Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone.

I've created a new utility called PhoneGuard for Treo 600 smartphones that prevents the space, return and backspace keys from answering or ignoring incoming phone calls. It also has a feature to automatically turn of the screen after an incoming call is answered. PhoneGuard is not a patch or a hack. It is a complete application and should be very simple to install and use.

I have decided to make PhoneGuard a shareware application. However, only the screen auto-off feature will stop working after the trial period ends. This means that the portion that prevents the space, return and backspace keys from affecting incoming calls will continue to work indefinitely, and is effectively free.

I have only tested the utility on my Sprint CDMA Treo 600, so I'm curious to know if it works properly on the GSM phones. I'm willing to give free registration keys to the first two or three GSM owners who contact me to try out the beta.

The beta can be downloaded from my website. Alternatively, if you're reading this thread on your Treo 600, you can go to the mobile edition of my website to get the beta.

Please let me know how the utility works for you and if there's anything you'd like me to improve.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    That's great, thanks!!!
    Dominique
    Seems to work just fine. I like the fact that its not a hack or patch as well. Not sure how usefull the phone screen off feature except for on long calls, esp since if you turn the screen back on during the call, it won't go back off.
    Works great with my Sprint 600!!!!!!!!

The screen off feature is great too, but as mentioned above, it would be great if the screen turned back off again after turning back on during a call.
    Last edited by SprintTreoUser; 01/25/2004 at 02:30 AM.
    Geoff:

Tried it but it does not work on my GSM treo 600 (unlocked version). Any chances of a GSM fix?

Brian

Originally posted by geakware
    Hi everyone.

I've created a new utility called PhoneGuard for Treo 600 smartphones that prevents the space, return and backspace keys from answering or ignoring incoming phone calls. It also has a feature to automatically turn of the screen after an incoming call is answered. PhoneGuard is not a patch or a hack. It is a complete application and should be very simple to install and use.

I have decided to make PhoneGuard a shareware application. However, only the screen auto-off feature will stop working after the trial period ends. This means that the portion that prevents the space, return and backspace keys from affecting incoming calls will continue to work indefinitely, and is effectively free.

I have only tested the utility on my Sprint CDMA Treo 600, so I'm curious to know if it works properly on the GSM phones. I'm willing to give free registration keys to the first two or three GSM owners who contact me to try out the beta.

The beta can be downloaded from my website. Alternatively, if you're reading this thread on your Treo 600, you can go to the mobile edition of my website to get the beta.

Please let me know how the utility works for you and if there's anything you'd like me to improve.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    Hi everyone.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    >Doesn't worj on my GSM T600. Results in a constant reset loop. Needed to hard reset and restore from backup!
    --
    Manfred
    The screen switch off feature DOES work, but only partially. The screen turns off for received calls but does not for placed calls. I have a GSM Treo 600.
    Treo 600 GSM
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by zgraff
    The screen switch off feature DOES work, but only partially. The screen turns off for received calls but does not for placed calls. I have a GSM Treo 600.
    Thanks to all the GSM users who've reported their experiences. I'm looking into adding a feature to turn off the screen whan an outgoing call is placed. I'll also look at allowing the screen to turn back off after it has been turned on again as well. Hopefully I have something new to post soon.
    Works great.....

One issue, the option key still silences the ringer.

Thanks to all the GSM users who've reported their experiences. I'm looking into adding a feature to turn off the screen whan an outgoing call is placed. I'll also look at allowing the screen to turn back off after it has been turned on again as well. Hopefully I have something new to post soon.
    If one has a GSM Treo 600 with FW 2.08 or higher, then carkit.prc is installed in ROM. This allows the Treo 600 to be used in the Handspring car kit. This file forces the display to stay on, during a call, no matter what. Absolutely no 3rd-party SW will work to keep the display off: not 'sleep', 'sandman', 'OffIt' and any other app or launcher (I've tried them all), because carkit.prc overides them all. (There are other threads on this.)

PhoneGuard has the same problem. And since forthcoming Treos will be released with firmware versions of 2.10 or higher (according to the cheif engineer of the car kit at Handspring, with whom I have spoken), all Treo 600s will have carkit.prcs in ROM, whether or not it is used in a car kit. It doesn't matter if the Treo is the car kit or not, the problem is universal.

If you have preformed a FW upgrade (2.08 or 2.09), then you already have the file in ROM and you will see that you CANNOT keep the display of during a call, no matter what you do. I say this because those of us with FW 2.08 or higher will eventually blame Geoff's utility, though the problem will not be fixable unless PhoneGuard can address this file aggressively.

The same problem can be reproduced even if you have FW versions lower than 2.08. You can download the carkit.prc file from the Handspring website, install it into RAM, and it will still force the display to be on during any call.

Geoff:

I have the optimistic sense that you may be able to overide carkit.prc. I hope, hope, hope, you can, because that nuclear display during a phone call drives me (and many others) just nuts. Please, please. please...
    Last edited by elysian9; 01/27/2004 at 12:11 AM.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by mani_lx

>Doesn't worj on my GSM T600. Results in a constant reset loop. Needed to hard reset and restore from backup!
    Sorry for the trouble. I'm glad you had a backup to restore from! I probably should have stated in my original post that this is beta software, so anyone who installs it does so at their own risk and should not be surprised by resets. I advise everyone to backup their data before trying the beta.

Having said that, I've just posted a new beta version I believe will resolve this problem. If you're still willing, please try it and let me know if you continue to experience reset loops.
  12.    #12  
    I've posted a new beta version at my website. You can download it here or from the mobile edition of my site.

This new version turns the screen off after placing outgoing calls. It also fixes a problem with potential resets when answering a phone call.

I'm looking at some of the other suggested features now, so stay tuned.

Thanks,
    Geoff Akens
    As I was saying regarding PG and carkit.prc, this is a more serious issue than I thought.

If you were to test the Screen Off function of PG and then recieve a call and watch PG try to fight carkit.prc to keep the phone on, then if you go to PG to disable this feature, you will cause TELT (that endless loop thing) and requiring a hard rest. Thank goodness for BackUpMan.

So, do NOT use PG Screen Off if you have a GSM FW 1.08 or higher.

error log is:

...1SRC/GSMStartup.cLine:204, GSMLinInstall - SysNotifyRegister failed
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by elysian9
    As I was saying regarding PG and carkit.prc, this is a more serious issue than I thought.

If you were to test the Screen Off function of PG and then recieve a call and watch PG try to fight carkit.prc to keep the phone on, then if you go to PG to disable this feature, you will cause TELT (that endless loop thing) and requiring a hard rest. Thank goodness for BackUpMan.

So, do NOT use PG Screen Off if you have a GSM FW 1.08 or higher.

error log is:

...1SRC/GSMStartup.cLine:204, GSMLinInstall - SysNotifyRegister failed
    elysian9,

I'm not sure the endless loop problem was caused by carkit.prc. I discovered a bug in the original beta that could cause this. Can you download the new beta and see if it exhibits the same problem?

Thanks,
    Geoff

elysian9,

I'm not sure the endless loop problem was caused by carkit.prc. I discovered a bug in the original beta that could cause this. Can you download the new beta and see if it exhibits the same problem?

Thanks,
    Geoff
    Ok. Got the new version. Not getting TELT it seems, but carkit.prc is a very tough customer. It's still winning the battle.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by elysian9

If one has a GSM Treo 600 with FW 1.08 or higher, then carkit.prc is installed in ROM. This allows the Treo 600 to be used in the Handspring car kit. This file forces the display to stay on, during a call, no matter what. Absolutely no 3rd-party SW will work to keep the display off: not 'sleep', 'sandman', 'OffIt' and any other app or launcher (I've tried them all), because carkit.prc overides them all. (There are other threads on this.)

PhoneGuard has the same problem. And since forthcoming Treos will be released with firmware versions of 1.10 or higher (according to the cheif engineer of the car kit at Handspring, with whom I have spoken), all Treo 600s will have carkit.prcs in ROM, whether or not it is used in a car kit. It doesn't matter if the Treo is the car kit or not, the problem is universal.

If you have preformed a FW upgrade (1.08 or 1.09), then you already have the file in ROM and you will see that you CANNOT keep the display of during a call, no matter what you do. I say this because those of us with FW 1.08 or higher will eventually blame Geoff's utility, though the problem will not be fixable unless PhoneGuard can address this file aggressively.

The same problem can be reproduced even if you have FW versions lower than 1.08. You can download the carkit.prc file from the Handspring website, install it into RAM, and it will still force the display to be on during any call.

Geoff:

I have the optimistic sense that you may be able to overide carkit.prc. I hope, hope, hope, you can, because that nuclear display during a phone call drives me (and many others) just nuts. Please, please. please...
    elysian9,

I just checked the Handspring website to get the carkit.prc file. Unfortunately, no version is available for the Sprint phones. Fortunately, this means Sprint users won't have this problem right now. However, it also means I can't directly debug this problem, since I don't have a GSM phone. Can I send you a custom version of PhoneGuard to test when I have something ready to try?

BTW, thanks for your optimism concerning my ability to address this problem. I only hope I can live up to your expectations.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens

elysian9,

I just checked the Handspring website to get the carkit.prc file. Unfortunately, no version is available for the Sprint phones. Fortunately, this means Sprint users won't have this problem right now. However, it also means I can't directly debug this problem, since I don't have a GSM phone. Can I send you a custom version of PhoneGuard to test when I have something ready to try?

BTW, thanks for your optimism concerning my ability to address this problem. I only hope I can live up to your expectations.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    Of course. I think you already have my email address. I do hope you can resolve this. (You could try a Treo 600 simulator.)

Many thanks.

elysian9,

Thanks,
    Geoff
    Well... tried a few more test soft resets. TELT everytime. Possible conflict with VolKeys. Just don't know.
    The outgoing call screen off works, but I dont think the timer is the same as what is set in the options.

Still would be nice to have it go out again after you turn the screen back on.

The option key call mute should also be an option to enable/disable in the app too.

Thanks for the fix, though. It will be nice to use my case again.

Oh, FYI, I have the Sprint CDMA version.
    Thanks for a great app!

Didn't realize I needed it until this week when I accidentally called 3 people with my phone in my phone case.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast