Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is anyone aware if there is an appication that will allow you to set how long you want to keep the keyboard illuminated (15sec, 30sec, 1 minute...)??

I am aware of the "function P" but it keeps it always on.

Thanks!
    I am looking for something like that too. I would like to be able to keep the backlighting on when it is in the car kit.
    search for AutoDimmer. It may do what you want.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4.    #4  
    search for AutoDimmer. It may do what you want.

Thanks. However I did a sesrch for AutoDimmer but only found this thread.

Anyone know where I can find AutoDimmer?

Many Thanks!
    AutoDimmer v1.0 is located at Freewarepalm.com
    It's under utilities, miscellaneous.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/autodimmer.shtml
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Looks like autodimmer controls the display backlighting... I think the original poster is concerned with the backlighting of the keypad. I would love to set that timer beyond 5 seconds... whenever I check my voicemail and want to delete the mail, the keypad backlight is turned off by the time I go to hit the "7". It's not a problem if you use the touchscreen for number inputs, but I had the touchscreen disabled during calls so I can leave the phone in my pocket. Having to guess where the number buttons are drives me nuts, though... I's like the keypad backlighting would stay on for 30 seconds at least.
    It doesn't do anything fun for the keyboard backlight.
    After posting the link to the file, I installed it. It only controls the screen.

ehhh

So much for that idea !
  8.    #8  
    Looks like autodimmer controls the display backlighting... I think the original poster is concerned with the backlighting of the keypad. I would love to set that timer beyond 5 seconds... whenever I check my voicemail and want to delete the mail, the keypad backlight is turned off by the time I go to hit the "7". It's not a problem if you use the touchscreen for number inputs, but I had the touchscreen disabled during calls so I can leave the phone in my pocket. Having to guess where the number buttons are drives me nuts, though... I's like the keypad backlighting would stay on for 30 seconds at least.

This is correct, I'm wondering if there is an application out there that will allow me to set a time on how long the keyboard light stays on, 15 sec, 30 seconds. 1 minute etc...

Thanks!
    Try mlights. Although I don't think there's a timer feature...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The best thing I've found so far is just Opt-P. Dims the screen and turns on the keyboard backlight. And leaves it on until you press Opt-P again or shut down. Not what you asked for, but better than nothing.
    Bob Meyer
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    The best thing I've found so far is just Opt-P. Dims the screen and turns on the keyboard backlight.
    If you used that alot, like to keep the keys lit at night say in a car would it have a bad effect after a while. Like would the keyboard lights "burn out"?

Claire
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Originally posted by clairegrrl
    would the keyboard lights "burn out"?
    I don't see any reason to think that would happen (at least not any more so than a regular phone's dial-pad). I think the primary reason the keyboard backlighting is not intended to be kept on all the time is to conserve battery life.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    It seems like so many peeps around here want a progy that will keep the kb lights on when the phone is plugged into a car charger. Come on all u smart guys...somebody write the thing!

Claire
    It seems like so many peeps around here want a progy that will keep the kb lights on when the phone is plugged into a car charger. Come on all u smart guys...somebody write the thing!

Claire
    Yeah, I agree that would be a useful app. However mlights will automatically turn on the keyboard lights with any button press during the time specified. Also, as previously stated, you just have to press opt+p to keep it on...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Also, as previously stated, you just have to press opt+p to keep it on...
    But doesnt that shut off when the set display sleepy time is reached. I must be missing something.

Claire
    That is the problem... The lights shut out. I what something that knows when I have plugged it in the car kit or charger and keeps the lighting on. Someone should be able to write something to do that, right?
    Thats what I would like to see

Claire

Claire
    Now THAT application exists, I think. Try OnCradleOn. It keeps the screen and keyboard lights on when plugged into the charger. I assume it does the same thing plugged into a car charger, although I haven't tried it yet.
    Bob Meyer
    Originally posted by meyerweb

Now THAT application exists, I think. Try OnCradleOn. It keeps the screen and keyboard lights on when plugged into the charger. I assume it does the same thing plugged into a car charger, although I haven't tried it yet.
    I guess Im gonna hafta try it. I was hoping for something that would just keep the KB lights on and let the screen go out when not in use. Is there screen "burn-in" like on old puter monitors?

Claire
    I've seen one report on here from someone who got "burn in" from leaving his Treo screen on a lot. He did some research (and check with Handspring, IIRC), and they told him that the LCD will revert to normal after it's been off for a while.

So if you're going to be spending hours behind the wheel, it's probably not a good idea to leave the screen on. But for shorter trips, it should be okay.

You can always set the screen to minimum brightness while in the car, too. I've used profiles.prc to set up two car profiles, one for day and one for night. Sometimes I even remember to change the profile when I get in my car <g>.

And sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for.
    Bob Meyer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast