1.    #1  
    So I'm selling my friend's Treo 600 on eBay (not a plug), but I've been getting several questions about it. Some are relatively benign, although I would think people should know these answers if they're trying to buy the Treo 600, but some are from out of the country.

I'm wondering if there is a scam or something going on because they've asked that I take a credit card outside of PayPal because PayPal doesn't have their country registered. It's mainly from two places, Indonesia and Malaysia. Are those areas even CDMA? And then, would they even be able to use a SprintPCS CDMA phone in their networks? Even if I could process a credit card on my own, should I trust this?

me, littlebeancurd
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by littlebeancurd
    So I'm selling my friend's Treo 600 on eBay (not a plug), but I've been getting several questions about it. Some are relatively benign, although I would think people should know these answers if they're trying to buy the Treo 600, but some are from out of the country.

I'm wondering if there is a scam or something going on because they've asked that I take a credit card outside of PayPal because PayPal doesn't have their country registered. It's mainly from two places, Indonesia and Malaysia. Are those areas even CDMA? And then, would they even be able to use a SprintPCS CDMA phone in their networks? Even if I could process a credit card on my own, should I trust this?

me, littlebeancurd
    DO NOT TRUST THIS. AS A POWER SELLER ON EBAY I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, DO NOT TRUST THIS. THESE CRIMINALS ARE USING STOLEN CREDUT CARDS. THEY TARGET HIGH END MERCHANDISE THAT THEY CAN RESELL FOR $$$, LEAVING YOU TO DEAL WITH THE CREDIT CARD COMPANIES.

Be careful with any outside offer you get on ebay. Especially from indonesia.
    Do not take offers from places like Indonesia, Malaysia or Russia to buy computers via credit card. It is a known scam. I sell a fair amount of equipment on Ebay and gets dozens and dozens of these requests. These are hot spots for traffic in stolen CC numbers.
    On the few occasions that I sold items on E-bay I ONLY accepted Paypal as a form of payment.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  6.    #6  
    Thanks all for the heads up. I figured that it might be credit card fraud. Although it seems more like it's happening domestically under the guise of happening internationally. Anyhow, thank you all for the help.

me, littlebeancurd
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Last time when I was selling my GSM Treo 600 on eBay, I was bombarded with all kinds of questions and unbelievable offers from all over the world. A guy from Indonesia offered $300 extra for my already high enough bid amount, and promised extra $250 for accepting a credit card over Paypal. I didn't even bother to reply to his message since it was an obvious scam. I make it a rule to sell within the US only. I have nothing against foreign buyers including Canadian, but there is a higher risk which I mind taking.
    Originally posted by littlebeancurd

me, littlebeancurd
    DO NOT SHIP OUT OF USA !!!

And whatever the buyer says or promises DO NOT send to any other than the confirmed Paypal address.

If you do sell overseas and there's a problem, I assure you that you are on your own. No one, not customs, the post office or even foreign law enforcement will help you.

There are MANY scam artisits in Asia and eastern Europe the specialize in bilking American ebay sellers. They've accumulated millions of dollars doing it.

You're best bet is sell only to those in the US...
    I live overseas and a ebay buyer since they started, always paid with my credit card, I dont have a negative feedback in my account, worst of all my credit card was once cloned in the states in a X restaurant probably by the waiter that attended me or the owner that had processed the card,both are caucasian not Asian this card was used only for traveling and I only used it at that restaurant, one month later I received my card satement with 15000.00 usd billed to it, I cant say that everyone who lives overseas is honest, but remember theres dishonest people like the restaurant owner that attended me which in this case is a US Born citizen dealing with overseas crooks.
  10.    #10  
    Well, I understand very well. I've told anyone whose asked that I'll take an International money order, but was replied to once saying that it's too much hassle to go out and purchase one. Well, I suppose offering a greater sum than the eBay lowest bid is where I become a bit wary. Great if it were true, but too good to be true. Anyhow, it's not that I don't trust overseas purchases, I just will only trust those who will pay on my terms rather than theirs.

me, littlebeancurd
    don't forget Spain- a lot come from there for some reason. typically they want u to western union the money. also they use a fake escrow company. be careful there is a lot of scammers out there who steal accounts too.