Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone.

I've created a new utility called PhoneGuard for Treo 600 smartphones that prevents the space, return and backspace keys from answering or ignoring incoming phone calls. It also has a feature to automatically turn of the screen after an incoming call is answered. PhoneGuard is not a patch or a hack. It is a complete application and should be very simple to install and use.

I have decided to make PhoneGuard a shareware application. However, only the screen auto-off feature will stop working after the trial period ends. This means that the portion that prevents the space, return and backspace keys from affecting incoming calls will continue to work indefinitely, and is effectively free.

I have only tested the utility on my Sprint CDMA Treo 600, so I'm curious to know if it works properly on the GSM phones. I'm willing to give free registration keys to the first two or three GSM owners who contact me to try out the beta.

The beta can be downloaded from my website. Alternatively, if you're reading this thread on your Treo 600, you can go to the mobile edition of my website to get the beta.

Please let me know how the utility works for you and if there's anything you'd like me to improve.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    Wow... a 2-in-1 utility!! Awesome! I'm definitely gonna try it out right now!

Thanks!!
    Woo-hoo! It works on my Sprint T600! When I get an incoming call and hit one of the 3 keys (spacebar, return, and backspace), it doesn't answer or ignore the call AND the ringer/vibrate keeps going (it doesn't mute it)! Plus, the screen goes off automatically after x amount of seconds! I no longer need the inconsistent Sandman anymore!

Thank you soo much, Geoff! This is one great utility! But what will make it the super-duper utility is if you can set up an option to disable the ability to mute calls. Currently, pressing any keys (except the 3 special keys) mutes the ringer/vibrate of an incoming call. Many people have complained about this too. So if you can implement this fix, that would make it complete!

I'm definitely gonna purchase PhoneGuard!
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by TR30
    Woo-hoo! It works on my Sprint T600! When I get an incoming call and hit one of the 3 keys (spacebar, return, and backspace), it doesn't answer or ignore the call AND the ringer/vibrate keeps going (it doesn't mute it)! Plus, the screen goes off automatically after x amount of seconds! I no longer need the inconsistent Sandman anymore!

Thank you soo much, Geoff! This is one great utility! But what will make it the super-duper utility is if you can set up an option to disable the ability to mute calls. Currently, pressing any keys (except the 3 special keys) mutes the ringer/vibrate of an incoming call. Many people have complained about this too. So if you can implement this fix, that would make it complete!

I'm glad you like it! I'll see what I can do about your additional suggestion, though I can make no promises at this point.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens

ditto here. nice work!
    yep.
    Originally posted by geakware

... I'm curious to know if it works properly on the GSM phones. I'm willing to give free registration keys to the first two or three GSM owners who contact me to try out the beta.
    Wow, Geoff, simplicity is a beautiful thing, indeed! Works as advertised! No problems yet. You can email (elysium@pacbell.net) a reg code, if still available, or PM/email me so we can chat. Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by elysian9

Wow, Geoff, simplicity is a beautiful thing, indeed! Works as advertised! No problems yet. You can email (elysium@pacbell.net) a reg code, if still available, or PM/email me so we can chat. Thanks.
    You're lucky number three, so I'm happy to send you a registration key. I'll PM you with the details sometime later, probably tomorrow. Right now, I need some sleep.
    Geak..

Not bad. Seems to handle the spacebar answer problem quite nicely. As far as the screen off portion though... well I am left wanting.

Nice for incoming calls but what about when we make a call? I cant believe I am the only one that would want the screen to shut off then too. And the time to off options? 1, 5 , or 10? How about letting us decide. I might want that screen on for 30 sec or 19. Can it be made to accept user input? up to a certain point of course. say 60 sec max.

Also, if the screen shuts off with a call and I get a call waiting call will it shut off at that point as well or is it just one shot?

Good work. Actually nice to see someone attacking this issue. It may end up worth buying.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Originally posted by Woof
    Geak..

Not bad. Seems to handle the spacebar answer problem quite nicely. As far as the screen off portion though... well I am left wanting.

Nice for incoming calls but what about when we make a call? I cant believe I am the only one that would want the screen to shut off then too. And the time to off options? 1, 5 , or 10? How about letting us decide. I might want that screen on for 30 sec or 19. Can it be made to accept user input? up to a certain point of course. say 60 sec max.

Also, if the screen shuts off with a call and I get a call waiting call will it shut off at that point as well or is it just one shot?

Good work. Actually nice to see someone attacking this issue. It may end up worth buying.

Woof
    I second Woof's suggestion. The auto screen shut-off doesn't work when making the call, only works when receiving the call. Would be nice to have it work both ways.

Also, I noticed the 3 keys don't stay disabled for call waiting calls. You can answer them with the spacebar and return key.

But Phone Guard is still great for its first debut. I'm no longer afraid to use some of my other cases.
  10.    #10  

I second Woof's suggestion. The auto screen shut-off doesn't work when making the call, only works when receiving the call. Would be nice to have it work both ways.

Also, I noticed the 3 keys don't stay disabled for call waiting calls. You can answer them with the spacebar and return key.

But Phone Guard is still great for its first debut. I'm no longer afraid to use some of my other cases.
    Thanks to everyone for all of the great feedback! I'm looking into the issues you've raised and hope to have something new to post soon.
  11.    #11  
    I've posted a new beta version at my website. You can download it here or from the mobile edition of my site.

This new version turns the screen off after placing outgoing calls. It also fixes a problem with potential resets when answering a phone call.

I'm looking at some of the other suggested features now, so stay tuned.

Thanks,
    Geoff Akens
    Pardon me but what is your app suppose to do?

If it is to allow the t600 to anwer calls with space bar or the return key when keyguard is on, my phone already does thqt on it's own. ???
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    Pardon me but what is your app suppose to do?

If it is to allow the t600 to anwer calls with space bar or the return key when keyguard is on, my phone already does thqt on it's own. ???
    You've got it backwards. PhoneGuard prevents the space key and return key from answering calls. It also prevents the backspace key from ignoring calls and can turn off the screen after a preset delay.

PhoneGuard is useful if you don't want to accidentally answer a call before you've had a chance to see who's calling. It's especially useful for those who carry the phone in their pocket or have a case that can bump the space key.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    Just wanted to let you know I have a cmda phone on sprint network and this works great thanks for the effort you put into this
    One thing I have noticed is that if you press on the case hard enough to press any of the other keys it will stop the ringer but does'nt answer the phone so you could still miss a call, is there a way to disable all the keys till you press the answer button
    Originally posted by geakware
    I've posted a new beta version at my website. You can download it here or from the mobile edition of my site.

This new version turns the screen off after placing outgoing calls. It also fixes a problem with potential resets when answering a phone call.

I'm looking at some of the other suggested features now, so stay tuned.

Thanks,
    Geoff Akens
    Nice! Great work, Geoff! Looking forward to seeing an option that could disable keys from muting calls.
    Great app Geoff! I especially like how it is an app and not a hack or a patch. However, I have one request (recommendation) before I consider purchasing it... I would like to see your app turn off the Phone screen after leaving the Phone app and then returning once more to the Phone app. If this feature were to be added, then I feel I would buy your app.
  18.    #18  

Looking forward to seeing an option that could disable keys from muting calls.
    This is one of the features I'm investigating. I hope to have someting soon, but am looking at some other issues first.

Geoff
    geakware,

How does one buy your utility, PhoneGuard? I don't see it on www.geakware.com, but I do see it on your mobile version of your site. It's advertised as $8.99, but when I click on BUY and put in my Hot Sync ID, it thinks I wanna buy the Utility Pack and charging me $17.98. I just wanna get Phone Guard.

Please advise.
  20.    #20  
    geakware,

How does one buy your utility, PhoneGuard? I don't see it on www.geakware.com, but I do see it on your mobile version of your site. It's advertised as $8.99, but when I click on BUY and put in my Hot Sync ID, it thinks I wanna buy the Utility Pack and charging me $17.98. I just wanna get Phone Guard.

Please advise.
    Sorry about that. The site hasn't been fully updated yet. I just fixed the problem with the 'Buy' button on the mobile site though, so you should be able to make a purchase and get your key.

Let me know if you continue to have problems and I'll be sure to take care of it.

Geoff
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast