Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I have written a utility that I have been using for the last week or so called KEEPOFF that locks out all keys when the Treo is turned off (with the power button) UNTIL IT IS TURNED ON AGAIN using the power button. YOU MUST DISABLE KEYGUARD for this to work properly.

So alerts and snappermail and incoming phone calls, etc. which wake up the treo, do not enable the keys (although the digitizer (touchscreen)) will still be active.

That means that to answer an incoming call, you must touch the on-screen button. At that time the keyboard will become unlocked.

When the display is on and keepoff is locking the keys, key down events will paint a little red box in the lower right corner. When the display is on and keepoff is inactive (but enabled), key down events will paint a little green box in the lower right corner.

Feel free to try this utility and report back to me or post to this thread. This is my first attempt at a "real" Treo program!

http://www.vtable.com/keepoff.prc
    --jaslo
    Love it, and love the idea that its not a hack. I will try it for a while and give you feedback. Thanks....
    This is great. But in the spirit of "we're never satisfied" can I make one suggestion/request?

I don't know how difficult it will be to implement, but if it could lock all the keys EXCEPT the Center button, it would be even better. Then we could still answer a call by hitting Center.

But, even as is: Thank you very much.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    It's works fine with my GSM Treo 600. Thanks...
    And if it could lock all the keys optionally EXCEPT the basic 4 buttons(PHONE,CALENDER,MAIL& POWER) that would be better for launch main programs faster...
    Originally posted by LUC_SHAO
    It's works fine with my GSM Treo 600. Thanks...
    And if it could lock all the keys optionally EXCEPT the basic 4 buttons(PHONE,CALENDER,MAIL& POWER) that would be better for launch main programs faster...
    I, personally, want it to lock these four buttons. Carrying it in my pocket, I find that these buttons are accidentally engaged all the time. So I guess an app with user configurable settings is what's really needed.

But don't get me wrong. The way it works now is a lot better than nothing.
    Bob Meyer
    Originally posted by meyerweb

I, personally, want it to lock these four buttons. Carrying it in my pocket, I find that these buttons are accidentally engaged all the time. So I guess an app with user configurable settings is what's really needed.

But don't get me wrong. The way it works now is a lot better than nothing.
    I second this request. The top power button is sort of awkard to get to in a hurry. It would be nice to have the option to enable the 4 app buttons (either all together or better yet only the ones you want.

Great work however. Keep up the good work.
    Great work so far. Of all the "spacebar auto-answer fixes" that have cropped up over the last few days, this is my favorite as it also takes care of the keypress ringer silence issue.

If I had a vote for future enhancements, I'd ask for the option to allow the center button to answer calls.

Also, it appears that it doesn't yet survive a soft reset. Any chance of a "re-enable?" dialog box after a reset?

eKennedy
    are you kidding me? what have we come to in this worls today when "the top button is too far away & cannot be gotten to in a hurry"?!!!! are you serious? how much extra time are you saving if you hit the center button instead of the top power button. man some of these requests are getting out of hand. you guys are lazy!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Yes, I know about the soft reset issue -- it hasn't been a problem for me, but I'll take a look.

And I am adding options for the "hard keys" and the "d-pad" although I won't personally be using that -- I like it the way it is!

My favorite feature is that unlike all the other "spacebar auto-answer" fixes, mine keeps the keyboard disabled while snappermail wakes up the Treo to pick up email.
    --jaslo
    Originally posted by jaslo
    ...that locks out all keys when the Treo is turned off (with the power button) UNTIL IT IS TURNED ON AGAIN using the power button. YOU MUST DISABLE KEYGUARD for this to work properly.
    Automatic power off (after 1 minute on my Treo 600) engages KeepOff. I understood that it is only engaged when using the Power Button at the top. Did I get that wrong?
    *** GREAT UTILITY ****

Thank you Jaslo for the spacebar fix. I would also like the to have the option for the "hardkeys or D Pad".

"Never under estimate the ingenuity of the Palm User Community."

Thanks again...
    Can someone advise how i can download this? I tried jason's link by all i get is a page full of garbled text!

Thanks, Brian
    Yes, I know about the soft reset issue -- it hasn't been a problem for me, but I'll take a look.

And I am adding options for the "hard keys" and the "d-pad" although I won't personally be using that -- I like it the way it is!

My favorite feature is that unlike all the other "spacebar auto-answer" fixes, mine keeps the keyboard disabled while snappermail wakes up the Treo to pick up email.
    Thanks Jaslo! I tried PhoneGuard today: Didn't take long to remove it and re-enable Keepoff. Great little piece of work.
    Bob Meyer
    Could you maybe talk to geakware and see about incorporating the disabling of the keys into the phoneguard app or vice versa?

Right now, the combination of boths these apps is the right idea. Actually, you have your part down, except for the ability to choose which buttons you want to disable (this is my plug to have the option to enable the center d-pad button for answering phone calls).

Also the ability to have the screen shut off after a certain amount of time during a call is the best feature yet of phoneguard.

Congratulations on making your first real treo 600 app...looking forward to future versions!

digidep
    it's in prefs...under keyguard...

digidep
    Originally posted by ACDriver
    Call me stupid. And I sure someone will. But I can't find the keyguard function under preferences in the phone settings. Preferences somewhere else? Keep in mind I have 3 days experience with a Palm device.

Thanks.
    Not in phone settings.. You need to go into the Preferences app. Look in the built-in launcher and you will see "Prefs" listed either by icon or list, depending on how you have it configured. Tap it. Then pull down the drop-down menu in upper right and find "keyguard."

Hi Jaslo:

Using yr program and it's working fine (took me a second to find out your file is only downloadable using Windows os - i'm a Mac user). Anyways, appreciate yr work and trust you'll continue to hv great stuff for us treo 600 lovers.

Like some others, I also wd appreciate if you can develop an option to use the D-pad's center button to answer calls. Looking forward to it.

Again, super job!

Brian
    What's the cost of this app?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    it's currently free...
    How is this different than Disable Buttons 2.1?

Ken
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast