Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1.    #1  
    As many of you may know, you are unable to view several websites (www.palmgear.com, www.dataviz.com, etc.) with Blazer because it redirects you to a PDA formatted page which is essentially nonfunctional.

    I have created a fix, which will allow web pages to think you are browsing from a desktop computer, and hence you will be able to view those sites normally. Just install the attached file to your Treo.

    NOTE: This will only likely work on the SPRINT Treo 600

    For those of you with a GSM Treo and some programming knowledge, here's how I did it:
    -Find the file in ROM called Blazer_SPCS with a Creator ID of BLZ5 and Type cCLb (it may be called something different on the GSM version)
    -Change tSTR 4900 to the following:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 95) ^C;^Wx^H

    Maybe somebody can post the GSM version here when completed...
    Attached Files Attached Files
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by wcarlson40
    Maybe somebody can post the GSM version here when completed...
    Congratulations for finding out this fix!

    For the GSM INT version, the file is called Blazer_CROW(.prc), and for the French Orange version, it is called Blazer_ORFR(.prc).

    You'll find the modified INT GSM version here, which will let you browse PalmGear on your INT GSM Treo (it's the v1.09 ROM, but it should work on other INT GSM ROM versions as well, just let me know if it works/doesn't work). Tested on my Treo, works OK.

    You'll also find the modified Orange France version here. (this one is untested )

    Just hotsync this file to the RAM, and you should be all set. Beware, though, PalmGear is a hell of a "heavy" site, so browsing it without unlimited plan will certainly prove very expensive in the long run!!!

    PS: if anyone has another version of the ROM, please PM me so that I can upload the appropriate version of the file on my site...
    Last edited by euroclie; 01/28/2004 at 10:27 PM.
  3. #3  
    Nice!
  4. #4  
    Great work! I'll add this to my TC Member SW List HERE
  5. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #5  
    It downloads as an "attachment.php" file.....any suggestions?
  6. #6  
    Anyway to make this a on/off feature? I assume there is no GUI and once you change it, it stays that way, correct?
    Thanks,Matt
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by dcpmark
    It downloads as an "attachment.php" file.....any suggestions?
    click on the link to download, its working.
  8. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #8  
    Originally posted by Kelvin0217


    click on the link to download, its working.
    Nope. Still the same for me......I get a message from IE (5.2 for Mac) saying that it doesn't know what to do the file, that the file name is "attachment.php", and then gives me options such as save as is, or find the proper application to try and open it, etc...

    When I save it on my desktop it just comes out as a 4k doc "attachment.php." The link itself is coming up as "http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/attachment.php?s=&postid=313341"
    Last edited by dcpmark; 01/24/2004 at 11:56 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Anyway to make this a on/off feature? I assume there is no GUI and once you change it, it stays that way, correct?
    Thanks,Matt
    There really is no reason to disable it, you can still go to those sites. www.palmgear.com currently directs you to http://www.palmgear.com/palmsized/redirect._pdacell.cfm when using the original setup. I'm not sure why you'd want to go there anyways, because it's basically a worthless link, but if you really want to you can just type in the above link.

    If you really want to remove it, just delete the file you installed and do a soft reset.

    dcpmark - are you able to download other files from TreoCentral? It sounds like a Mac problem to me. You could also try right clicking on the link and going to Save.
  10. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #10  
    Originally posted by wcarlson40


    dcpmark - are you able to download other files from TreoCentral? It sounds like a Mac problem to me. You could also try right clicking on the link and going to Save.
    It may be a Mac thing, but other links so far are not a problem....in fact, the link for the GSM version in the post below your original one works fine. It comes up as "http://euroclie.free.fr/Download/Blazer_CROW-PG.prc" Unfortunately I need the Sprint one, and when I point the cursor at your link, it says "http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/attachment.php?s=&postid=313341"


    UPDATE: Used a different browser (Opera), and it worked fine. Must an IE for Mac problem....
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by wcarlson40


    There really is no reason to disable it, you can still go to those sites. www.palmgear.com currently directs you to http://www.palmgear.com/palmsized/redirect._pdacell.cfm when using the original setup. I'm not sure why you'd want to go there anyways, because it's basically a worthless link, but if you really want to you can just type in the above link.

    If you really want to remove it, just delete the file you installed and do a soft reset.

    dcpmark - are you able to download other files from TreoCentral? It sounds like a Mac problem to me. You could also try right clicking on the link and going to Save.
    If I delete your Blazer_SPCS will Blazer recreate its default version. This is a Rom file no?
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by Murf


    If I delete your Blazer_SPCS will Blazer recreate its default version. This is a Rom file no?
    The original file is in ROM, when you load the modified file in RAM it will use the RAM version, but if you delete it it will use the ROM version again...
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by wcarlson40
    As many of you may know, you are unable to view several websites (www.palmgear.com, www.dataviz.com, etc.) with Blazer because it redirects you to a PDA formatted page which is essentially nonfunctional.

    I have created a fix, which will allow web pages to think you are browsing from a desktop computer, and hence you will be able to view those sites normally. Just install the attached file to your Treo.

    NOTE: This will only likely work on the SPRINT Treo 600

    For those of you with a GSM Treo and some programming knowledge, here's how I did it:
    -Find the file in ROM called Blazer_SPCS with a Creator ID of BLZ5 and Type cCLb (it may be called something different on the GSM version)
    -Change tSTR 4900 to the following:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 95) ^C;^Wx^H

    Maybe somebody can post the GSM version here when completed...


    Very clever.
  14. #14  
    For Cingular versions the file name is Blazer_CNGW. I downloaded the INT version, changed the name, loaded it and it works perfectly. Great find.
  15. #15  
    What happens to other sites (such as this board) that shows up differently on the T600? Are they all formatted in desktop form?
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by Bujin
    What happens to other sites (such as this board) that shows up differently on the T600? Are they all formatted in desktop form?
    It doesn't change the formatting at all. It just keeps the website you are visiting from redirecting you to a PDA formatted/crippled site. Just try it, it won't do anything bad.
  17. #17  
    I was no longer able to download pictures from Sprint's picture mail when I used this. Once I deleted and went back to the original app, I was able to get the pictures again.
  18. #18  
    The GSM International version doesn't seem to work on mine. I have firmware ver. 2.01, software: Treo600-1.05_INT, hardware B. Anyone any ideas? I bought my Treo in Singapore.
  19. sbono13's Avatar
    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    #19  
    Is there a similar mod that would allow the treo to be identified as a wap-only browser? There are a number of sites (like www.etrade.com or www.yes.net) that detect whether you are using a wap browser or an html browser and will serve you a web page accordingly. In many cases, I'd much rather be seeing the concise wap version than the more functional but HUGE html version. Most of the time, the html site is served.
    Last edited by sbono13; 01/26/2004 at 01:15 AM.
  20. #20  
    What your doing here is changing the way Blazer identifies itself to web servers.

    While this may work for the short term, all you are doing is disabling future functionality.

    The issue is not with Blazer rather it's with the sites.

    Go back a couple of years when Netscape was hung up on "Layers" while IE focused on "iframes". If you prevented Netscape from identifying itself many sites would no longer work.

    MSNBC is doing something more and more sites will begin to do. They detect your mobile browser and deliver a version that is less graphic intensive.

    http://www.splashdata.com is another example. Browse on your desktop and you get the expected site. Browse on your treo an you get a mobile optimized version, complete with links to PRCs instead of desktop install files.

    The solution is to email Palmgear, dataviz and all other guilty/lazy sites to get them to adapt and support changing technology.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions