1.    #1  
    I realize this is a minor gripe, but why does the Treo (at least the GSM version) display "No service - SOS only" when there's no signal? The message would make sense if there were signal for some other carrier, but it gets displayed when there's no RF of any sort.
    I think it was meant to inform you that you can place a 911 call and that is it.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    i think the message is quite clear! you've got no signal right now so you can't make or receive calls. however, by law, you can place a call to 911 if you need to. they just show you a shortened version of it.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Originally posted by randyg
    i think the message is quite clear! you've got no signal right now so you can't make or receive calls. however, by law, you can place a call to 911 if you need to. they just show you a shortened version of it.
    The law states that all cell phones, wether activated or not, can dial 911 on their carrier's network.

Reread the original post. He is saying there is no carrier network to connect to.

So, how can you call 911 when there is no network?
  5.    #5  
    But you can't place a 911 call if there's no signal from any carrier at all. There are really three states: (a) signal with your carrier, (b) signal with another carrier, who is legally obligated to accept your 911 calls but nothing else, (c) no signal of any sort and thus no way even to call 911.

Not distinguishing between (b) and (c) is misleading and maybe even unsafe.
    How do you know there's no signal?
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by platron

But you can't place a 911 call if there's no signal from any carrier at all. There are really three states: (a) signal with your carrier, (b) signal with another carrier, who is legally obligated to accept your 911 calls but nothing else, (c) no signal of any sort and thus no way even to call 911.

Not distinguishing between (b) and (c) is misleading and maybe even unsafe.
    and of course you've put your theory to the test! all i know is even if you "have no signal", you can still call 911. been there, done that!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  8.    #8  

and of course you've put your theory to the test! all i know is even if you "have no signal", you can still call 911. been there, done that!
    This sort of reminds of my 8th grade history class, where some kid asked how Washington could be sure that the Hessians wouldn't radio their base camp and regroup. He thought you could have a radio conversation with zero radios; you say 1; I say 2.

KRamsauer - I have no signal, for example, in deep subway stations. Just to be sure, I tried making a 911 call while 100ft underground (I figured I could always claim that someone was littering) and... it didn't work. My 2 radios theory is vindicated.
    I kept seeing the 'SOS only' on ATTWS. Checking the network showed that there was no ATT signal, only Cingular. The latter would be providing your 911 signal. If there's neither tower available, you should see a 'No signal' message. Since switching to TMobile (which uses the Cingular towers) my reception is much, much better in my part of the world (Berkeley, CA). Too bad ATT doesn't share Cingular towers - maybe they will shortly....
    This has been driving me nuts as well. I have a Cingular Treo as well as a Cingular Blackberry and when I have the two docked in their cradles right next to each other in my office, the Treo will drift in and out of service whereas the Blackberry will get an almost full signal ?

In my office I initially got a pretty good signal on my Cingular Treo 600 as opposed to my Treo 180 from T-Mobile (main reason why I changed to Cingular) , but it definitely deteriorated over the span of about 4 weeks. I had some problem right out of the box with my Treo that wouldn't register on the netwrok but just show the "SOS Only" message and after a call to CS they suggested that the SIM was fried and that I should get a replacement from the nearest store. I took the metro to the store and as I was waiting my turn in the store, Treo in the pocket, it must have registered on the netwrok because as soon as I yanked it out to show the CS rep, it was registered and dsiplaying a full signal. Even afterwards I recieved a pretty good signal back in my office MOST of the time, but lately it has been really terrible...yet the Blackberry is getting a full Cingular signal ?

What's wrong with my Treo - SIM or the Radio ?
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by giggsy
    I kept seeing the 'SOS only' on ATTWS. Checking the network showed that there was no ATT signal, only Cingular. The latter would be providing your 911 signal. If there's neither tower available, you should see a 'No signal' message. Since switching to TMobile (which uses the Cingular towers) my reception is much, much better in my part of the world (Berkeley, CA). Too bad ATT doesn't share Cingular towers - maybe they will shortly....
    Maybe my unit is defective then. I've never once seen a "No signal" indicator, even in places where a network search shows no carriers.
    I believe "SOS Only" means that the phone is getting a signal that it's not allowed to roam onto.

For instance, Cingular phones can't roam on AT&T's network. If a phone with a Cingular SIM only sees an AT&T signal, it will show SOS Only, because AT&T must carry 911 calls, but not anything else from Cingular customers.
    Originally posted by TechPuzzle
    This has been driving me nuts as well. I have a Cingular Treo as well as a Cingular Blackberry and when I have the two docked in their cradles right next to each other in my office, the Treo will drift in and out of service whereas the Blackberry will get an almost full signal ?

Is it possible that the Blackberry is using Cingular's Mobitex network? That could be why the signal strengths are so different. I've got a Goodlink G100 with them and it runs on their Mobitex Network instead of the GSM network.

Just a thought !