Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone using their Treo to monitor their home alarm status and control things such as temperature of the house? What hardware and software is available to do this?
    Sure.

I used HomeSeer (http://www.homeseer.com) which presents a web interface to your home. There's an example of one here:

http://24.62.225.177:8000

HomeSeer controls X10 devices as well as Z-Wave, a newer, RF-Based control system.
    I use MisterHouse (http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/) for home automation / monitoring. You can access it over the web, but it uses frames and it's a little messy with the Treo. I'm going to play around with it and create a mobile site.
    I use HAL 2000. The web interface is a little messy on the 160x160 screen, but it still works. Also provides a way to get images of my house cameras on the Treo. They say that a PDA friendly interface will be available "real soon now".
    I also use HomeSeer and the default HomeSeer web screens work quite well on the Treo 600. I have my web-cams posting pictures every 5 minutes and can select any few from the cameras that I like. It is very easy to turn lights and appliances on and off from the web screen on the Treo 600. The nice thing about HomeSeer, is that the web screen also allows me to access, view, and reply to my home e-mail. HomeSeer builds in a MAPI connection to your home e-mail and displays it within a web based e-mail screen. For $79.99, it was a great investment.

James
    I am intrigued by these tools. How does one get to control light at appliances at home remotely? DO you need to purchase special lights and appliances? What appliances can you control?

Originally posted by JamesKeys
    I also use HomeSeer and the default HomeSeer web screens work quite well on the Treo 600. I have my web-cams posting pictures every 5 minutes and can select any few from the cameras that I like. It is very easy to turn lights and appliances on and off from the web screen on the Treo 600. The nice thing about HomeSeer, is that the web screen also allows me to access, view, and reply to my home e-mail. HomeSeer builds in a MAPI connection to your home e-mail and displays it within a web based e-mail screen. For $79.99, it was a great investment.

James
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Originally posted by yardie
    I am intrigued by these tools. How does one get to control light at appliances at home remotely?
    You will need one of the programs mentioned on this thread in conjunction with a home automation system.

DO you need to purchase special lights and appliances?
    Not at all. Just one of the programs previously mentioned and a home automation system. You can find some at the following link: http://www.x10.com/automation/homeautomation.htm

I've been using the IBM Home Director Kit that came with my Aptiva back in 1996. Works great.

What appliances can you control?
    Lamps, tv's, stereos, coffee makers...the possibilities are endless.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Is there a good site out there that compares these products?
    Hello,

I just wanted to mention a free upgrade to HomeSeer that gives you the display you need. There is a free plugin available called "TouchPad". This plugin has a few "skins" that adjust the display to different screens, including PDA's. To try it do:

Download a free trial of the software from www.homeseer.com/downloads

Once the software is installed, select "Updates" from the HomeSeer "Help" menu. Follow the prompts until a list of updates is displayed. Select the latest version of the TouchPad plugin, and install. When HomeSeer re-starts, go into the HomeSeer options, Interfaces tab, and enable the TouchPad as an installed Interface. Restart HomeSeer, then select the TouchPad config from the TouchPad menu. Select the "PocketPC" skin. Make sure the HomeSeer web server is enabled in the HomeSeer options, web server tab. Now browse to your PC's IP address and you will get a nicely formatted display to control lights, appliances, and even control Windows Media Player 9. Hope this helps.

Regards,

-Rich
    I'm really interested in maybe hooking up a video camera to monitor my home but will settle for still pictures.

Would a camera need to be hooked up to a computer or could the camera run independently?

Thanks
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 02/07/2004 at 09:28 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    If you want the camera images integrated with the HomeSeer website, you need to connect the camera to your computer. This means you only need to connect to one server (one IP address). Makes router configuration easier and gives you a single access point.

You can get standalone cameras that have web servers built into them. This way you can connect to the camera directly. The drawback here is that you would need to enter the IP address of each camera. If you use a router at home, you only have a single IP address, so you would need to put each camera on a different port. Also, these cameras stream the video, so they might not display properly on a low bandwidth connection.

-Rich
    Thanks RJH,

Good to know the ins and outs before one jumps in.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Just wanted to add a comment here. Although this isn't a full blown home monitoring app, I thought I should mention Fireproducer Desktop that stream live wireless video to your Treo! Thus you could actually setup various cameras around your house and using Fireproducer stream the feed directly to your Treo 24/7! Seems like a great solution for live remote video surveillance on your Treo....
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/09/2004 at 07:30 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    gFunk-

Have you tried out the FireProducer Desktop software yet? I'd love to, but they don't seem to have a demo. They do offer a 30 day money back guarantee, but I like to try before I buy...
    wow...
    Originally posted by grim02
    gFunk-

Have you tried out the FireProducer Desktop software yet? I'd love to, but they don't seem to have a demo. They do offer a 30 day money back guarantee, but I like to try before I buy...
    Nope, I haven't tried the Desktop producer yet, but I have tested the streaming video on my Sprint Treo600 and it works pretty well! You can test it out by downloading the trial of Fireviewer and then streaming a live feed from the Firepad HQ from here...

It seems like a great way to stream live video feeds to a Treo600...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I use Palm Video 2.0 for live streaming video right to your treo 600. Works great..

Palm Video Server
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=53459

Plam Video Client
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=52973
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I have downloaded both demo apps from palm gear and before I purchase I want to see it work for at least 5 secs like the demo claims. I am having trouble connecting though, any advice. My web cam feed is showing and I am showing a very common IP address... 192....etc... and a common port number... everytime i try to connect using the palm software it is not able to connect. do i need to turn off a firewall or something in windows network prefs? thanks
    Are you using a router? (ex: Linksys)

If not then you need to allow access to that machine using that port 1033 (Palm Server Video default)

If youíre using a router you can do either

Recommended way:
    Enable port forwarding.
    In your router configuration enable port forwarding of port 1033 (Palm Video Server default) to forward it to the ip address of the machine running palm video server. (I would recommend you put a static IP on that machine incase it changes)

Not recommended
    DMZ
    Setup the machine running Palm Video Server into the DMZ. This opens that machine up to allow all access to it.. Not the way to go but if you canít get port forwarding working then try this
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast