Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every time I get in a car, my call gets dropped! I've tried to narrow it down, and it seems that I can get in ok, I can start my car ok, but when I close my door, the call ends. I've also found that when I'm sitting in the passenger seat, and the driver gets in, it also ends my call. Strange, huh? I can then immediately call back and everything works fine after that. I'm thinking it's a static thing, but then again why would it drop my call when I'm in the passenger seat? Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any ideas why?
    You aren't the only one. Are you using the headset? My bet is it's compression on the hangup button (or the sensor thereto).

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...lose+door.html
    There was a thread on this back in November. It was Kurt R. that had the problem, but it was only when he was using his headset. I think the diagnosis was that somehow the air pressure from closing the car door caused the headset to hang up. Kurt, was that it? MtnManiacX, are you using a headset when this happens?
  4.    #4  
    Why yes, I am using an earbud headset. Air pressure huh? Now THAT is strange!!
    Wow, the same thing happened to me a couple days ago, but not when I got into my car; rather, it was when I got out of my car.

I was wearing a head-set, and it was a windy day. As soon as I stepped out of my car and into the wind, I immediately lost the call. It happened twice within an hour.
    As a PS to my thread, I went out and got a Jabra earwinder and it rocks. No hangup button, but oh well. It doesn't hang up when I close my car door!

I still think this is one of the weirdest/coolest things ever.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    As a PS to my thread, I went out and got a Jabra earwinder and it rocks. No hangup button, but oh well. It doesn't hang up when I close my car door!

I still think this is one of the weirdest/coolest things ever.
    You're talking about the Jabra EarSet WindUp, right?

http://www.jabra.com/products/windup.htm

They have a new version that has the answer/hangup button ("Now with an ON/OFF button"). I just bought mine at Staples though I have not opened it yet.
    Yup. That's the one! FYI, you may need to trim some of the plastic from around the plug to make it sit securely. See attached picture.

As a side note, what kind of car do people experience this in? I have a 2003 Corolla.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9.    #9  
    I drive a Nissan Altima, and it also happened when I was in the passenger seat of a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

So you guys really like the Earwinder, huh? How is the volume on that? Is it a pain to wind up? Do you really have to be careful to pull from each end simultaneously (like it says on their web page)? How bulky is it? And how much $ was it from Staples?

I love using an earbud; in fact, I won't use a cell phone without one. I usually wrap the cord around the keyboard when I put it back into my coat. Oh and by the way, I had that idea (for a retractible headset) years ago! Damn those Jabra people for stealing my idea!! Or should I be thanking them for actually building it? Anyway, thanks for the tip guys!
    Mine was $25 from Best Buy. It is a cinch to wind up. You have to pull both sides, but otherwise, it would just dangle (picture holding one end and pulling it while the other end is free). The volume is great. That jazz about it channeling the sound into your ear is actually legit. It isn't bulky at all. I guess it is bulkier than a normal earbud, but because it doesn't get tangled in with all the other stuff in your pocket, it is less of a pain to carry.

For reference, a picture is attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've got a similar "wind-up" headset from Zip-Linq. It doesn't have the cool blue ear channel doohickey, but it has an "end" button and it sounds fine to me. I haven't noticed it hanging up on me in the car either! I got it free from Zip-Linq to test for compatibility with the T600. The one drawback is that the wire from the mic/end part to the earbud is very fine. I doubt whether it will last a year before I break it.
    Looking at their website it says it only extends to 30 inches. I think the previous windup I had was 30 inches as well. That is just short enough to make it impossible to use when the treo is in my pocket. That's why I went and got the Jabra (four feet).
    I had the same problem with my first treo 600. It would hang up every time I closed my car door - with or without a headset. I have a mini cooper. Sent it back to handspring. They sent me a new one. This one doesn't hang up when I close the door. But, it has the poor speakerphone quality problem. i.e. speakerphone calls & mp3 playing sounds horrible / scratchy. Oh well.

Paul
  14.    #14  
    You sent your Mini Cooper back to Handspring? And they sent you a new one? Wow, that's cool!
    I've noticed that when I wear my headset (plantronics), that if i cough, it hangs up the call. Very weird indeed. I can duplicate the problem at will.
    Carl
    not wishing anything bad on anyone who has a working headset, but i replaced four of the windup earsets by jabra in two months. the first lasted three weeks and i had to compain to staples to get them to exchange. warranty only good for 14 days.

then after that they only lasted 1 week to 10 days. either i couldnt hear them or they couldnt hear me.

In all fairness tho i just remembered this was using the treo 300 headset not the 2.5mm one. when i got my 600 i just stck with the earboom version. the mike is small so i dont feel like Janet Jackson
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    I've noticed that when I wear my headset (plantronics), that if i cough, it hangs up the call. Very weird indeed. I can duplicate the problem at will.
    Weird. I wonder if all this has to do with the hangup button on the 3 pole plugs. W/O the 4th pole, there can't be seperate circuit for hang-up (I think) and therefore it has to sense the hangup some other way. Perhaps this is it?
    Okay, this is odd. I have the Jabra windup w/o the hangup button. If I puff into the microphone area (where the wire comes out) it will hang up the phone!
    The hang-up button grounds the mic circuit. Possibly the sound of shutting a car door or of blowing directly on the mic has the same effect on the mic circuit? Would a loud noise of a certain frequency (or range of frequencies) have the same electronic effect as a ground?
  20.    #20  
    Well my problem wasn't because of the noise. After reading through these replies, I did a test in my car. Closing the car door with the window rolled down did not hang up the phone. When I rolled the window back up & closed the door, it did hang up. Definately an air pressure thing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast