1.    #1  
    Hello everyone -

Just wondering if it is possible to utilize the 256mb SD card in my Treo 600 as something similar to those "USB keys" that are available. I would like to take files back and forth between my work and home PC, without having to email them or use a separate card reader, utilizing just the SD memory in my Treo 600 and the HotSync or a similar application on the desktop. I'm doubting that there is a way for the Treo to present itself as a removeable disk (similar to the way that a USB key device does) when it is in the cradle.

I have tried using the "Add" function of the standard installer tool to drop in the files that I want. But, then when I synchronize, it complains that my Treo does not have applications that handle these types of files. And, thus, it won't install them.

I have used a simple card reader/writer and dropped the files that I want on the card, but then they are not viewable by the Treo 600 in any fashion. At least, I don't know if there is a full-card view of the SD slot....just from within specific applications for specific file types.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Unfortunately, I don't own a T600 yet (damn you Tmobile!), but I have been doing a lot of research in preparation for it changing my life (so long Treo 270, what have you done for me lately?).

Anyway, I wanted to have the same functionality you do, and I've read that Card Export will do it:

Softick Card Export is a Palm OS application and Windows driver pair that allows accessing SD/MMC card inserted into Palm OS device as a logical disk on the Windows desktop.

check out http://www.softick.com/ and you should be in business. good luck.
    I just use a 8in1 card reader. . . windows XP and 2000 have native drivers for it so all I have to do is plug in the reader then plug in the SD card.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I bought a Dazzle SD/MMC card reader for about $30 from CompUSA and it does just as you say. You can just plug it into a USB port and VOILA-- additional disk drive. There are others that are more expensive and they support additional formats like memorystick.

There are no drivers to install and it comes with a cable to connect to the port on your desktop.

The Dazzle itself is quite small and fits in a pocket...plugs directly into the USB port on laptops too.

I use it all the time for exactly what you said and my Treo keeps the SD card warm when I'm not using it for this!

Just preserve all of the Palm-created folders for your apps or music and it will peacefully coexist with the T600 just fine.

P
    I think you two have misunderstood. He said he does NOT want to use an external card reader. He wants to use the T600 as a card reader connected through hotsync. There are TONS of external card readers available.

Again, I would suggest you try Card Export (combination of a Windows Driver and Palm software program) to use the T600 as a card reader itself. Hopefully, you card directly access your SD card while it's still inside your T600 from your PC to transfer files back and forth. Like I said, I haven't used it yet, but plan to...
    The only problem with CardExport is that it requires you to install something on the desktop pc you're syncing to. It would be great if the Treo/SD showed up automatically as a drive. I haven't seen anything that can do that yet.
    While the software described above WILL work, it's hard to recommend using the Treo 600 in this fashion. It's got to have the slowest card write speed of any external device I've ever seen. It's painful to download even one MP3 file. I'd urge you to reconsider using an external card device.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Snappermail supports the transfer of any file to the PDA if you replace the "." before the extension with "^_" and them end the entire file name with ".mail"

So "resume.doc" would be "resume^_doc.mail"

btw, the file is made an attachment in a new email message.

A bit of a hassle, for sure, but a way to get files onto the Treo in their native format.
    Originally posted by thesamurai
    Hello everyone -

I have used a simple card reader/writer and dropped the files that I want on the card, but then they are not viewable by the Treo 600 in any fashion. At least, I don't know if there is a full-card view of the SD slot....just from within specific applications for specific file types.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    I use a card reader exclusively to get non-apps to and from the SD card.

There are several free fileviewers that let you browse the SD card from your treo. This includes Filez and FileCady (my 2 favorites). Shareware options include PocketFolder and nearly all launcher apps.

Most apps that store info on the SD card (like pTunes) lets you set the folder to look in.

If your looking for a "keychain" type reader check out Lexar's "JumpDrive Trio". Put your SD card in the JumpDrive Trio, plug that into your USB port. It's USB2.0 compliant as well.
    Here is an idea that does not involve your treo:

I subscribe to an internet backup service called @backup. For a fee (I pay $49.95/yr) you get backup service of your harddrive which you can schedule at will (I back up nightly). The company also has a service called SmartClone, which they offer with a free trial. Basically, if you subscribe, you can backup files to the internet, then download them from SmartClone on your other computer. I think it's a great service and gives me real piece of mind.

It doesn't involve the Treo, which I think would be a great idea, but it's very easy and (I feel) worth the money.
    Hey this sounds pretty interesting. I want to look into this for backup of my home network.

What's the website? Are there different prices for the amount that needs to be backed up? What are the backup speeds like over the internet?

I would want to use this to back up my 200GB MP3 drive... would this actually be a suitable solution, or is this way beyond the capacity that would be practical?
    Originally posted by MoseGiganticus
    Hey this sounds pretty interesting. I want to look into this for backup of my home network.

What's the website? Are there different prices for the amount that needs to be backed up? What are the backup speeds like over the internet?

I would want to use this to back up my 200GB MP3 drive... would this actually be a suitable solution, or is this way beyond the capacity that would be practical?
    @backup works well, but 200gb is way too big. Would take forever to backup over an internet connection. And also would cost too much. I am guessing you don't really have 200gb of Mp3's. Even with 5-10gb of mp3's, I don't think that it would be worth the recurring monthly charge to back them up. (They charge based on gb of compressed space and mp3 won't compress.)
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but it's an interesting concept.

FYI, You're right that I don't have a full 200GB of MP3's yet. But i do have about 170GB at this point, and they'r e not at some ridiculously high bitrate either- they're all riped at 128 (thanks you MusicMatch). I'm a man who loves his music.

which is one of the reasons I'm so stoked about the T600. I'm tickled with the idea that i can use my phone as an MP3 player. At first, i plan to use it as a walkman, but as SD technology increases and the mem sizes increase, i plan to replace my car MP3 player (40GB). I think once the 4GBs come out this year and get affordable (another 6months probably), that will be enough for me to dicth my 40GB MP3 player except for really long rides.

So I guess I'll just keep backing up to other hard drives. thanks for the tips though.
    The website is www.backup.com. I think you can also get there from www.skydesk.com.

The price is indeed corellated to the size of the data you 'store' on their server. One thing you can do is only select the data you want (in this case just your mp3 files) and just pay to have those backed up regularly. The cost will be higher than what I pay ($49.95 for 150 mb of storage) but since you just pay it once yearly, it breaks down to a very reasonable sum monthly. I think it is worth it for peace of mind.

Check out the site and let me know your thoughts.

Lori
  15.    #15  
    Thanks to MoseGiganticus who supplied the idea of the Card Export application. While the application is still a tad buggy (it seems sensitive to who starts the connection first -- Card Export Palm app, Hotsync, or double-clicking on the Removeable Disk icon on the computer), it works!

I knew I could get some type of key or adapter, but that is not what I wanted. For the occassional file transfer (a few times a week), the speed of the Treo's card communication is not problematic.

True, I don't like the idea that I had to install this driver on both computers (work and home), or that it won't work when I take it over to a friend's house and just connect a "zip-link" Hotsync cable to his USB port, but it works for now.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and thoughts. For now, Card Export is a good little app....and hopefully, it will only get better!
    I use Card Export all the time and it works great! Much faster to install files onto the SD card than the Install tool b/c it bypases all the repetitive error checking of hotsync. I heartily recommend it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions