1.    #1  
    Wireless Hotsync

You can WIRELESSLY HOTSYNC your TREO 600
    You can WIRELESSLY HOTSYNC your TREO 600!

Here's how... (I just wonder about security, if someone could answer that for me.)

ON YOUR TREO 600 / PALM:
    Click hotsync icon...

HotSync menu
    Options --> Modem Sync Preferences. Choose “Network”
    Options --> LanSync Preferences. Choose “Network”
    Go to Options --> Primary PC Address.
    Set my “Primary PC Name” to "!!" (2 exclamation points with no quotes - anyone know why?).
    Set “Primary PC Address” to the IP address of the computer
    “Subnet Mask” blank

From the hotsync program, switch to modem mode (set network to PCS vision)

ON YOUR COMPUTER:
    Set Hotsync as available for network syncing.

Now you can hotsync wirelessly when you're away from your computer!

(note: hotsync takes several minutes... you may want to change what get's hotsync'd (i.e. disable mail/pictures/etc. from network hotsync)

Security Question???
    My question... I use ZoneAlarm and I allowed hotsync to act as a server. I wonder if this causes a security problem? I know that ZA is still blocking access from other intrutions, though. If anyone can reply to this concern, please let me know.
    I'm using a NAT (network address translation) router/firewall. I don't think this will work with that setup, because the actual address of my PC isn't visible to the internet at all. Oh, well.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    I'm using a NAT (network address translation) router/firewall. I don't think this will work with that setup, because the actual address of my PC isn't visible to the internet at all. Oh, well.
    acording to this classic thread,
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...35d1fe76e.html
    you can just set your router to forward port 14238 to your local PC. Then you need to set your treo to look for the outside IP address of the router (hopefully that is either static or quasi-static).
    I was able to get it to work with NAT, but I had to open port 14238 on my LinkSys. I opened the port here:

http://192.168.1.1/Forward.htm

But beware that there may be exploits (I recall a buffer overflow denial-of-service attack) that try to use this port.
    My wife and I each have a computer behind our router and and our treos are hotsynced with different computers. i got my treo set up and forwarded to mu PC for network hotsync, but my wife's tries to go to my computer as well. Anyone have ideas how to tell the router which treo goes to which computer?

thanks all!
    You would have to try to change the port that her computer HotSyncs on. Otherwise you can only have 1 computer that will accept the wireless HS.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Originally posted by Tavisjohn
    You would have to try to change the port that her computer HotSyncs on. Otherwise you can only have 1 computer that will accept the wireless HS.
    Thanks, I'm trying to figure out how to change her hotsync port. Do you happen to know how?

thanks much!!
    I have never been able to get this to work on my Treo600. Using Sprint.

(1) I had no problems making this work when I had my Treo300.

(2) I know that the port is working and open ... if I telnet to port 14238 from an outside machine, the synch starts up on my desktop

(3) I know that I have the IP address, net masks etc correct. My desktop is on a private DS1 circuit so total control is on our end.

But it just times out, and never connects.

Any ideas to debug this?

David
    the worst part about this is it doesn't work with macs, because hotsync for OS X does not offer network hotsync!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Thanks. I'm not sure I want to open a port and just leave it open. Have to think about this one.
    Originally posted by dutchtrumpet

Thanks, I'm trying to figure out how to change her hotsync port. Do you happen to know how?

thanks much!!
    I have no idea how to change the HotSync Port.

Originally posted by idfdavid
    I have never been able to get this to work on my Treo600. Using Sprint.

But it just times out, and never connects.

Any ideas to debug this?

David
    Well these are the settings I am using, give them a try. (I got this from somehwere else on this board. However I had it set up the same way myself, except the port # and the PC name.) They work for me.

Modem Sync Preferences (Network)
    LNSync Preferences (Local HotSync)
    Primary PC Setup
    Primary PC Name (!!)
    Primary PC Address (000.000.000.000 = Your PC's Internet IP Address, or the IP Address of your router on the WAN side)
    SubNet Mask (Leave Empty)

Then you just choose modem HD and press the center of the screen. It is really slow, but if you are on vacation, it is a lifesaver!
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre