Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    disable buttons only works when the palm is off.

let's say you get a call and the screen turns on...disable buttons is no longer active which means that you can accidently answer/shut ringer off with the press of certain buttons.

Keepoff disables the buttons until you touch the screen, so when that call comes in and the phone is in your pocket or case, it is not accidently answered.

we are waiting patiently hoping for an update to this which allows the ability to choose what buttons to disable instead of all. (especially the center d-pad so it can be used to answer calls), but never the less does the job.

digidep
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Here's where I'm at on this.
    I have added the capability of selecting the dpad and hard keys separately, but I'm not sure if all keys should be enabled after those events. If the Treo were in your pocket and the dpad was not disabled, an accidental keypress would enable all the other keys. One thing I tried was to make the keys only enable the device if the display is on -- this fixes the phone answer problem (with the center button), but behaves strangely with the hard keys.

Also, I'm having trouble making keepoff survive a soft reset

I tried to handle the sysAppLaunchCmdSystemReset launch command by loading the preferences, but it ends up hanging the Treo. On the simulator it works great, though!!!

If anyone wants to see the code and help me, I'm more than happy to share it, on the condition that the utility is made freely available and not sold.
    --jaslo
    Originally posted by jaslo
    locks out all keys when the Treo is turned off (with the power button) UNTIL IT IS TURNED ON AGAIN using the power button. YOU MUST DISABLE KEYGUARD for this to work properly.
    Hi,

Turning ON using the Wireless ON/OFF Power button on top works but I do not seem to be able to use the screen on/off
    hard button (rightmost) to turn the Treo ON.
    Is that the way the program works or is that anomalous?

i.e. is it true to say that I can use only the Power button on top of the unit to turn the Treo on again after the keys are locked out
    and I cannot use the screen on/off button to turn on the unit?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    That is correct -- only the hard power button on top works when the display is off.

When the Treo wakes up through an alert or incoming phone call, the keys will also be locked out, until a screen tap or the power button is pressed.
    --jaslo
    Hey Jaslo,
    If you have a beta to tryout with just an option for the center button to answer calls, but nothing else added, I'd like to give it a try.

Any other features would be nice, but are not that important to me personally.

Thanks,
    eKennedy
    I would be interested in trying the version with the center button answer feature also. That is the only thing stopping me from trying this.
    I'm curious... why not make which keys turn on/off as a user option? Sorta like "Disable Buttons", but with support for the keyboard and dpad.
    With so many different tastes & opinions, this can only be a good thing.
    Originally posted by eKennedy
    Hey Jaslo,
    If you have a beta to tryout with just an option for the center button to answer calls, but nothing else added, I'd like to give it a try.

Any other features would be nice, but are not that important to me personally.

Thanks,
    eKennedy
    I for one agree. Having such a good free utility is already a BIG favor to all of us using cases to hold the 600. I've been using keepoff for 2 wks now and it works fine. If just making the D-pad answer calls wd make this utility perfect!

I think we should be appreciative of what we have, and not keep on asking for more.... otherwise, we'll end up having people quitting (like treoessentials' Derek) or having to be charged for every fix that comes up voluntarily. Afterall, we're lucky enough to hv engineers coming up w/ solutions that are free.

Brian
    I am interested in buying Keepoff but on Jaslo's web site, I only see PhoneGuard. Where I can donwload/buy Keepoff, or both are the same produc?

TIA
    Alriv
    PhoneGuard isn't from Jaslo, it's from GeakWare. A totally different person / company.

There's a link to keepoff further up in this thread somewhere.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Thanks meyerweb.
    Alriv
    Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I have gone to prefereneces, selected Keyguard and deactivated it. I have turned off the phone completely "Goodbye" I try to make a call to my phone from a landline and go directly to voice mail, to not pass Go, do not collect $200.00.

Is this how the program is supposed to work? I need a program that wakes the phone when snappermail or an incomng phone call appear but no matter how te phone jiggles and dances in my pnants it will not turn the damn thing on or auto-answer (most embarasing: i was making love with my partner with the phone non the nightstand in its Vaja case and it turned on not merely on but to speaker phone and the secretary got the shock of her life.

Is there a program that does what I want? If so is this one it and am I just screwing setting it up some way?

Thanks tonnes,

Jai
    Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I have gone to prefereneces, selected Keyguard and deactivated it. I have turned off the phone completely "Goodbye" I try to make a call to my phone from a landline and go directly to voice mail, to not pass Go, do not collect $200.00.

Is this how the program is supposed to work? I need a program that wakes the phone when snappermail or an incomng phone call appear but no matter how te phone jiggles and dances in my pnants it will not turn the damn thing on or auto-answer (most embarasing: i was making love with my partner with the phone non the nightstand in its Vaja case and it turned on not merely on but to speaker phone and the secretary got the shock of her life.

Is there a program that does what I want? If so is this one it and am I just screwing setting it up some way?

Thanks tonnes,

Jai
    1. have you downloaded keepoff?
    2. have you installed keepoff?
    3. If you have done 1 and 2 just click on the keepoff icon and check the enable button and you will not have any more accidental answers.

digidep
    Originally posted by JaiAlberto
    Jai
    I'm afraid you have a fundamental misunderstanding of both how the Treo works and what Keepoff is supposed to do. First, when you turn the phone off ("Goodbye"), the entire radio section of the phone is off. Nothing that relies on wireless reception will work. Doing that is the equivilent of turning a regular cell phone to "off." If it's off, the cell phone system doesn't even know the phone is there. You'll get no phone calls, pages, SMS's, emails or anything else.

And poor little Keepoff can't do anything about incoming calls either, since with the phone off it never "sees" any incoming calls.

What keepoff WILL do, and quite thoroughly in my experience. is address this part of your post:

Originally posted by JaiAlberto
    but no matter how te phone jiggles and dances in my pnants it will not turn the damn thing on or auto-answer (most embarasing: i was making love with my partner with the phone non the nightstand in its Vaja case and it turned on not merely on but to speaker phone and the secretary got the shock of her life.

If the phone is turned ON, Keepoff will prevent any of the keys from answering the phone, silencing the ringer, calling China, or interrupting your sex life. With Keepoff enabled, the only way to activate the keyboard is to first tap on the screen.

That means Keepoff is not totally ***** proof. If the phone rings, and something puts pressure on the screen, the keyboard becomes active. And if something then presses the space or enter keys, the phone will answer. But you've got to have SOME way to answer the phone when you want to, so I don't see any easy way around this.

BTW, I don't buy the phone turning itself on to speaker phone. Not for a minute. Good story though.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Keepoff now includes conditional disable for the center button and the hard keys.

download at:

keepoff2.prc

Keepoff still does NOT survive a soft reset (or hard reset for that matter).

To install keepoff2, you should (probably) delete keepoff from your Treo first.
    If keepoff will not delete, you may need to soft-reset first.
    If you use keepoff a lot, you may want to make sure you have the old one on hand (just in case!), or it can be re-downloaded from keepoff.prc

As always, your feedback is appreciated!
    If all goes well, I'll put this up on palmgear.
    --jaslo
    jaslo,

well, i have a CDMA treo and the new version two doesn't allow the d-pad to work with the lock d-pad unchecked. The app buttons lock/unlock works with the check of their button.

Getting closer, now if we can just get that d-pad working and then maybe a seperate option for the app buttons:

O Lock Phone Button
    O Lock Calendar Button
    O Lock Email Button
    O Lock Power Button

Though i would rather like the d-pad to be enabled first than the option for seperate app buttons.

I'm willing to try a new version if you change the code around, just PM me.

Maybe you can talk to Jeff Ishaq (jishaq), the author of vol keys, to get the enable after a soft reset code. He just recently added this feature to his app (which is also free).

digidep
    I've also got a cdma phone and the new version works for me, at least the d-pad part. I didn't test the app buttons.

If I check "enable" and "lock app buttons" and leave "lock d-pad center" unchecked, then the d-pad button answers calls, but nothing else does.

All I'd need now is a popup to re-enable after a reset.

Jaslo, great work, and let us know if you've got a PayPal account we can send donations to.

eKennedy
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    The D-pad option is just for the center button only.
    Is that not working correctly?
    --jaslo
    jaslo,

sorry, i need to stop smoking crack. the center d-pad button works.

EDIT: well the center button works "sometimes", i'd say one out of five or so. will get back to you after a few days of use.

digidep
    Last edited by digidep; 01/31/2004 at 05:20 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast