Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I know email is discussed ad nauseum, but after searching numerous threads, I haven't found what I am looking for so here goes...

I can do Pop3 send/rec. I used inbox to go wireless on my previous handheld, but it did not auto retrieve emails like the built in email utility does.

What i liked about I2GW was that I could send, receive and delete emails and when I synched, it would move the sent emails to my sent items folder on my desktop and it would delete anything on my desktop that I had delete on my PDA. This let me use the PDA for 2 or 3 days and then sync when I got back to the office without having to delete all the emails again.

I'm using outlook express which may not be "syncable"... I don't know on that issue. I guess I can get Outlook and fix that problem if necessary.

My company has a firewall and won't be opening up any ports and I'm on a private 192. address internally, so I don't think there is any way to wireless sync. Is there?

It comes down to desiring a good, solid pop3 wireless email utility that will work well...

suggestions?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    also.... I would consider a mail forwarding utility as well if it could accomplish the same task...
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    you should try SnapperMail. it will let you delete mail off the server if you wish, that way when you go back to your computer you don't have to re-download and delete the messages. as far as i know, the only email client you can actually sync with is Outlook, but i don't know everything :^)
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    ok, so with snappermail I can choose to SELECTIVELY delete an email from the server? If that is the case, that's a great start. Typically, the email clients ask you to leave or not leave email on server and it applies to all downloaded messages....
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by kenn
    ok, so with snappermail I can choose to SELECTIVELY delete an email from the server? If that is the case, that's a great start. Typically, the email clients ask you to leave or not leave email on server and it applies to all downloaded messages....
    That is correct. I've got SnapperMail set up to Leave Messages On Server. However, when i recieve a message that i don't want and don't want to have to see on my laptop, i flag it to Delete Off Server. Then next time i check email using SnapperMail, it deletes the message off the server. Then i just empty the trash and it's gone for good!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Sprint BC does what you want and can delete emails from your corporate Exchange Server if you access the interface from a browser.

If you use the Palm client, you can delete locally but they will still be on the server.

There are plenty of threads that go over the pluses and minuses of BC...there are many!
    Take a look a VeraMail as well, I understand it is a full sync and wireless option.
    Originally posted by kenn
    I know email is discussed ad nauseum, but after searching numerous threads, I haven't found what I am looking for so here goes...

I can do Pop3 send/rec. I used inbox to go wireless on my previous handheld, but it did not auto retrieve emails like the built in email utility does.

What i liked about I2GW was that I could send, receive and delete emails and when I synched, it would move the sent emails to my sent items folder on my desktop and it would delete anything on my desktop that I had delete on my PDA. This let me use the PDA for 2 or 3 days and then sync when I got back to the office without having to delete all the emails again.

I'm using outlook express which may not be "syncable"... I don't know on that issue. I guess I can get Outlook and fix that problem if necessary.

My company has a firewall and won't be opening up any ports and I'm on a private 192. address internally, so I don't think there is any way to wireless sync. Is there?

It comes down to desiring a good, solid pop3 wireless email utility that will work well...

suggestions?
    I'm going to put in a vote for SprintPCS Business Connection (BC) as well. If you are doing POP3, simply tell Outlook not to leave a copy of the email on the server that way you don't have to worry about deleting both locally and on the server, all your email will be stored locally on your PC. Once the email arrives in your Outlook Inbox, a client you leave running in the background will automatically push the new email to your Treo as often as every 15 minutes, automatically. Any changes you make on the PC or Palm will be reflected on the other (just like with ITGW...delete on Palm, email will automatically be moved to deleted items folder on Outlook). The only thing you will be losing from going from ITGW to BC is excellent attachment support. BC has very basic attachment support but no where near that of ITGW with Docs-to-go.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I'm about ready to give up and go back to the built in email. Here is what I'm looking for and I just can't seem to find it. My computer is behind a firewall at work on a private IP address and I can't access it wirelessly (or can I through vpn?)

all i want to do is access my work server via pop3 to send/rec. emails. basically, when I get back to the office and hotsync, i want my inbox, sent items, deleted items, and items moved to the junk folder to sync right then in outlook 2003. I don't need access to the folders while i'm away from the office and I don't need to sync in real time. I don't want or need a third interface pushing/pulling between my laptop and my handheld. The email system at my office is a simple unix sendmail system using pop3 and smtp. We do not have exchange installed so I can't do my syncing at the server.

right now, snapper with the Junk feature gets me half way home.

I have installed and tried aileron, iambic, and a couple of other IMAP clients and they are way overkill. Attachments aren't really that big a deal to me since I am using this as a biz communication device and I really just need to stay in touch via sms and email.

Aileron, as an example, seems quite complex and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get it to "sync" with my desktop outlook when I plug into the usb port.

Again, back to inbox to go wireless. It is a rather simple program... i think it only does POP3. It has a nice, simple interface and can handle attchments if necessary. It installs a desktop conduit so that when you sync, it moves all sent files from the handheld to the sent files directory on the pc and deletes them from the handheld. It also deletes those items in the inbox that were deleted from the handheld. This little program is perfect except that it won't auto check email which is just plain stupid for a wireless email app.

btw, if you want dataviz to support auto checking, email their support folks. they said they were considering it, but wouldn't act unless they got enough requests...