Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Though I have owned a Palm powered device for years I have really never "played" with it before until I bought the T6. By "played" I mean I have never installed a bunch of programs just to see what they can do. Well, I have definitely taken care of that itch . Unfortunately I was unaware that the Palm OS is as bad as Windows when it comes to programs leaving traces of themselves behind after you uninstall them and of course the names of the files are never clear as to what program they belong to so you can just delete them individually. Also, I was unaware of how important it is to have an uninstall manager program like Uninstall Manager installed prior to installing a bunch of programs. This brings me to my question. I want to do a hard reboot thus clearing all the junk from my T6 then I want to sync again but ONLY bring back my Contacts, Date Book, Memo's, Treo Pictures, & Secret (program) information. I attempted to go into my sync settings and tell only the catagories I meantioned above to sync but when I did the first sync it brought back all the programs & data that I didn't want. Anybody have a suggestion as to how I can accomplish just bringing back my basic info I listed above without the unwanted data? Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Let's Go Tennessee! (Yep, I'm from Nashville)

Anyhoo, not sure if this is what you mean, but have you tried going onto the Web and just clearing your Cookies?

To Do this:

1. Go to web, go into Menu, Options, Preferences, Advanced, Memory Management, then click "Clear Cookies"

On the Advanced section you can also select: "Accept Cookies" which I guess you would want to do.

To do a hard reset, use the inside tip of your stylus and push in the "Reset"button on the back while holding the power button normally does it.

If you don't have something like "Backup Man" you might want to do a backup before you do your system reset to keep your programs and settings.

Hope this helps
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thanks for your response GeekyMom!!!! Unfortunately this isn't the info I needed. I want to get rid of all my programs and just restore my contacts, dates, Secret (password holding program), & memos - everything else I want gone.

Thanks again
    Here' what you need to do:
    delete all apps you don't want from your Palm. in your hotsync settings set the sync to : palm overwrite desktop. perform a Hotsync. hard reset and then another hotsync. now you will see that your backupfolder contains less programs(located program files/handspring/username/backup). good luck!
    If you follow the instructions in the prior post, you will get rid of most stuff, but you could still have some stuff left behind. For example, some programs like xiino leave behind a file that does not get deleted when you delete the program, due to the fact tha the creator id of the remnant file is intentionally different than that of the prc file (others can feel free to supplement this).

I think if you completely empty out the backup folder, probably copying it all somewhere for potential future use (the folder location in question is, for example, in my case C:\Program Files\Handspring\zamiv\Backup), then do a hard reset, then sync, you will be left with only the original applications with your data synced in.

This would mean you would lose your secrets and have to reinstall. You could avoid this if you can identify the several files (prc,pdb, etc.) that go with the secrets app, and leave those as the only things in the backup folder to be put back in after the hard reset. There is some risk that you will not get all the pieces, but you can try this more than once as long as you save all the the contents of the backup folder somewhere else. Every time you do a hard reset it will clear everything out, and only reinstall what it finds in the backup folder.

The other approach would be to try to track down all of the junk by finding all of the "orphan" files (those with a creator id that does not match a prc file) using something like CleanUp from Northglide, and then deleting the ones you do not want or need. This can be frustrating work, because you may have a number of things that you simply cannot tell what they belong to, and in my case I did not want to "break" my T600 by removing stuff unless I was sure that it was not needed. In any case, what ends up being left behind after this sort of a process does not take up much space. If you want it ALL gone use the other approach!

Others with more complete knowledge can feel free to correct or add to this if I have it wrong, but this has been my experience and practice.
    Last edited by zamiv; 01/26/2004 at 09:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I appreciate the reply stynos & zamiv - I will try this when I get home from work this evening.

BTW (by the way) do you know of any good networking apps for the Palm? I found a good remote desktop tool in Mobile TS and a 5250 emulator from Mochasoft (Mocha TN5250) but I still want such utilities as PING, IPCONFIG, TRACERT, etc.
    I was thinking about my answer, and looking at what is in the backup folder. If you wipe it all out, you may have to reenter some carrier app info. It seems like that stuff is probably in ROM, but I notice some files in the backup folder.

You may have to sync one or more of them back in to get everything back working. I am not sure of this...but just a caution!
    Does anyone know if the Uninstall Manager from NorthGlide.com is a good app to use for keeping your Treo 600 neat and tidy?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    From what I have read on this board & others it is a good program. What is good about it is the fact that it keeps track of all the components of the programs so when you go to uninstall the app it gets rid of everything (supposedly). This is why I want to take everything off my T6 so I can load a program like this from the start. Now I do know if you aren't using the purchased version of Uninstall Manager that you have to actually start the Uninstall Manager program to uninstall programs. If you have the purchased version then you can just delete files like normal through the Palm OS and it links to the Uninstall Manager (not a very technical explanation)
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    It worked - thanks!!! I backed up my backup folder then cleared it. Now I can start from the beginning! Thanks again.