Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay guys and gals, after a lot of work the known major bugs have been ironed out and we now have an official beta download available. I am pimping this application out on behalf of the developer; I am not the creator of this program, only one of it's beta-testers.

http://www.velocityware.com/downloads/callfilter.zip

Due to the expected frequency of updates, please download only from this link to ensure that you are getting the latest version. Everyone running on the same version makes it easier on the developer when solving problems.

CallFilter is an application that gives you control over your privacy with phones. It allows a user to force callers straight to voicemail based on their caller ID number (including blocked caller IDs) and time of day or both in combination. It is compatible with both GSM and CDMA phones.

-----------------
    from readme:
    "A FEW NOTES TO USERS:
    1) The automatic call forwarding feature when your treo is charging or
    in the cradle is really cool. BUT, before you use this feature, please
    check with your Cellular Service provider, so you will be aware of any
    charges that may be associated with forwarding calls.

2) The rules are evaluated as follows:
    User Defined Rules are evaluated First from Top to Bottom.
    Then System Defined rules are evaluated from Top to Bottom.
    You are defining rules that will be exceptions to this assumption.
    You can change the order that User defined rules are evaluated by selecting a rule, and then pressing the + and - on your keypad.
    Once a rule is evaluated to be TRUE, no other rules are evaluated,
    and the action of that rule will be implemented.

3) The phone number field can also use wildcards.
    There are two valid wildcard characters. '*', and '?'
    The '*' is a wildcard for multiple characters, and the
    '?' is a wildcard for a single character.

Here are a few examples:
    To block the entire area code 912 enter: (912)*
    you could have also entered: (912)???-????

To block any phone number with the number 3 in it
    Enter: *3*

You want to block number the number 555-1212, but you arent sure what the
    area code is: (???)555-1212

This feature is very powerful, but you must make sure you
    understand how wildcards work before using it."
    -----------------

The [not in contacts] bug with sprint phones is now fixed and confirmed to work properly. The [blocked ID] should also be fixed as well.

Please use this thread for discussion of problems and for ideas on improvements.
    Good stuff!

I also like the simple interface.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Originally posted by Tekara
    The [not in contacts] bug with sprint phones is now fixed and confirmed to work properly. The [blocked ID] should also be fixed as well.

Please use this thread for discussion of problems and for ideas on improvements.
    I've found the follwing problem:

When Callfilter is active and I receive a call from an entry in my favourites, which has a picture attached, I get a garbled screen, i.e. I get the screen with the picture (and the 2 smaller buttons to accept and reject the call) on top of the standard (no picture screen with the 2 big buttons). The result is that the buttons don't work.
    With Callfilter disabled I get the expected screen with the picture.
    --
    Manfred
    I was not able to get a block just for calls that have No Caller ID on the previous version. Do I just add a rule for No Caller ID like the Not In Contacts rule?

Unfortunately I have no way to test it until I get one of the calls.
    Originally posted by neotope
    I was not able to get a block just for calls that have No Caller ID on the previous version. Do I just add a rule for No Caller ID like the Not In Contacts rule?

Unfortunately I have no way to test it until I get one of the calls.
    I want this as well, but I couldn't figure out how to add it as a rule. Everything I tried came back with a dialog box stating it wasn't a valid number. Any guesses how to do this?

Thanks.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Works great now with CDMA Treo!

Phone: CDMA Treo
    Carrier: Sprint PCS

Question: Is there a way to block calls from a category in your contacts? I have three categories set up in my contacts:

Work
    Non-work
    Personal

Lets say I want to block all calls in the "Personal" category, and let the calls in the "work" and "personal" come through.

Can this be done? If so, how!

Keep up the good work!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Originally posted by Fittske

Phone: CDMA Treo
    Carrier: Sprint PCS

Question: Is there a way to block calls from a category in your contacts? I have three categories set up in my contacts:

Work
    Non-work
    Personal

Lets say I want to block all calls in the "Personal" category, and let the calls in the "work" and "personal" come through.

Can this be done? If so, how!

Keep up the good work!
    That is one request/suggestion I mailed to the developer. Highly needed and useful! Haven't heard from him yet :-(
    --
    Manfred
    Testing Release 1.0 RC 2 on treo 600 Sprint:

When you move the rule down with a minus sign (Alt-S) works just fine, but moving the rule up with a plus sign (Alt-W) doesn't work. Moving all the rules but one down moves the remaining one up, but that's the hard way :-).

Also, there is a difference between Blocked Caller ID and No Caller ID. One is intentionally blocked by the caller and the other usually denotes a trunk line call (telemarketers, etc), although it could just be a call from an older phone company. (How many people with rotary dial phones call people with cell phones these days?) I'm not sure if that distinction is sent to a wireless phone but it does show up on caller ID at home.

I too, would be happy to do some further beta testing with this app. very good so far!
    Doug Blair
    Originally posted by mani_lx

I've found the follwing problem:

When Callfilter is active and I receive a call from an entry in my favourites, which has a picture attached, I get a garbled screen, i.e. I get the screen with the picture (and the 2 smaller buttons to accept and reject the call) on top of the standard (no picture screen with the 2 big buttons). The result is that the buttons don't work.
    With Callfilter disabled I get the expected screen with the picture.
    I am having the same problem with mine on my GSM 600. Will there be a fix for this? If there is please let us know when.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Here is a work-around for blocking calls from a contact list.

What I did is.... for every name in a particular contact list I placed a special character for example:

For the name: Jon Doe
    I will list it as: John Doe $

I will use the "$" Character at the end of every name in that category list.

Now in the call filter app, I will tell it to block all calls with the "$" symbol with the following rule:

*$*

This sends all calls with "$" in it to voicemail.

Now this is just a work around until the developer can address the question.

But this seems to work in the mean time..
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    My Phone history.....
    I've set the "is blocked" rule to revert to voice mail between 8pm and
    8am. Called from a "blocked id" phone, the rule activated and the call
    was not accepted: but I called at 8.15am !??

I.E. It is not accepting calls regardless of the time!
    --
    Manfred
    I'd like to be able to send callers directly to voicemail, without them getting the ringing tone, is there any way to do this?
    Originally posted by tjd414

I want this as well, but I couldn't figure out how to add it as a rule. Everything I tried came back with a dialog box stating it wasn't a valid number. Any guesses how to do this?

Thanks.
    Hello All,
    I am the developer of CallFilter. Thank you for all your support so far. Everyone here on TreoCentral is great! I hope things are going well as you try the software. I especially want to thank Tekara, Godfather, and rosenft for assistance in beta testing, feedback, and informing people about the status of CallFilter. Yesterday I was quite busy resolving any Sprint CDMA issues, so it was nice that they communicated on my behalf because I was too busy.

I am going to try to answer as many of these postings as possible today.

To Answer your question about NO CALLER ID:

It is already possible to block all calls that say "NO CALLER ID". You do this by clicking on the [Is Blocked] rule, and selecting SendToVoiceMail.
    Originally posted by dougblair
    Testing Release 1.0 RC 2 on treo 600 Sprint:
    When you move the rule down with a minus sign (Alt-S) works just fine, but moving the rule up with a plus sign (Alt-W) doesn't work. Moving all the rules but one down moves the remaining one up, but that's the hard way :-).
    Doug, the moving of rules does work. Let me give you a quick rundown...
    There are two types of rules.. System Defined Rules, and User Defined Rules. You can not move System Defined rules, only user defined rules.
    So when you were moving your rule UP using Alt-W, it will move up until you get to a system Rule. It will not let you move it above the Three defined system rules..and thats by design. I wanted all the system rules together because they are so special.

OH, and a quick shortcut....you dont have to type Alt-W and Alt-S to move up and down. Just hit 'w' and 's'. No Alt or shift is required. That makes it really easy and quick to move rules around.

If anyone needs clarification on how rules are processed and in what order, please let me know.

Originally posted by dougblair
    very good so far!
    Thanks for the positive feedback!!! I am glad you like it!
    Originally posted by mani_lx

When Callfilter is active and I receive a call from an entry in my favourites, which has a picture attached, I get a garbled screen, i.e. I get the screen with the picture (and the 2 smaller buttons to accept and reject the call) on top of the standard (no picture screen with the 2 big buttons).
    This problem is being review and addressed. This problem is a little more complex to fix than it may seem. (I do lots of magic to make CallFilter work so transparently). So I dont have an ETA on the resolution of this problem. The first version will probably be released with this issue because the other benefits of CallFilter outweight that issue for many people. But hopefully, it will be resolved soon.
    Thats AWESOME! I am glad our modifications to make it work on Sprint CDMA phones worked! It was a pain. I am amazed at how many differences exist between the CDMA, and GSM versions of the Treo 600.

Work
    Non-work
    Personal

This is not a feature of the current version, BUT, this feature is high on my list of future features to implement implement, and will probably popup in CallFilter as a feature in about week or so. Especially, now that Contacts searching works properly under CDMA.

Keep up the good work!
    We are trying our best! Thanks for the ideas and feedback.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Post remove because issue was addresed!

Keep Up The Great Work!
    My Phone history.....
    Originally posted by VWare

It is already possible to block all calls that say "NO CALLER ID". You do this by clicking on the [Is Blocked] rule, and selecting SendToVoiceMail.
    Incoming calls that are "NO CALLER ID" ring 8 times (GSM T-Mobile) before going to voicemail. Additionally, the CallFilter "action log" shows 8 entries, one for each ring. I do not think this is working the way it was intended to work. (using 1.0 candidate #2)
    Last edited by elysian9; 01/27/2004 at 01:44 PM.
    Originally posted by elysian9

Incoming calls that are "NO CALLER ID" ring 8 times (GSM T-Mobile) before going to voicemail. Additionally, the CallFilter "action log" shows 8 entries, one for each ring. I do not think this is working the way it was intended to work. (using 1.0 candidate #2)
    This is good feedback. Looks like GSM for T-Mobile works differently than ATT GSM. This is also similar to a report I saw from Portugal. So appearantly some implementations of GSM actually make your phone ring in different ways!! No worries mate, I think this is something we can work through together.
    Originally posted by VWare

Unfortunately "No Caller ID" and "Blocked Caller ID" are not the same thing. I would like all calls with "No Caller ID" to go directly to voicemail but calls with "Blocked Caller ID" to ring as normal, however at this time I guess that is not possible.

If this feature was added I would consider eventually buying CallFilter when it becomes available.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast