1.    #1  
    My company uses Skytel 2-way pagers for business communications. I'd like to get the pages forwarded to my Treo 600 and only carry 1 device. Skytel has the ability to forward pages to e-mail, but what is the best option to get them to the Treo?

Obviously real-time forwarding/receipt is a must, along with reliability.

Suggestions?
    Sprint supports a TAPI 1.5 dial in interface for paging. This is software that uses a modem to call a special phone number at sprint. A modem answers and the message is sent to the sprint network. I believe most of Skytel's -way pagers also support TAPI. Thus, you should be able to actually forward your pages to your Treo600 as SMS's which would be instantanous. I'ld call Skytel to be sure about this...

Of course another option would be just send them to an IMAP email account and get it pushed to your Treo via Chatter which would be instanteous as well!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I don't own a Treo 600, but I do own a Kyocera 7135. Like you, I use a Skytel pager from work. But I have no desire to carry it around. To me, it's almost completely useless. But I am required to have one.

So my solution was to simply have the pages redirected to my cellphone. For example, if you want to send a text message on Verizon, you simply send a text message to 2125551212@vtext.com. For my boss who uses a Nextel phone, we would use 2125551212@messaging.nextel.com

If you are able to access your Skytel account online, you can simply tell the service to forward all your pages to either your PIN, E-mail, or phone. The only negative of this is that it will only hold this setting for one year. Odd, but true. I just had to reset mine this past week.

But it works and it works well. I never receive my pages more that a moment or so after the actual pager would. You can even instruct Skytel to make sure that it retains a copy of the page so that you can see it online or if you turn on your pager sometime later.

Admittedly, if you can't access your Skytel account online, then I don't know what your other options are. You should probably speak to the person in your company responsible for the pagers. Setting up the account management on Skytel requires almost no effort and it's very useful.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I still use my pager as it gives me an alpha numeric message. I just had the company forward the pages to my T-Mo mail address. There are times when I am not on call so I have the pages go to both the pager and my Treo. This works for me as I can give the pager to one of my associates when not on call.
    My company also provides a Skytel two-way pager. As soon as I got my Treo in October, I setup forwarding using the Skytel website.

As mentioned, you can forward to:
    • SMS (xxxxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com)
    • Sprint e-mail (xxxxxxxx@sprintpcs.com) and use Snappermail or an equivalent
    • IMAP e-mail and use Chatter

Skytel allows you to setup forwarding separately for Text messages and SkyTalk messages. If you have an IMAP account and use Chatter, you should be able to safely use that account for both. If not, be careful where you forward your pages.

Skytalk (voice mail) notifications are short and can safely go to SMS. Regarding text messages though ... if you only receive numeric pages then you can safely use SMS as well. However, if you regularly receive lengthy text messages or emails sent to your pager, don't use your sprint SMS address because of the built-in 160 character limitation. You'll end up having your messages truncated. I know this from personal experience.

Right now, I'm using SMS and Sprint email. I'm testing Chatter though and I expect that I'll be switching over to that method soon.

Good luck!
    ~ShooterX~
    - President George W. Bush

I have my SkyTel forwarded to my Treo with Cingular.
    Each page shows up as coming from the EMail Gateway.

Has anyone figured out how to group these so they all appear together similar to a chat session?
    I used to forward my messages as SMS to my Verizon 7135. I would like to do the same with my T600 but I keep getting an error from SkyTel that my email address is too long (xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com.) Has anyone else had this problem?
    Setting up forwarding from Skytel to my AT&T Treo600 was the third thing I did with it once I received it... From the Skytel website, I forwarded everything to my xxx@mobile.att.net account. It works well so far, with no smtp delays as I originally expected.

The only gotcha is the 160-character limit inherent to SMS compared to the 250-character limit imposed by Skytel. Characters over number 160 don't get sent in a second page, as they do with Skytel devices. Email addresses (UNKNOWN@skytel.com) do count against that limit as well...
    My work supplies everyone with a RIM blackberry ipager. I first setup the auto-forward to the ###-###-####@messaging.sprintpcs.com. But the 160 char limit, really hurt especially since the address that it was sent from counted towards the total. I was able to forward message from the RIM to an email address as well. But having to login and pull email everytime I got a page made it a bit cubersome.

Then I found Chatter and setup a free Fastmail.fm IMAP account. I forward my RIM ipages to the fastmail address and set the Chatter app to "background email". I use the sprintpcs smtp server for sending email from Chatter, which has an option for Return and Reply address. I set the return and reply address to my Ipager address. And the people ipaging never know the difference. It works perfectly. The only missing piece of the puzzle is the delivery/read reciepts. This is a great feature that should be added if at all possible.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by leakylegsrider
    I used to forward my messages as SMS to my Verizon 7135. I would like to do the same with my T600 but I keep getting an error from SkyTel that my email address is too long (xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com.) Has anyone else had this problem?

Bump, since I just experienced the same problem. Trying to forward Skytel pages to SMS on Sprint, I get the following error:

ERROR: Please enter valid ForwardTo Email. Make sure it is not more than 32 characters

Anyone solve this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbaker
    Bump, since I just experienced the same problem. Trying to forward Skytel pages to SMS on Sprint, I get the following error:

ERROR: Please enter valid ForwardTo Email. Make sure it is not more than 32 characters

Anyone solve this issue?
    yep, I found the same thing too. No sms option, and email address is limited to 32 characters. What you may want to do is actually talk to a human at skytel and see if there is someway that can overide the 32 character limit.

What I did, was to create a new email address on one of my pop servers, and then had that email forwarded to XXXXXXXXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com. Works great - now I can take the pager from up under my bed, and leave it in my office desk at work!
    I've just got off the phone with SkyTel.
    They said to use this to forward to a Sprint PCS #
    XXXXXXXXXX@sprint.skytel.com

(Replace XXX with your 10 digit sprintpcs phone number.)

Apparently they have no way to override the 32 character limit.

I just tested it with a Sprint number, it followed thru fine!
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post