAP, and it runs as a daemon and injects everything into a local SMTP server. The good part is that everything goes into a unified procmail, which I then use to strip down messages into a Treo specific mailbox.. I could leave them alone I guess.

The beauty of fetchmail with IMAP is that if your remote account supports IDLE (such as fastmail.fm), then fetchmail will download the messages in realtime. With remote POP accounts you have to set a polling interval.
    I really don't understand why you wouldn't want a real IMAP client rather than a mail re-processor?? Could one of you (potatoho) explain it to me? It's not nearly as elegant a solution, and basically works AROUND, rather than WITH, the best parts of IMAP (i.e. a common message store). I'm really confused!

Marc
    Originally posted by mblank
    I really don't understand why you wouldn't want a real IMAP client rather than a mail re-processor?? Could one of you (potatoho) explain it to me? It's not nearly as elegant a solution, and basically works AROUND, rather than WITH, the best parts of IMAP (i.e. a common message store). I'm really confused!
    I still use an IMAP client sometimes. But I use fetchmail to inject fastmail into my own mailbox. So my IMAP client is always connecting to my own IMAP server.

That's because fastmail charges for bandwidth, so this lets me download the message a single time in realtime and then have it available for my own IMAP server.

It's pretty neat because I don't have any IMAP clients on my PC which are smart enough to do IDLE. So what I do is I use a local protocol (DCOP) to tell kmail that the local mailbox has a new message. He he, it comes up in realtime now.

Have you run into many mail clients which support IDLE? I was using Outlook Express the other week and it was pretty flaky when connected to fastmail. Kept telling me I was not connected, and several times a day it would download duplicate messages.
    Of course, if you use Chatter, you don't need to have anything running on your PC at all. And your messages get pushed within seconds, not minutes. As long as you don't need attachments, that is (and I didn't see that in your requirements).

Marc
    Using Business Connection or Inbox-to-go Wireless allows you to maintain one simple Inbox for your all your email accounts, which is what the thread starter is looking to do. It is also allows you to take any pre-existing, locally downloaded emails with you, not just new ones. Basically, if you want to have the exact same inbox that you see on your desktop (which includes emails from multiple accounts) on your T600, there is no substitute.

In addition, by using BC, you can logon onto any computer and see the exact same desktop inbox with all your email from all your accounts on any PC, complete with access to subfolders, calendar, contacts, and documents.
    No, Marty, that's not true. With Chatter, you can have your entire inbox (plus seven other IMAP folders) on your Treo and being updated 24/7 within seconds of changes happening on the server. This happens whether your Treo is awake or asleep, whether you're in Chatter or in another application.

Not only are the messages themselves sync'ed (and new ones pushed), by the way, but also the "read" and "answered" flags. All you need is a compatible IMAP server.

Marc
    No, Marty, that's not true. With Chatter, you can have your entire inbox (plus seven other IMAP folders) on your Treo and being updated 24/7 within seconds of changes happening on the server.
    So if I have an email message that has been locally downloaded onto my desktop PC (i.e. is not on the server any longer), then I install Chatter, will this email appear in the Chatter client on the T600?

I like to have all my emails from all my email accounts delivered to the same single Inbox in Outlook (so no multiple IMAP folders) and I don't want them left on the server (I want my server mailbox empty so as to enable me to never worry about receiving emails with large attachments, which I get a lot of.). Furthermore, I want to see that exact same Inbox that is in Outlook (that has locally downloaded emails from multiple accounts that are no longer on the server) on my T600.

Can Chatter accomplish this? If so, then I will definitely have to give Chatter a try.

But more important, the thread starter wants the desktop PC to do all the email checking, deliver all the emails from all the accounts to a single Inbox on the PC, then have that Inbox replicated on the T600 and have changes done on the PC or Palm reflected on the other. From Chatter's website, it does not look like it can accomplish ALL this. Is this correct?
    No, that would defeat the purpose of IMAP (having all messages stored on a server so that they can be seen identically from different clients.)

Marc
    No, that would defeat the purpose of IMAP
    Then it appears Chatter would not be the solution the thread starter was looking for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast