Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello All,

If you've purchased anything expensive in a store recently, you've probably had a nagging feeling that you could have gotten it more cheaply online. We had the same fear, so we created the PalmPrices app. Please help us beta test it.

• It's free
    • It's fast - it looks up products, prices, and ratings in one pass. If you're on a high speed connection, it can download product reviews as well.
    • It's flexible - search by UPC code, ISBN number, or product name.
    • It's convenient - you can purchase products immediately or add them to your shopping cart as a reminder.

...and it's not complete. Please provide bug reports and feedback. The application is available at:

http://www.palmprices.com/palm/PalmPrices.prc

Thanks.
    Shop with confidence.
    http://www.palmprices.com
    You should only accept codes and not names until you work out the kinks with names. For instance, on your website I typed the product name "Treo 600" in the search field for category "electronics". There was no result. Then I tried again using ALL categories and produced the following results:

Brussel's Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree
    Price: $24.99
    Rating: 5.0 Stars
    Availability: 2 to 3 Days

Ryobi 180966R Tree Pruner Replacement Blade
    Price: $13.99
    Availability: 24 Hours

Brussel's Money Tree Bonsai Tree
    Price: $29.99
    Unrated

Vitex Fruit (Chaste Tree Berry) - 400 mg 100 cap
    Price: $6.99
    Unrated
    Availability: Discontinued

Miniature Citrus Tree
    Price not available
    Unrated

Linda's Lollipop Tree
    Price not available

Quantum Pad Book: Magic Tree House - Dinosaurs Before Dark
    Price: $14.99
    Rating: 4.0 Stars

Caillou Tree Fort w/ Figures
    Price: $29.99
    Rating: 4.47 Stars

Santa's Castle Play Set with Exclusive"Flocked" Christmas Tree
    Price: $11.98
    Rating: 3.6 Stars

Smoothie Pro 600
    Price: $44.88
    Rating: 2.25 Stars

Smoothie Pro 600 Brushed Chrome - Brushed Chrome (56 oz. Capacity
    Price not available
    Unrated

Smoothie Pro 600; Smoothie Pro 600 ( RED)
    Price not available
    Unrated

Swing Tray - Portable Booster Seat
    Price: $19.99
    Rating: 2.65 Stars

Clip-Away Feeding Tray - Stage 2 Toddler
    Price: $6.98
    Availability: Not Available

Clip-Away Feeding Tray - Stage 1 Infant
    Price: $6.98

Irish Tree
    Price: $23.67
    Unrated
    Availability: 1 to 3 Months

Tree Fruit
    Price: $22.97
    Unrated
    Availability: 1 to 3 Months

Family Tree Magazine
    Price: $19.96
    Availability: 2 to 4 Months

Global warming mitigation potential of three tree plantation scen
    Price not available
    Unrated
    Availability: Out of Print

Western forests and air pollution (SuDoc EP 1.23/6:600/A-92/140)
    Price not available
    Unrated

Effects of COb2s and climate change on forest trees research plan
    Price not available
    Unrated

The English Orpheus - A Series of English Discoveries 1600-1800
    Price: $9.98
    Availability: 4 to 8 Days

Century Classic IV, 1600-1700
    Price: $11.98
    Unrated

History of Baroque Music
    Price: $61.98
    Unrated
  3.    #3  
    Rosenft,

Thanks for taking the time to try out the app and reply. With regard to your question, here's what's going on:

Currently, Palmprices gets most of its info through Amazon, via their XML API. Unfortunately, that API doesn't seem to return results for cellphones (those are exclusively sold through Amazon marketplace and the results don't always show up in general Amazon searches). So, when you search for "Treo 600," Amazon finds no match, and then proceeds to search for similar words, like "tree" or "tray."

Not a great user experience. I'll try and figure out some way to add cellphones or a site that does carry them.

UPDATE - This is fixed. Cellphones now show up in a search for "all" items.
    Last edited by Palmprices; 01/27/2004 at 01:12 AM.
    Shop with confidence.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I've tried this out, and think it's an absolutely fantastic app. I searched for the lord of the rings dvd, and it found all the matched within 4 seconds, along with the reviews. Much faster than going to the amazon site on blazer and searching from there.
    Yeah, this is a pretty freakin' neat app -- entering ISBNs or UPCs works great (for books and CDs), or so I find in my very limited testing here.

Ummm... do I have this correct: ISBNs are always 10 digits, UPCs are always 12 digits?
  6.    #6  
    Snerdy,

ISBNs are usually ten digits, although they often end in a letter instead of a number. UPC codes can range from 8 to 14 digits, normally 12. Try and enter as much of it as you can, including the small leading and trailing numbers that are a bit off to the sides.

If your Treo has a fast connection to the Internet, turn "load reviews" on in the preferences for an even better experience.
    Last edited by Palmprices; 01/27/2004 at 01:10 AM.
    Shop with confidence.
  7.    #7  
    Slight update - searching for cellphones should now work. I.e., the Treo 600 itself is now available from your Treo 600 :-) Just search for "Treo 600" under "all" to test.
    Shop with confidence.
    My compliments... this app is a must have! I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks again.
    Ohh!! Very nice app. My congrats. Much faster than via web portal! The only suggestion would be the possibility of using various search engines besides Amazon in the future? Could it be possible to use pricegrabber instead? Otherwise, so far so good!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Whoa, just tried it out. I don't know if you know this, but for many this could be THE killer app. Direct, tangible, easy to use cost savings.

I commend you and look forward to following your progress closely!

-Rob
    Both the website (http://www.palmprices.com) and the application are spewing a python stack trace. Something wrong today?

Stack Trace follows (although I'm sure you've seen it):

Mod_python error: "PythonHandler mod_python.publisher"

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\mod_python\apache.py", line 338, in HandlerDispatch
    result = object(req)

File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\mod_python\publisher.py", line 164, in handler
    result = util.apply_fs_data(object, req.form, req=req)

File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\mod_python\util.py", line 400, in apply_fs_data
    return object(**args)

File "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin\ppdirect\pp_webmod.py", line 27, in index

File "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/ppdirect/\pp_server.py", line 210, in checkPrices
    ProductTable = upcSearch(upcstring, searchmode)

File "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/ppdirect/\pp_server.py", line 385, in upcSearch
    ProductTable = modeSearch(UpcCode, 'books')

File "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/ppdirect/\pp_server.py", line 358, in modeSearch
    ProductTable = get_amazon_products.getUrlHeavy(keywordlist, AMAZON_DEV_TOKEN, searchmode, 'normal')

File "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/ppdirect/\get_amazon_products.py", line 109, in getUrlHeavy
    f = urllib2.urlopen(url)

File "C:\Python23\lib\urllib2.py", line 129, in urlopen
    return _opener.open(url, data)

File "C:\Python23\lib\urllib2.py", line 326, in open
    '_open', req)

File "C:\Python23\lib\urllib2.py", line 306, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)

File "C:\Python23\lib\urllib2.py", line 901, in http_open
    return self.do_open(httplib.HTTP, req)

File "C:\Python23\lib\urllib2.py", line 886, in do_open
    raise URLError(err)

URLError:
  12.    #12  
    Jakeblue,

Thanks for the error report - the DNS servers that we use were down so the server couldn't get data from Amazon. It's back up now and should work. Let me know if you find any bugs.

Also, true comparison shopping support is coming! Thanks for the feedback.
    Shop with confidence.
    NIIICCCEEE and unbelievably FAAASSSTTT!
    "Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever." -- L. Armstrong
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    ...The only suggestion would be the possibility of using various search engines besides Amazon in the future? Could it be possible to use pricegrabber instead? Otherwise, so far so good!
    I totally agree with this. It is a nice app, but having it limited to Amazon.com isn't all that usefull. I would love to see it work or use something like Pricegrabber and list a comparison of prices found on the internet instead of just Amazon.com.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    This is a killer idea! Right up there with Dir Assist -- I'm trying it out right now and it's going to become a permanent fixture on my Treo. And I'm putting it on my wife's.

I agree with jglev about getting the data from various sources but for now this will be excellent just to get a quick general comparison.

THANK YOU!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    This is AMAZING! Even comes right up with an option to buy now... unbelievable! On second thought, maybe I'll keep this app OFF my wifes phone.

Great work!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Sorry for all the posts - but this exactly the type of application the Treo is perfect for... I'm getting all excited now about the endless possibilities!!!
    bump
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dpuza
    This is a killer idea! Right up there with Dir Assist -- I'm trying it out right now and it's going to become a permanent fixture on my Treo.

Do you find that Dir Assist is REALLY slow in doing searches (Course, it makes up for it with it's utility)? PalmPrices is so much faster. Wonder why that is. Maybe it's because 5551212.com is slow, and that serves as the search engine for DA, whereas Amazon is fast.
    This is an absolutely UNBELIEVABLY EXCELLENT APP! My great thanks for coming up with such a great product.

I hope that you can continue to develop products that fit this quick and easy catagory. Maybe sell a pack of 5 for $5 or something. I know lots would pay after a 30-day trial.

I wonder if anyone out there has any ideas for other quick search and retrieve apps...like Palmprices.com or DA. Maybe a movie and television schedule app, a quick news retriever app or even a online dictionary link that was quick...so that we don't have to carry it on our Treo

I personally would love it if you could create a faster version of DA that had the ability to, once you have found the right person, transfer that data directly to the palm address book.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

mykul
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast